Dsonvico, Other/Just Looking in Dulles, VA

I may be getting a position working in Dulles I would be looking in the price range of 300k what would be a good suburban area to live in. 45 min driv

Asked by Dsonvico, Dulles, VA Fri Sep 4, 2009

Would not be opposed to commuting 45 min or so living in noorthern nj my drive is an hour anywhere

Answers

7
Elderberry, , Loudoun County, VA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Definitely depends what kind of lifestyle you want.

In 45 minutes you could be all the way into West Virginia! Where you could buy quite a big house or a big piece of land.

If you need good schools I'd recommend Loudoun County or Fairfax County. Loudoun has one educational disadvantage which is that school boundaries have been changing very often because of growth and kids have had to switch schools often.

Best bang for the buck housewise closer than West Virginia would certainly be Winchester, a nice medium sized town with friendly people but might be a little culture shock if you are a liberal politically. South of Winchester is the Shenandoah Valley and the northern part is also within a commute if you think you wnat more land or a reverview.

Loudoun has a rural west and a suburban east. Take your pick in Loudoun of winding rural roads and small farms or large subdivisions with plenty of shopping centers and future access to the subway coming someday. In Loudoun, Leesburg is the historical County seat that also has an outlet mall, Purcellville is an old farming town that's now a bedroom suburb, and Middleburg is still a horse-oriented very small town tourist attraction. Aldie is a very very small village and many homes that have an Aldie address are really in subdivisions east of the village, not in it. In the suburban area of Loudoun, Lansdowne, Ashburn, are well-known areas. South Riding, Countryside, Brambleton, are other well-known subdivisions. In your price range you will find both townhouses and single family, depending on the aREA.

Fairfax is more densely developed and definitely culturally diverse. Probably a bit less for your money in that some housing will be older and maybe smaller. The "named towns" in Fairfax are really indistinguishable from the surrounding sprawl. But individual neighborhoods can be very attractive. In general, you will probably want to look at Oakton, Vienna, Fair Lakes, or western Fairfax; some people liked the planned community of Reston.

Route 66 is a major highway commute route west. Routes 15, 29, 50 and 7 are multilane roads but not what you think of as highways. Route 7 gets quite congested. There is a toll road west from Dulles as well(Rt. 267).

There is lots of inventory now and many short sales and foreclosures in all areas. You will have a lot to choose from.
Danilo Bogda…, Agent, Reston, VA
Sun Sep 6, 2009
Dsonvico,

Staying within a 45 minute radius of Dulles gives you many options. What will dictate which area(s) you focus on more so than the commute itself is the type of property you would like (condo, town home or single family) at that price point.

For example...Mclean is within 45 minutes of Dulles as is Purcellville. But $300K will get you a 2/2 condo in Mclean versus possibly a small single family home in Purcellville.

Email or call me so we can chat more 703.582.6900. I've lived in Northern VA since the age of 5 and know the area well.

Danilo
http://LoudounScene.com
http://LoudounForeclosures.com
Janice Copel…, Agent, Winchester, VA
Fri Sep 4, 2009
Hi there,

Great question! I have helped many clients who work in Dulles get into a GREAT house within 40 minutes right here in Winchester, VA. Infact I used to live in Loudoun County myself for many years, before deciding to move further west to Winchester so that we could get a bigger house for our money AND we can enjoy quiet and mountains-- all while still being close enough to Dulles. With the foreclosures and buyer's market we find ourselves in now, I could show you a ton of houses well under $300,000! with finished basements 4-5 bedrooms and 2-3 baths! So you have PLENTY of options.

I'd love to speak with you further to learn of your preferences in what you are looking for. Feel free to give me a call at 540-931-5050 or email me. It would be my sincere pleasure to help you. Best of luck to you!

Warmly
Janice Copeland, REALTOR
Skyline Team Real Estate
540-931-5050
janice@janicecopeland.com
http://www.JaniceCopeland.com
Joan Elkon, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Fri Sep 4, 2009
There are many options including new construction in the price range and in the commuting time you desire.
I live in the northwestern part of Loudoun County, and that is within 45 mins of Dulles airport. There are several other locations that would meet your needs
Please feel free to email me at joanelkon@weichert.com or call me at (703)577-9953.
Joan Elkon,
Weichert, Realtors,
Associate Broker
Leesburg, VA
Brent Cline, , Winchester, VA
Fri Sep 4, 2009
Winchester, VA may be a good choice for you. If you were on the east side of Winchester, you would be about 40 minutes from Dullas. You shold be able to get a lot of bang for your buck in that price range. If I can be of assistance please let me know. 5406649130 or brentcline@mris.com
Andy Krumholz, Agent, Reston, VA
Fri Sep 4, 2009
Hi Dsonvico,

There are plenty of possibilities for you in 300k price range, and you would be well within a 45 minute commute to the Dulles area. A lot depends on what your requirements are for the home you want. Do you want a detached home, or is a townhouse acceptable. How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you need? What else is important to you? I'm originally from Bergen County, and I know that housing up there is quite expensive. While it's not inexpensive down here, it may be less then what you're accustomed to in NJ.

If you would like to elaborate on your requirements, I could email you a sampling of listings that would meet your criteria. If interested, you can reach me at: ajkrumholz@yahoo.com, or you could reach me on my cell phone at 703-599-4755.

Good luck with the job.
Andy Krumholz
Glenda Cherry, Agent, Herndon, VA
Fri Sep 4, 2009
What kind of home do you prefer? Detached or townhouse? How big? Do you need a garage? Depending on your answers, there may be a lot of options for you within 45 minutes of Dulles.