Moving in 19426>Question Details

Lew1011, Renter in 19426

I am trying to find a place to rent with 3 dogs... seems impossible! If I do find someone to rent from, rent will be so high... should I just buy?

Asked by Lew1011, 19426 Sat Mar 26, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Moving in 19426

Determine your financing options and perform a generic search online to see if the available inventory meets your needs. If a property is part of a homeowners or condo association, inquire if their are any pet restrictions. Good hunting!
Ofcourse, if you qualify, you should buy. Why rent and throw your money!
I have done property management for some time and it is my experience that no one wants to rent to people with pets. And as you said that then you have to pay a higher rent!
This is the time to buy, with so much to choose from and 30 year low interest rate.

Shehla Karim
Weichert Realtors, Paoli
Hi there, finding a rental that will allow 3 dogs may be a very tall order - as you are already finding, landlords generally prefer no pets and if they allow, they will likely have limitations or ask for additional rent. You may find that buying a home makes more sense if you are in the position to do so.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:
Restrictions on dogs are far fewer for a home you own versus one you rent. Seller put these restrictions on because dogs can damage property, wear out carpets, floors, paint etc. Not all dogs, or dog owners are destructive, but most landlords don't want to take on the risk if they end up having to spend a lot of money on clean up and repair when you move.
If you can find a home you like in a good area I agree with my colleagues, take advantage of record low rates and prices being down. Once you own the home, you can enjoy your dogs.
If you have the finances, are ready to buy and need to buy, visit with any qualified loan officer and determine mortgage qualification, then go from there. As for renting with pets, unfortunately most landlords don't allow pets and especially more than one, therefore consider offering additional security deposit and see where it leads...
As an agent that lives and works out of Collegeville, PA, I say if you can afford to buy, buy! Especially right now with the mortgage rates at historic lows and home prices that are the most affordable that they have been in over a decade!

With that amount of dogs, depending o their size, most landlords probably will require a sizeable pet deposit in addition to the normal, first, last and one month's security. Again, for a not much more down, you could possibly be a homeowner.

Hope that answred your question,

Feel free to contact me any questions or help you may need with your upcoming move to the area

Angela Weber, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty Group