Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Milwaukie : Real Estate Advice

  • All30
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 30
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Sandra Tomeoni answered:
My husband and I are downsizing an older custom home on the Wilamette River near Portland, Oregon. There aren't many comps, but how do we know we have landed on the right price since the people in the market we are selling are much fewer? We met with several realtors and their suggestions ranged almost !00,000. We had a pre-appraisal done and are fixing the little things which amount to about $2,000; the deck looks great but should be replaced according to appraiser, so we plan on giving credit since we are not sure they will follow the configuration of present deck. There is one window that should be replaced so we are doing this.
There are bathrooms which are clean and look ok, but need new countertops and sinks and tub hardware and flooring update. Since this job is about $7-8,000, we were advised to hold off. Do you think this is a mistake in the upper price range?
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Craig Loughridge answered:
HOAs have a number of options to recover past due HOA fees, though it may be hard for them to recover the fees from an absentee owner. Eventually, if not paid, the HOA could place a lien on the property, which can cloud the title, and make transferring the property difficult.

It occasionally happens that an owner doesn't pay HOA fees when they get into financial trouble, and when a lender takes back the property through foreclosure, that lender is usually on the hook to pay the fees in order to make it possible to re-sell the property. Whether that lender has any legal right to later go after you, the prior owner, for the unpaid fees, I am not sure. I, too, would recommend that you talk to a lawyer.

Some lawyers will answer general questions like yours over the phone at no charge. If you aren't able to get your questions answered free, the Oregon State Bar offers a great service where they will connect you with a real estate lawyer for a half-hour consultation for $35. You can contact the bar association's Lawyer Referral Service toll free at 1-800-452-7636, or submit a request for an LRS referral online at:

Best of Luck!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Patty Rystadt answered:
I would be happy to contact the Seller, if you'd like! Patty 971-270-8281
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 4, 2011
Ruth Howard answered:
Hi Marilyn-
I too live in your area and I just noticed your question. You may have already found your solution but I wonder if you have considered having your home professionally staged. Staging is a powerful marketing tool and your home is your most valuable marketing commodity. I noticed the National Association of Realtors has been referenced once already but I would also add that according to the NAR a staging investment of 1-3% of your asking price can generate return of 8-10%. Most prospective buyers (9 out of 10) look at homes on the internet first. It is so important that your photos make an impression. If you can get them to your door then you have a chance. Staging goes beyond decluttering and cleaning. Staging creates a space that buyers will desire. Professional stagers are trained to do this well. Many people are in your position and need to sell their homes, that is why I became a professional stager. I believe it can change things. It cost less than you think, and a good stager will work with you so that it's affordable. I hope this gives you some food for thought.
Good luck!
Ruth Howard
HSR Certified Professional Home Stager and Redesigner
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 10, 2011
Lana Lavenbarg answered:
It will depend on your credit rating, how many homes you own and have loans on and that type of thing. I think you would do best to find out what your actual rate will be with your lender. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon May 9, 2011
Gina Masters answered:
Realtor commissions are negotiable. You could call a title company & ask for a Sellers Net Settlement Statement, you will need to provide a purchase price for them to use in the calculator. It's going to be an "estimate" , but gives you an idea of what to plan for. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 19, 2010
Kevin Olson, Jessica Laude answered:
Contact the listing agent to make them aware, and they in turn should contact the bank. This type of thing happens, and the bank needs to be aware. If the home has no signs of break-ins, and things are consistently going missing they need to look into it.

From this point on I would photograph everything in the home as a form of accounting to keep track until the property closes. If there was damage caused breaking into the home and/or things listed in the contract you might have to seek credit or concession from the bank.
... more
1 vote 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 11, 2008
Alexis Halmy answered:
Hi speaking with the listing agent, they advise that they only give out the HOA info in their packet which goes to buyers upon making an offer. They HOA fee of $280 a year probably doesn't cover aextensive common areas, however when writing an offer be sure your agent places a contigency on your ability to review these documents and pull out of the deal if there is anything there that doesn't meet with your approval. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Alexis 503 819-3439 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Voices Member answered:
Maybe this will help...
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri May 16, 2008
Debt Free Dave answered:
1 2
Search Advice
Popular Milwaukie Neighborhoods