I have a budget of 150k am 29yo female who works for the airline. I need to pick a location where I could easily find roomates.

Asked by Melody, Gastonia, NC Mon Nov 9, 2009

Answers

19
Team Ludlow’s answer
Team Ludlow, , Charlotte, AR
Fri Jun 4, 2010
Melody:

We play ball just about every weekend at Martha Rivers park. I know Gastonia well. There are many areas around Charlotte that would be convenient for you to the airport but also a good place to get renters. I would start in Ballantyne, SouthPark or close to uptown for roommate situations.
Visit our website for more free information
Holly Would, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Jan 11, 2010
Your question brought back some crazy memories....I was a flight attendant when I graduated college....many many years ago! There were 6 females in a 2 bedroom condo...we had no trouble finding roomates in NYC!!!

I do not think you will have any problem getting roomates...are you considering purchasing a home, while your roomates pay rent and build your equity? I can help with both...call or email me. I am a broker with Keller Williams.

Holly@TeamHolly-would.com
704.502.7744
Ghennet Gher…, , Charlotte, NC
Sun Jan 10, 2010
Hi Melody

I would recommend anywhere near Uptown, University area or South Tryon area. These three seam to have the largest density of businesses. With that said its best to talk to people about finding a roommate as soon as possible. Its a tough rental market right now with so many rentals available at reasonable pricing.

If you need any help finding a home I'd love to help, give me a call.

Ghennet Gherezghier

Realtor/Broker

Wilkinson & Associates

Phone- 704-641-5865
Judith Dowda…, Agent, Cornelius, NC
Tue Nov 10, 2009
Hello Melody:

If you work for the arline you probably would like to be in an area with easy access to the airport. If you are interested in having a room mate, you would probably want each bedroom to have it's own bath.

Before I can answer your question intelligently I need to know? How many room mates? Schedule (if you don't have to commute in rush hour your area expands, maybe a lake condo) Do ou want a house, condo, townhome?

Contact me through my website if you would like some professional help.

Best reagrds, Judy.
Scott Pridem…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Nov 10, 2009
Good suggestion Lexie. You can’t go wrong with Southpark.
Lexie Longst…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Nov 10, 2009
Hey Melody,
I think your best bet is around Southpark Mall. There are a lot of condos in that area with 2 baths, in your price range, and that is a great area. The Southpark area is one of the largest "business areas" in the state so there are lots of people looking to live near their jobs. The mall also attracts a lot of young people with their first jobs just out of college, so many times they are looking for room mates too.

The large Harris Y is in the hood - a huge "value add". The mall provides shopping, there are bars and restaurants and movies, etc. The area is considered safe. Coming home late at night or leaving early in the morning... shouldn't be a problem.
Southpark is also really a quick hop out Tyvola Road to the airport. And best of all Southpark has had steady appreciation... it is always a popular place to live.

I've made a custom search for you to the condos in the area that I think are good bets! Just click and you can make adjustments to it. Have fun looking. http://tiny.cc/MelonySouthpark
Scott Pridem…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Melody,
If you would prefer to explore rentals for the time being. I would be happy to help you with that as well.
Here to help,
Scott Pridemore
Shelley Simm…, , Charlotte, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hi Melody,
I would love to assist you in your search. I too am an ex-Airline employee. I worked for USAir for 20 years before I got into Real Estate about 10 years ago. I was 2 yrs. old when I started. LOL. I think I was dating myself there...Anyway, I understand the business and would really like to talk further about which areas would work best for all of your needs. I can also help you get the $8,000 tax credit. So, Call me as soon as you can. My direct line is 704-619-7355 Shelley
Lynn Johnson, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hi Melody,

I just helped a flight attendant find a cute house in South Charlotte. I am sure she would be happy to speak with you about her buying experience. I can help you find a place to suit your budget and also be in a good location to find a room-mate. However, I would like to discuss this with you privately so please give me a call at 704-756-7005.

Thanks!
Robin Faison, Agent, Huntersville, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Melody,
I like Birkdale because it is such a happening place. You have shopping, Lake Norman, Jetton Park, Blythe Landing, Latta Plantation. You are about 25 minutes from the airport. Finding roommates is pretty easy in that location. Many people in the airline industry live in this area because of the easy commute down I-77 and the lifestyle. Also, Huntersville taxes are less than South Charlotte.
My second favorite place for young women is the Stonecrest or Ballantyne area. Again the shopping and restaurants are great. You can expect a 15-20 minute commute depending on time of day. There are many houses, townhouses, condos to look at. Love to help you find your place.
Robin 704-564-5607
Scott Pridem…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hello Melody,
I've set-up a search for you in Trulia that may help you. This is the criteria I used.
1. priced from $100,000-$200,000 (assuming the ability to negotiate (down) as your preferred price point is $150,000).
2. Areas that have a strong rental history and demand.
3. Where would I choose for my own sister?

Follow this link or copy and paste and you’re off.
http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/28203_zip/3p_beds/TOWNHOUSE,CONDO…

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

All the best to you,
Scott A. Pridemore
Andrew Graham, , Davidson, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
I don't blame you, if you are only going to be there 10 days out of a month it makes perfect sense to have roommates. Places that are appealing to renters are in most cases going to be the same areas that you would be comfortable living. I would say that you first need to find out the area you want to live, do you want a house or a condo/townhome? close to work? shopping? interstates? and many more questions. I actually have a detailed questionaire that goes over in detail your desires in finding a new home. After you know the area and type of home you want, then consider where the renters are. Keep in mind you probably don't want a neighborhood with a lot of renters because those areas usually do not do as well as neighborhoods with mostly homeowners. Finding your perfect home is paramount and then finding the renters should not be an issue.
Web Reference:  http://www.andrewBgraham.com
Carmen Hunter…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hi Melody,
Do you already have friends or associates that you would want to share a home with? If so start with them and see what they'd be willing to pay to share a room. Would you be needing their rent in order to make the monthly payment or are you wanting the extra income? How long you'll be in the home should be considered due to current market conditions and potential resale. Numerous questions but there's a lot to consider when making an investment in a home. I would tend to look in the Southend area of Charlotte for a great location and access to all areas for commuting.
Melody, Home Buyer, Gastonia, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
I know I can afford on my own without roomates however, I don't see the point in buying and only being there 10 days out of the month and wasting the income capability. I really just need help deciding where to look that is appealing to renters.
Andrew Graham, , Davidson, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Melody,

That's a great question and my fiance actually did the same thing with your townhome in Charlotte. She has a 3BR/2.5BA townhome and had two roomates to help her with her mortgage. It definitely is something to consider as my fiance was able to save money with the additional income. I would advise you to make sure whatever you buy, you are able to pay the mortgage on your own without the need for roomates, because there will be times when your bedrooms will be empty! It would be a pleasure to discuss this further with you and give you insight from my fiance on the best way to approach this.

Thank you and good luck!

Andrew Graham, Trusted Real Estate Advisor
Wilkinson & Associates Real Estate
Direct: 980-521-0512
Office: 704-393-0048
Email: andrew@andrewBgraham.com
Website: http://www.andrewBgraham.com
Sean Dawes, , Philadelphia, PA
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Melody,

Make sure buying is really the best option. Many realtors will chime in and encourage you to buy.

Just make sure like I mentioned it really is the best option.

Sean Dawes
Kelly Sniate…, Agent, Matthews, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hi Melody, I would love to help you out. There are plenty of areas in Charlotte where you will not have a problem finding a roomate. Is there any particular side of town you prefer over another.

Kelly Sniatecki
Jim Wells, , Charlotte, NC
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Hi Melody,
There are alot of details to discuss when choosing a home to purchase. You need someone to work with that will be your advocate in the purchase process. As a buyer's agent, I would be pleased to work with you as your advocate every step of the way.

I work with buyer's to get the best deal possible, and make the purchase process is as stress free as possible. Please contact me so we can discuss how I may be of service to you. I look forward to assisting you at any time. Thanks.

Jim Wells
Nord Realty
704-493-6691
Sean Dawes, , Philadelphia, PA
Mon Nov 9, 2009
So you want to buy a home and then rent part of it out to some roomates? I would be concerned about this approach as the roomates could just lease and then you are stuck with a mortgage.

Why not just sign a lease somewhere with roomates so that you are just obligated to the lease and all of their names are on it? Here in philadelphia, zoning will not allow for more than 3 non-related persons to be on a lease. So make sure you consult with some legal advice on what applies in NC or ask a realtor down there are leases.

Sean Dawes