Considering move to Charlotte from NYC suburb

Asked by Jaclyn, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY Tue Sep 17, 2013

We are like so many considering a move to Charlotte for a better quality of life than our NYC suburb offers. What we love about NY: the history, the abundance of arts like theatre and music, the beautiful greenery near our suburban town, our walkable charming town, the option to have date night in the city or go apple picking upstate, our family oriented town (we have a 1 yr old), and being just 30 min to the city.
What were looking for: as much of the above as is realistic plus affordable housing (around $300k prob), a friendlier environment where people are just warmer in general and like knowing their neighbors, great schools (public or private). We will miss being near water, but I hear Lake Norman is nice for family outings?
Any thoughts would be appreciated! If youve moved from NY or the northeast, what are some pros and cons?
We will visit soon but would like to narrow down areas and just hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Answers

13
Jaclyn, Home Buyer, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
Wed Sep 25, 2013
I'd love to hear more about Belmont Christopher. What's the community like there? What's the plus side of living there over Charlotte? Any negatives?
The music is usually free (or pretty cheap), the band is usually playing in conjunction with other events that are being held there. Shopping is close; Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Walmart, Lowes are all very close and there some shops downtown also (coffee, ice cream, general store, etc.). There should be some great homes in your $300k price range in the area. Please let me know if I can be of help. I would love to show your family a list of homes whenever you visit that would interest you in this great little town. Thanks!
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
It's a great community. Downtown is beautiful. There is a park, great restaraunts owned by locals and bars too so there is some local nightlife. Theres a lot of houses available too, just depends on what you're looking for. There are some great new homes being built by home builders and older homes for sale in the area too. Schools are great here too. It's also very convenient to I-85 and Wilkinson Blvd., both of which can get you to Charlotte pretty quickly. The biggest plus would be if you want a smaller community. Everyone in this town knows everyone so thats great if your a social person. Theres also lakefront homes for sale in the area and a couple of lake accesses for Lake Wylie (much less crowded than Lake Norman) if you like watersports. You did say previously that you liked theatre and music living in NY. There is a college called Belmont Abbey that tends to have plays often. For music, the park downtown called Stowe park will have events with local bands that will play.
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
Christopher…, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Check out Belmont, NC. I have lived here most of my life. I love it and its only 20-30 minutes to Charlotte depending on traffic. Let me know if you have any questions about this particular area. Thanks!
Thu Sep 19, 2013
Thank you so much librame929. You really helped! Sounds like Charlotte is a good fit for us, as we do like being so close to a big city now. Wilmington we've looked at but prob too small. Sounds like a great place to visit though. We will be scheduling a visit to Charlotte soon!
1librame929, Home Owner, Charlotte, NC
Thu Sep 19, 2013
I did not care for Raleigh either. Charlotte has a lot more to offer. There are more things for you and your children to participate in. This is very much a family town, and a business town, bringing people here from all over the world. It is not as insular as the suburbs of NY. or the atmosphere of Chapel Hill. I moved here to be close to family.

You might take a look at Wilmington, NC. It is a much smaller town, rather than a city (like Charlotte) and everything moves much slower. The atlantic ocean beaches (Wrightsville is beautiful) are nearby. You won't find all of the amenities of Charlotte, (which is roughly three hours away) but it is a beautiful, historic town. LOTS of northerners have moved there as well.

That's about all the advice I can give you.
Wed Sep 18, 2013
One last thing I forgot. We recently visited Raleigh, having done plenty of research and having high hopes. Sadly we were disappointed. Besides Chapel Hill (and we went in the summer), Raleigh and its suburbs weren't for us. Do you prefer Charlotte over Raleigh and why?
Tue Sep 17, 2013
And yes,1librame929, I'm looking for a neighborhood with tree lined streets :)
Tue Sep 17, 2013
Thank you all for your quick replies! We do not need to live right by water and I'd probably be working in Charlotte proper. I do retail, so working at Belk's corporate office, for example, would be my commute. Any thoughts about neighborhoods we'd like not too far from downtown (or downtown) in a nice, safe area (walkable a plus)? We're thinking minimum 3 bedroom. I prefer to stay away from newer subdivisions unless they look historic in aesthetic.
1librame929, Home Owner, Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
I moved from the Stony Brook/Setauket area. What I like about my neighborhood is the non-cookie-cutter homes with old fashioned porches, parks, clubhouse and pool and the friendliest neighbors around. I live in the "original" ARDREY subdivision. You won't find anything in this neighborhood for $300K, but there are other subdivisions nearby that will fit financially.

Our neighborhood schools are some of the best in Charlotte. However, there are dozens of private schools as well. Some are quite expensive.

Also, the information on this website is not exactly accurate or up to date. They indicate my home as being in Provincetown (which is miles away from here). Also current market value is too low.

What I miss is being surrounded by large trees and a walk to the nearby L.I. Sound beach or my quaint harbor village. Also, an occasional trip to NYC.
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
Hi Jaclyn!

Congrats on considering a move down to Charlotte!

Based on your budget and what you're describing, there could be a number of different parts of the area that you may be interested in. Depending on your other criteria such as size of home, bedrooms, bathrooms, acreage, etc., we can narrow down where you most likely want to end up.

Email me directly with a bit more of that information and I can help guide you with your move.

Hope to help!

John Siddons
john.siddons@prucarolinas.com
704-458-1843
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
Good afternoon, Jaclyn:
You can find a lot of what NY offers except the quantity of nightlife, entertainment, restaurants, theater and music venues. Although we have a great cultural fabric, it is not quite as much as NYC...which in some ways is alos what makes Charlotte more appealing. Charlotte is surrounded by many walkable suburbs and towns, there are good shopping and medical services located throughout the metropolitan area and we are 3 hours from the mountains/blue ridge parkway and several ocean beaches.
At $300k, you can get lake lifestyle at Norman, Wylie or Mtn Island Lakes, but to get waterfront, you would significantly sacrifice the size/quality and other desired home features. Everything that you mention as positive "quality of life" elements, we have here - except property taxes and the cost of living is lower.
Because of the Greater Charlotte area covers hundreds of square miles, choosing a location is probably the biggest challenge for people moving here. Usually location of work and schools seem to drive the decision. You may want to read the Trulia Real Estate Blog: Which areas surrounding Charlotte would be a nice place to relocate? If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Brooke Kaiser, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
You are correct, so many from the Northeast now call the Carolinas home! The housing market is so much more affordable and there is so much to offer the entire family! If you are looking for water, both Lake Norman and Lake Wylie are options. There is an abundance of dining and entertainment, from the eclectic to sophisticated to casual. There are excellent schools, focusing on academics, sports and STEM in both the public and private sector.
I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you and assist you in your search.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Brooke Kaiser
brookekaiser@kw.com
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
I think you are making a good move.
Stephanie Bl…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Sep 17, 2013
Jaclyn,

I would first like to congratulate you on considering Charlotte! It is truly an awesome city! I have lived in 4 different states and have finally found home. What part of NY are you living in? I have family in Staten Island and I'm up in NYC quite frequently. As someone who understands both the northern and southern sides of the argument, I can tell you that you will not find a cleaner city than Charlotte! It constantly surprises me how clean the downtown is. People are all nice and willing to help you out. One thing you will not find - HORNS! We rarely use them to communicate with our fellow drivers. Charlotte is conveniently located 1.5 hours to the mountains and ski resorts and 3 hours to the beach. Our cost of living is significantly lower than NY.

As the mother of two small children, I can tell you that there are great museums, activities, and places to play and explore, though not nearly as many as NYC, and the cost is actually higher than most of the places up there. We also don't have a zoo :( There is one in Ashboro and one that I feel is better for small children in Columbia, SC. Both are 1.5 hours away though. We have 2 large lakes for boating, swimming, and family fun. Lake Norman is north of Charlotte and Lake Wylie is south. Both are large and have great recreational areas.

I love raising my children here and feel comfortable letting them play outside and even allow my kindergartener to walk to her friend's house down the street. While each neighborhood is different, I have found in general that everyone is very nice, helpful, and looks out for one another.

I would love to talk with you further about Charlotte and the surrounding areas. You can contact me at 704-759-6168, sblackburn@dlmortonrealty.com, or visit my website at http://www.thecarolinashomefinder.com

Stephanie Blackburn
I can relate to many northeasterner's concerns and would love to give you my honest feedback based on my experiences here. I'm just a phone call away and I'm here seven days a week to be of service.

Warm regards,

Belinda Agosto, Realtor, CDPE, CIAS
ERA Wilkinson & Associates Real Estate
704.200.8823.

http://www.CharlotteHomeConnect.com
http://www.CharlotteHomesConnect.com
http://www.CharlotteForeclosureRescue.com
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
I'm from Fairfield, CT and lived/worked in NYC after college until 1996 when my husband's job took us all over the country, the Caribbean and South America. I've relocated to Charlotte in 2003 and have made it my permanent home. I do love Charlotte, but it's nothing like NYC, although it does have all the modern amenities a metropolitan city has to offer. I have two teen-aged boys going to one of the state's top exemplary schools of honor in Davidson, NC (about 25 minutes N of Charlotte). I love the international airport since I travel abroad several times a year. One of the drawbacks in my opinion is that if you're into gastronomy big time, you're going to miss all those great, ethnically diversified NYC restaurants. I'm very picky and I actually visit NY several times a year just to eat in my favorite Puerto Rican, Chinese and Italian restaurants. But afterwards, I'm very happy coming back home to my home and neighbors!
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013