Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Missouri : Real Estate Advice

  • All132
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying77
  • Home Selling11
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 29
Mon Mar 6, 2017
Naveen asked:
Hi, I have a house in 63114 and looking for handyman, GC for help with house ReHab.
Please reply. Thanks.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 12, 2016
MCM_STL answered:
There is very little traffic here these days. Here is a bit of info from the cty's website.

May I suggest you call or e-mail the agent I use? He does a ton of work with rehabbers and is active in St. Louis City redevelopment efforts.

Sean Hayes
Realtor Associate
Coldwell Banker Premier Group

2203 South Big Bend Boulevard
Saint Louis, MO 63117

DIRECT PHONE: (314) 591-6808
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Apr 20, 2015
Ron Krauch answered:
This is a question that requires the opinions of a few professionals. You can talk with a real estate broker as to which of your proposed improvements will yield the best result for your particular situation. Also, an architect to help you plan the space and a contractor to estimate today's costs to execute whichever plan you choose.

Good Luck!

Ron Krauch
Managing Broker
Emerald Estates Realty, Inc.
Palos Heights, IL 60463
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 13, 2015
Caleb Hart answered:
I know it just depends on the area you live in. There are some areas where hardwood floors sell a lot faster than those with tile. Some people have an idea of what they want their kitchens to be and that idea doesn't always include hardwood floor. It just depends on the person as well. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 3, 2015
voltron314 asked:
and not a bank on this planet will give me a loan. how do i find a privet linder that will give me a secured loan using my house as collateral?
st.louis missouri
1 vote 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 23, 2014
Joey Difranco answered:
To count as a bedroom, the ceiling height must be atleast 7 feet, the room must be 70 sq ft and be no less than 7 feet in one direction. There also has to be an egress window that has 5.7 sq ft or larger of openable area. That window can't be any higher than 44" off the finished floor to sill height. There also must be 36" of area outside the window and if the window well is more than 44" tall, there must be a permanent ladder installed. The 5.7 sq ft opening is based off of a firefighter being about to climb in with all of their gear on. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2014
Jean-Leon Magnotto answered:
I would check with the local building department, most cities have "setback" codes that require constructions to be set back from lot lines X amount. Good luck !
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 17, 2014
Terry McCarley answered:
Thu Nov 14, 2013
Karen Josef answered:
I am also an active state certified real estate appraiser so I feel comfortable advising you to check the price for a rough in at a local new construction development & see what they charge. That is usually the figure we would utilize for allocating value in an appraisal. Typically $3000 to 7000 in metro area for a rough in to be turned into a full bath at a later date.

If you want to know the cost to 'install' a rough-in into your basement that does not have one...I'd contact a licensed plumber to see what they advise. That's a whole different question.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 16, 2013
Merry Pope answered:
5325 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr. Saint Louis, MO does not come up on the tax records. Please check the street number. I would be glad to look it up for you.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Sep 20, 2013
sharronbur asked:
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Rehab Guru answered:
Look at a Refi and Renovate loan....there are several programs out there from the FHA 203k to the Fannie Mae HomeStyle......all allow to to refi your home based off it's "after-improved" value....will finance as little as carpet and paint all the way to large room additions or even adding a second story.

Call us @ 314-288-2462 or check us out at
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Rehab Guru answered:
Yes you can....there are several web sites that have great info....try the Saint Louis Rehabbers club.....and for financing check out or call me @ 314-288-2462
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Rehab Guru answered:
You can refi the home using the FHA have high enough scores and enough time since the BK that approving should not be too much of a me @ 314-210-5107 or visit my sight @ team is 100% dedicated to all loans renovation!! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Ray LaRue answered:
I think that Dale's response is accurate. There are so many things to consider when calculating the cost of building a new home. I have owned a construction supply company for quite some time. I have seen homes built from $70 per sqaure foot up to $200 per square foot and beyond.

I would say an average stick framed home built to normal standards can be estimated at around $100 per square foot. If you start adding expensive finishes, this cost will do nothing but rise but this is a good starting point.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Laquisha Cain answered:
Mon Sep 24, 2012
annahasker answered:
I realize this answer may be a bit late in coming but I kind of just found my way here today so hopefully what I have to share will help someone. the USDA has a grant program available to low income person over the age of 62 that can assist in helping to fund a home.
Contact them at:

The fastest way to recieve a response though is to go through your local MOCA office.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Mar 2, 2011
Lisa McKnight answered:
If you are rehabbing to sell, St. Louis City has block grants. Which are 33% forgivable if you sell to low to median income homeowners. Go on HUD website and find the mortgage companies that work with HUD on these grants. They can tell you if funds are available. ... more
1 vote 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 2, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
See links, they may be of assistance...
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice