Moving in Hurlburt Field>Question Details

Jennifer Fuc…, Renter in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I will be PCSing to Hurlburt Field AFB soon. Where are the most popular locations to move within 15 miles of base and what areas should I avoid?

Asked by Jennifer Fuchs, Fort Walton Beach, FL Mon May 28, 2012

Answers

7
Stevemailformars’ answer
Hurlburt is located on Highway 98 between Fort Walton Beach and Navarre. The town is called Mary Esther. 98 is problematic in that it can be conjested, particularly during tourist season. Hurlburt is in Okaloosa County, but very close to Santa Rosa County line. Along 98 are many small neighborhoods that are safe with lots of kids. Most have French sounding names. Some subdivision signs are gone by now. Moderately priced houses. Probably best to find a home for sale or rent in one of those small subdivisions, close to the main 98 entrance to the base. Best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
I've lived in Navarre and commuted to Hurlburt for a few years. We are moving back to the area again soon. We loved Navarre. Its pretty quiet. The commute wasn't to bad. For the most part though, Fort Walton, Mary Esther, Niceville are all nice and nearby. We are even considering Crestview which is a long commute but there are some amazing deals out there if you are OK wit the commute.

A lot of my friends and colleagues from work commuted from Crestview.

Josh
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 29, 2012
Congratulations on getting orders to paradise! If you’re thinking about buying a home off base so that your BAH goes toward an investment, there are a few neighborhoods to keep in mind. Keep in mind, though, that as real estate agents, we can't recommend one neighborhood over another.

Many folks stationed at Hurlburt Field live in Navarre, Mary Esther and Fort Walton Beach, which are all within 15 miles. To the east, of Hurlburt Mary Esther and Fort Walton Beach feature all of the shopping and eating amenities that a typical urban area offer and they are also primarily older neighborhoods. To the west, Navarre, and Holley by the Sea offers an alternative with many homes being ten years old or less, with lots of new construction. All of these neighborhoods offer relatively quick access to the beach.
Just west of the base is Holley by the Sea communit of over 2000 homes widely separated by lots of land with a multi-million dollar community center. Good schools and an easy commute to base and the beach makes this almost paradise. Give me a call and I can help you find the perfect home for your family. Thanks Mike Moran Broker Associate, CDR, USN, retired 850-221-8024
I was stationed at Hurlburten during my career and lived in Mary Esther and Niceville. The new by pass will make Niceville even more attractive.
Karen is correct; however, I would include the community of Niceville in my areas to consider. While Niceville is approximately 20 miles from Hurlburt...it can often be a faster commute then some areas of Navarre.

If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to call, text or email anytime

Take Care!

Susan Rood
Broker Associate
Keller Williams Realty Emerald Coast
YourEmeraldCoastRealtor@gmail.com
SeeLocalHomesOnline.com
850-855-7411
Congratulations on your assignment to Hurlburt. To stay within 15 miles of the base, you need to be looking at properties in Fort Walton Beach, Shalimar, Mary Esther & Navarre (not in any particular order). All have some nice neighborhoods.

If you are purchasing a home/townhome the only area I would caution you on is areas that may put you in a flood zone. Outside of that, it's actually against the law for a real estate professional to steer you towards or away from any neighborhoods.

If you would like a list of properties that may meet your needs, I would be happy to send to you. Let me know if I can help.

Karen Butler, Realtor
Military Relocation Specialist
Coldwell Banker United Realtors
Karen@KarenButler.com
850-830-8780
http://www.fwbhomesforsale.com or http://www.KarenButler.com