My husband and I are re-locating to Richmond, VA. We have a 6 month old son and need an area both safe and affordable. We have found homes we like

Asked by Julia, Augusta, GA Thu Mar 25, 2010

in Highland and Brookland Park. What can you tell me about these areas as well as suggestions for other places we might look? Thank you!

Answers

12
Jennie Dotts, Agent, Richmond, VA
Fri Mar 26, 2010
Julia
Welcome to Richmond! The city is full of old and historic neighborhoods, such as the two you mention, that are conveniently located, have a strong sense of community, and offer affordable housing.. I specialize in old houses/neighborhoods and would enjoy taking you on a tour. That is the best way to determine where you will be most satisfied and where you will find the amenities/services important to you. Church Hill, Carver, Manchester, and Barton Heights are other areas you may want to add to your list. They are close to downtown with easy interstate access to other parts of the city and surrorunding counties. Public transportation is also available. There is a large stock of older houses in the central city, built with better materials/craftsmanship than available in so many new houses, which makes them a good value. You may want to check with nonprofits such as Better Housing Coalition, HOME of VA, Inc., Richmond Redevelopment & Housing Authority, & NeighborWorks® Resource Group. These organizations present opportunities for low- and moderate-income families to purchase affordable homes. Contact me--Jennie Dotts --(804) 648-1616 if I can help.
Tom Rainsford, Home Seller, Ormond Beach, FL
Mon Apr 5, 2010
I have never heard great things about Highland or Brookland Park. Maybe check the city crime report online. My daughter and her husband bought their first house on the southside (Forest Hill area) on a pretty tight budget and they have never had any safety issues.
Susan Fisher, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Apr 15, 2010
Welcome to Richmond! I am sure you will love living in this great city full of wonderful older neighborhoods. I am familiar with both Brookland Park and Highland Park. I am more familiar with Brookland Park versus Highland Park and have listed and sold houses in that area. It's a convenient neighborhood with easy access to downtown and all interstates. I would love to meet you and show you around various neighborhoods in Richmond so you can see what each has to offer. I am also happy to set you up to receive listings that match your criteria throughout the Richmond Metropolitan area. Richmond is a very easy city to commute in so you can live practically anywhere and get to other parts of the city in 20 minutes or less. I am happy to help whenever you are ready!

Susan Fisher
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Johnson & Thomas
804-338-3378
susan.fisher@coldwellbanker.com
Jamie Chafin, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Midlothian, VA
Tue Apr 6, 2010
Julia,
Welcome to Richmond! It is a great place to raise a family and I believe you will find it to be one of the most cordial places to live that you have experienced. Of course, I am a little biased. I have lived here all of my life.

Part of the homebuying process, as you know, is getting approved for a home loan. Sellers in the Richmond area need to know that you are credit approved to purchase a home when you make an offer. Let me know if you like to participate in my mortgage strategy and approval session. We will go over all aspects of buying a home and certainly determine your comfort zone for payment. We will also discuss your short and long term financial goals and plan you home loan accordingly. This truly is the first step in getting ready to purchase.

Give me a call and we can set up a time to chat over the phone or if you are going to be Richmond soon, we will set up a time to meet each other. The coffee is always on at my office. My name is Jamie Lee Chafin with Village Bank Mortgage and we are here to serve you. Our slogan says it all, "Where You're a Neighbor, not a number. You can reach me at 804.897.1000. Welcome to Richmond... you will be glad you made the move.

Jamie Lee
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hello Julia,
Moving to an area that you are not familiar with can be daunting. Are you thinking about purchasing or renting a home. Often, people who are relocating choose to get to know the area a little better before they purchase. A short-term lease is sometimes a good alternative to purchasing something right away. For example, I have a home that I am renting out for $1195 which has 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. It was just remodeled in September of last year. It has 2 new heat pumps, roof and windows, fenced-in front and back yards with a deck and screened porch. It is located in the west end off of Monument Avenue in Henrico County. I also allow my tenants to break their lease with me if they purchase a home from me. It is available on April 12, 2010. Call me if you are interested.

Brenda Feria
Owner/Broker
Park Place Properties, Inc.
5604 Grove Avenue
Richmond, VA 23226
804-285-2828 ext 3002
804-347-6925 cell
bferia@aol.com
Hablo espanol.
Bridget Hodg…, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Julia,
Good luck with your move - I hope that you will love Richmond as much as I do. I remember how stressful it was to move with an infant - so many things to consider. I made the opposite move, north to south, but still had the same struggle to get to know the city quickly. There are many helpful agents in Richmond - but I thought I would mention one in particular. Kay Thomas is a friend and co-worker of mine, and she is from Georgia. I know that she would put your mind at ease and help you narrow down your search. When I first arrived, I found comfort it meeting others from New York - sometimes that common thread helps ease our concern.
So - as much as I would love to help you with your search, I really would recommend Kay. She's as nice as can be - and really has the experience to make the whole process pleasant.
Welcome to Richmond. I hope that you and your family will be very happy here.

Bridget Hodgson
Long & Foster
Office # (easiest way to reach Kay) (804)560-7625
Barbara Reag…, Agent, Henrico, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
As someone who lives in the Bellevue area of the northside of the city, I am familiar with many of the different city neighborhoods, both north and south of the river. There are many wonderful areas of the city of Richmond, as well as the counties such as in Henrico and Chesterfield that will offer you county conveniences close to the city of Richmond. With so many wonderful neighborhoods to choose from, a lot will depend upon what exactly you are looking for a in home and what price you want to pay, as well as whether or not you want something that is older, something newer, something already renovated or something that you can renovate & put your own personal touch on. With so many great areas in the city, each with their own flavor (so to speak), I think that it is hard to say which neighborhood is the best one for you. A tour around the city of Richmond will give you a much better feel for the area. Feel free to visit my website, where you can find a video that I did as an overview of the area. I think this will help you get a good idea of the city and the surrounding area. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Good luck to you with your move to Richmond.
Wythe Shockl…, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hi Julia,
When a family relocates to Richmond I offer a tour of the city. We can take 1/2 to a full day touring the city so you will become knowledgeable about the area. Also you can get a lot of information about the city at my blog at http://www.richmondhomeownersdepot.com. As we go along we will identify with your needs for a house such as affordablity and your wants like a pool. Then the next day we can look at houses. I have sold houses all over the city as well as Highland and Brookland Park.
Are you relocating with a relocation company or on you own?
You may feel free to call me if you have any questions. No strings....just happy to help and I am a Richmond native so I love to help people relocating here.
Wythe Shockley
Joyner Fine Properties
619 Maple Ave
Richmond, VA 23226
804-874-0579
wythe@wytheshockley.com
Betty Hesalt…, Agent, Glen Allen, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hi Julia!

I am not exactly sure which neighborhood you are speaking of with Highland, as there are several neighborhoods that start with that name, but Brookland Park tells me you may like the older , homes with character. Richmond is filled with lots of neighborhoods that offer similar homes, but with different price points.

Please visit my website at http://www.BettySellsHouses.com to find houses in the price range you desire and also find out about schools. Even if you think you may move before your son goes to school they make a huge difference in resale in the future.

Feel free to contact me for any additional information. I will be happy to suggest additional neighborhoods to you.
Raven Sickal, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hi Julia,

My firm specializes in areas in and around all areas of Richmond Virginia. I will be happy to discuss you and your family's very important criteria and needs. Feel free to contact me by email at Raven@CottageandLoftRealty.com. I will be more than happy to help you find the perfect home! Thank you for your interest!

Raven Sickal, Broker

5006-B Monument Ave
Richmond, VA 23230
(804) 909-2755 cellular
(804) 340-0280 office
(804) 340-0282 fax
http://www.cottageandloftrealty.com
Tony Proto, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Hi Julia,

Richmond has much to offer, and I would be delighted to show you all the areas meeting your needs. When will you be visiting next?

I would like to have a conversation with you and talk about your families needs. My contact information is below:

Tony Proto
REALTOR®, Senior Housing Specialist™, e-PRO®

Multi-Million Dollar Producer

Licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia

Virginia Properties, A Long & Foster Company
412 Libbie Avenue, Richmond, VA 23226
Office: 804-287-4686
e-Fax: Click Here to Retrieve a Cover Sheet
Email: Tony@TonyProto.com

Web Site: http://www.TonyProto.com

Blog: http://tonyproto.wordpress.com

Please call or email me. I would be delighted to help!
Pat Mulligan,…, Agent, Chesapeake, VA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
I don;t know the Richmond market, but for an excellent REALTOR very familiar with that area, call Brenda Woods, RE/<MAX Alleigance-- you will be glad you did! Her cell is: 804-337-5974