Best place to live in Florida with family?

Asked by Hashmat Khalil, Wed Jan 26, 2011

I'M moving to Florida this summer with my wife and 4 kids Where would be the best place to live in Florida with family. I thinking Miami, Orlando, and Melbourne, which one is the best choice out of all these, any other suggestions will be appreciated too. Thanks

Answers

14
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Are you definitely wanting to move to the east coast of FL or would you consider the west coast? Sarasota County is an excellent choice for a family with children. We have excellent schools, close to the beach, golfing, fishing, biking, boating, museums, art, and many other culturual and recreational activities.

How to choose the right neighborhood
One of the most important things to determine in buying a home is location, location, location. How do you know what neighborhood is right for you? Here is a list that might help you.

1. Would you enjoy living there?
2. How far of a commute is it from work, school, shopping, hospitals, restaurants, parks, entertainment and transportation? Take a test drive.
3. Drive through the neighborhood to get an idea of what it is like. You may want to go at different times throughout the day. What is the noise and traffic level?
4. Does the neighborhood have curb appeal? It is well maintained? Does it have nice landscaping?
5. Does the neighborhood fit in with your demographics? Are you looking for a family friendly neighborhood, a deed restricted neighborhood, a 55 and older retirement neighborhood, or a high or low income neighborhood?
6. Price makes all the difference. Do some research to find out the price range of the neighborhoods so that you can eliminate ones that do not fit within your budget.
7. Check to see what the neighborhood crime statistics are. Look around for graffiti or other signs of criminal activity. Check with local police or check the police blotter in the local newspaper. You want to live in a safe neighborhood.
8. Be aware of any new construction or zoning laws that may be in the neighborhood.
9. If you are choosing a deed restricted community with a homeowner association, find out what the fees are?

For more information go to HGTV's FrontDoor article: http://www.frontdoor.com/Buy/How-to-Choose-a-Neighborhood/1162.

Best wishes in your home search.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
What is the percentage of unemployment there? thank you
Flag Fri Jan 11, 2013
Luis E. Loza…, Agent, Weston, FL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Weston Florida is for me, safe, good schools, 70% are families with children.
Ray And Karen…, Agent, Mount Dora, FL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Hi Hashmat!

Here is some information about Lake County and Mount Dora the New England of the South.

The beauty of Lake county captures the hearts of its visitors. Lake county is unlike anywhere else in Florida; rolling hills, over 1,400 spacious lakes, picturesque golf courses, and spectacular scenery can be your everyday experience.

Mount Dora attracts thousands of visitors to the Mount Dora Arts and Crafts Festival, plus the antique boat and car shows and sailing regattas.

Only 25 miles from Orlando, Lake county's charm makes the big city seem far away. Mount Dora is known as the New England of the South. The combination of Southern hospitality and New England charm are the main ingredients to the romantic lifestyle. It’s no secret why Mount Dora has won numerous awards.

Karen Levy

Coldwell Banker Camelot Realty
Mount Dora, FL
352-636-6579
Arrasmith159…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Nov 4, 2015
I am moving to Florida, but we want to be on east coast, but no in Miami. I have children, we want to be near the water but still have privacy and close to fun. Where should I go?????
, ,
Tue Mar 4, 2014
Good Morning,

I have lived in all 3 of these areas, and I can tell you that your kids would thank you if you moved to the South Florida area. Miami may not be the best idea, but there are plenty of suburbs around that offer a short drive to all of the action. There is no place like South Florida, and the booming real estate market is evidence that this area is highly desirable. If you'd like to speak in further detail, reach out to me at:

954-626-6414 (Office)
954-242-3563 (Cell)
Ximena Rosen…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Tue Mar 4, 2014
Hi :)

Please check this video out, and let me know what do you think ;)

http://youtu.be/63mpGTQ7NCM

This city has:
- Eight amazing parks for kids
- A+ Schools
- Free fun activities
- And much more...

Ximena Rosensweig
SIGMA
Parkland Resident
Direct Line: 954-670-7994
xrosensweig@gmail.com
John Bennett, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun Feb 23, 2014
Florida is like a huge Ice Cream store, so many flavors. I would be happy to show you the Central Florida Flavors, Orlando, Seminole, Lake Western Volusia, Sumter.
amuhleisen, Both Buyer And Seller, Arkport, NY
Sun Feb 23, 2014
I'd like to know where you ended up and how you and your family likes it. Our goal is to move to Florida within a year.
If you're interested in the Gulf Coast, I'd recommend the Navarre area; I've called it home for 12 years and I love how family-centered all the local activities are and the beautiful white sand, crystal clear waters. Call me or email me if you're interested in seeing some listings here! (850)567-3963 kate@bluemarlinrealtygroup.com
Flag Fri Mar 7, 2014
Do check out Harmony in Osceola County, just east of St. Cloud. Fabulous place to raise a family. You will be glad you checked.
Flag Wed Mar 5, 2014
Chrism, Home Buyer, Shasta Lake, CA
Sun Oct 21, 2012
There are a ton of good places in Florida to live and visit if you are even remotely interested! I traveled to a ton of cities before I settled down in Palm Bay and the hotels were just a good help for us all. The Palm Bay hotel http://(www.palmbay-hotel.com) was cheap and great way for us to sight see and save money all at once.
John Bennett, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU . . .that others would suggest some other place in Florida than were I work.
Fact is, Florida has TONS of great areas - each with a different flavor, each with great things to do.
I was born in the Miami area, and now live in the Orlando area, but lived in the South Florida area 2002-2005.
As I kid spent lots to time in Ft Pierce area, Keys, Orlando.. About the only place I have not spent some time is the Jax area- and for good reasons. Now that will draw some fire.
Hashmat, your best choice is to spend a day or two working with Realtors in each of about 10 areas in Florida. Tell them what you are doing, have them plan a day or two showing you Areas (not many homes, just areas) along the line you are looking for.
What you need to tell the Realtor:
1. Price Range
2. Type of schools - Here we grade schools A best to " F"
3. What your family enjoys doing
4. size of home - bed baths - pool, no pool, lot size, gated, shopping requirements
Then let agent plan a day or two showing you around.
3 to 4 weeks you will know your agent and your area.
John
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Good Morning Hashmat;
Melbourne, Brevard County.
Close to the Atlantic Ocean, Orlando, Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, I-95.
Very very reasonable prices for all types of housing.
Contact me for more info.
Phil Rotondo, Realtor
ERA Showcase Properties and Investments
Melbourne, Fl.
1-321-394-7878
mailto:phil@321property.com
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Hashmat,

Florida is a wonderful state and a fantastic place to call home. There are so many different variables and as one who has been to every nook and cranny of the state I found that northern Palm Beach and Martin Counties offer me and my family the best of everything. The best weather and best beach access you will find anywhere; throw in some of the best schools in the state I suggest you take a look into the Jupiter/Tequesta/Hobe Sound area. You might take the time to read a blog I did on the area a while back;

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/jupiter-rocks/

I hope this information is helpful and if I can be of service in any way please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference:  http://www.tompriester.com
Dave Griswol…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Wed Jan 26, 2011
HI Hashmat a great deal of my family live in Lake City.. we've been there and it's not as hot, not tourist sites, and they say better on the hurricanes, prices are great, family oriented area .
easy access to 10, 95, and we think it's 75

All the Best

Dave & Lisa
Web Reference:  http://www.urhomerealty.net
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Wed Jan 26, 2011
You might want to check out the Florida Panhandle, as our schools are excellent for your children, and there is a huge population of military families--so you have a healthy community of all ages, great shopping, most beautiful beaches in the country, and no rambling suburbs. Our schools are ranked the best in Florida!!

Would love to share more information if you have an interest. Look up Okaloosa Schools, and look into Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, Niceville, Navarre, Crestview--see what you think. Would love to welcome you here to this area.

Myke Triebold, GRI, LMC
http://www.DestinHomeRealtor.com
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
850-305-6256
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
I am moving to Florida. My husband will be working in Destin. We want to find a place no more then 40 minutes from destin. I have a 5 year old. What is the best town or county. I did research and found Walton or Okaloosa county. Problem is I want low crime rate, great schools. But close to stores. Possibly beaches but not neccessary. We have to live on no more then 1000 a month in rent and utilities and a 2 bedroom. Great place for kids. PLEASE HELP
Flag Fri Mar 20, 2015