Moving in Pleasanton>Question Details

Jim, Renter in Pleasanton, CA

Moving to Pleasanton, but working in SF. How is the commute?

Asked by Jim, Pleasanton, CA Tue Aug 14, 2012

What sort of time should I expect to be on the road without carpool? Frequency of accidents, stop-and-go traffic, any first hand knowledge would be very appreciated!

Hi Thomas,

If you click on the link located below it will take you to a real-time “Pleasanton to San Francisco” Google map that estimates this commute with current traffic, which may or may not reflect reality based on when you actually start your commute:

Now, assuming you have a specific day/time in mind you can also obtain a historical estimate of commute time; here’s how:

1) In the upper right hand corner of the map Click "Traffic".
2) In the bottom left hand corner Click the "change" link right next to where it says "Live Traffic".
3) Next Click the "Traffic at day and time" button and set the day & time you want to check for your likely commute time.

I would take the "stress-free" option -- BART!

Carpooling has its advantages and disadvantages; however, if interested, you can check out the Carpool matching service under the “Go Green” link at the top of the website.

I would avoid the drive is at all possible. BART or van pool are good options. Talk to your employer about work-from-home opportunities.
Check the bart website or best to go directly to a local pro at "Find a Pro" in the header of this website.
It can take 40 minutes or 90 minutes and everything in between. I cannot imagine doing that every day.
I live in Pleasanton and I take Bart (subway) to Downtown San Francisco (New Montgomery) and it takes me right around a 1 hour each way. I live on the East Side of town near Main st. I part at the West Dublin/Pleasanton station. Train ride is 40 minutes. I have a wireless hotspot for my laptop so I'm able to get lots of work done and answers question on Trulia during the commute. I did the drive to 2.5 years and taking Bart is much more relaxing and much more consistent on how long the commute is. Driving the commute time varied by 30 minutes on any given day. Bart only varies by about 10 minutes.
I hope this helps.
Hello Thomas,
As Carl has mentioned, it really does depend on what part of this city you live in. We moved here 16 plus years ago with commuting to Oakland Airport and SF as a crucial element. I would try to stick to the West Side of Pleasanton, that will help you quite a bit.
There is a New Bart Station at the Mall, which is nice, and seems to have decent parking. I would try and Bart. Iif your going to drive, there are some commuter spots, you can meet up with other drivers, right by the Fed Ex , on the West Side. You can then use the Carpool lanes on the Bridge, again another crucial element to ease the Commute. Don't forget about getting a Fast Track , for Tolls.

Julia Murtagh~ Pleasanton Realtor
"Bringing Integrity to Your Front Door"
925-997-2411~ Feel free to call or email
Totally depends on where you live in Pleasanton, when you leave, which way you go, which bridge you use, what part of the city you are going to, whether or not there are accidents (there is no set frequency of accidents) ...

Pleasanton city center to SF city center is approximately 40 miles and, in clear traffic, you can expect it to take 50 minutes. In rush hour, that can easily be doubled.

Since there are two BART stations that serve Pleasanton, that might be the better way to go.
We lived in Dublin for 20 years; through a lot of highway construction and growth:
We loved Pleasanton. We loved visiting S.F.
I cannot imagine doing both!

If you are bound and determined; I would use Bart, not driving:
You are looking at 1 1/2 hours, on a good day!
Unless you are going in at 4:00 and getting off at 2:00.

And this is experience talking;
First we lived in Sunnyvale and I commuted to South San Francisco, up 280.
Then, we moved to Dublin while I was working in Mountain View.
I've got the scars.

The secret is having a big, comfortable car, (gas mileage is a lot less important) and I listened to books-on-tape; quite a few books over the period.

Good luck and may God bless