Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Midtown Center : Real Estate Advice

  • All25
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying5
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 17
Mon Jun 26, 2017
Rebak225 answered:
The objective to staging is to make it easy for someone to see themselves living in that home. Plus, it needs to look like there is plenty of storage and that it never gets dirty. So, with those guidelines in mind:
Remove knick knacks and any family pictures.
Remove any unneeded furniture.
Make sure the place is clean and organized, including all closets.
Use neutral paint colors (not bright white).
Weed your garden.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 26, 2017
Solomonjohnson911 answered:
Depends on the property type, size, location and much much more. Try to rent with lease agreement. It will be easier for you and guarantee your rights.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 26, 2015
Steve Riddle answered:
The Baccarat building is a Marvelous building! Marvelous for some, Ok for others.
It really depends on how you wish to utilize the Hotel Owner model.
Situated opposite the Museum of Modern Art, at 5th Avenue and 53rd Street, Baccarat Hotel & Residences New York is the newest masterwork by renowned architects Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill. This instant icon houses 61 condominiums, inspired by Baccarat’s remarkable crystal and heritage, and brought to life by award-winning interior designer Tony Ingrao. Baccarat Residences is a private enclave in the heart of the city, dedicated to an unrivaled level of service and luxury. Residents have complete access to the amenities of the Baccarat Hotel, including a five-star restaurant, bars, spa, fitness and aqua centers, and a 24-hour concierge to anticipate residents’ needs down to the last detail.Baccarat Residences has an energy of its own, the rarefied air of brilliant living.
There are Several Buildings of this very same Model. Click on my picture t contact me directly.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 27, 2014
Christine Gordon answered:

How are you? I hope you're doing well.

As suggested below, is a great choice for short term stays at reasonable prices but also you can try the Upper West Side YMCA located at 5 W 63rd St off of Central Park West. Here's their link

All the best to you in your travels :-)

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Gorick Realty, Inc.
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
View listings at
"Home is where the heart is."
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 23, 2014
Christopher Pagli answered:
Sun Mar 9, 2014
Michelle Weissman answered:
This apartment is listed with my company. It is definitely on the 3rd floor. It is in contract - so it is no longer available. Feel free to contact me directly to assist you in your NYC condo search.
Best regards,
Michelle Weissman
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Member of the Real Estate Board of New York
The Corcoran Group
d: 212.360.2462
f: 212.415.6369
m: 917.293.3427
1226 Madison Avenue, New York NY, 10128
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Joseph Runfola answered:
A 421-a exemption is available for new housing developments with three or more units, located on sites that were vacant, underutilized, or had a “nonconforming” zoning use. Under the program, owners are exempt from paying the increase in property taxes that results from the new construction. For example, if the vacant land was valued at $1 million and the new property is worth $10 million after construction, the property owner will not be taxed for the $9 million increase in value for the exemption period. The program is available for condos, coops, or rentals. For condos and coops, there are no restrictions on sales price. For rental properties, the units must be registered under the rent-stabilization system. However, initial rents are set at market-value for the area. NYC's 421a tax exemption program, which encouraged development of underused or unused land by drastically reducing property taxes for a set amount of time. Buyers got what seemed to be an unbelievable deal on taxes, but it was only temporary and upon expiration their rates will rise to what everyone else is paying.For more information check this link: ... more
1 vote 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 9, 2013
Jennifer Chiongbian- 917-250-2284 answered:

Make sure to take copious notes on date, time and what happened. I also suggest bringing a tape recorder every time you have a conversation with the abuser through your phone or a small recording device you can carry in your purse.

Then when you have proof, contact an attorney. The more proof you have, the better your case.

Try not to speak to them and email all correspondences and keep diligent records.

I was subject to harassment as a single female in my building as well, and I know what you are going through.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 14, 2013
Corazon Tan answered:
fractional ownership fixed?or non fixed week ?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Joseph Hastings answered:
Hi Edith. It's tough to get a month to month in Manhattan. That might be more easily achieved if you need a short term furnished rental rather that an up front option. What you ask depends on your situation and that of the landlord or management company. You don't mention your current living situation so, anything I say here may mean nothing.

If you are currently in a yearly lease situation, you might have options. If it's a small building, it might be owned by a smaller company or a private person. If you've been good on rent payments you could always just ask for what you want. Be up front and prepared to say why you want the month to month option. You never know.

If you rent in a large, managed building you might have no options. Management companies are generally completely removed from the personal aspects and have the primary need to rent and maintain.

Lastly, if you live at home, stay there for as long as you can and save your money so you can buy an apartment. Good luck.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 17, 2013
John Jourden answered:
Hello Edith

In short...a licensed Real Estate Agent is by far the best resource available to owners looking sublet.

It's NO cost to you as the tenant pays the Broker fee. No hassle to the owner. No sitting by the phone answering countless inquiries, or responding to endless emails. No coordinating and updating advertisements across multiple websites. No dealing with Craigslist scams.

We screen, qualify and vet all tenants and provide the owner with an easy to read financial, employment and credit package of the prospective tenant for your review.

You then have the final seal of approval.

If you are looking for a sublet, then is a solid resource for you to use.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further. Either way, I hope this helps and wish you the best.

John Jourden
The Spire Group
Licensed RE Salesperson
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jan 27, 2013
Will Gulino answered:
Hi Rodrigo, I specialize in finding great places for students. Please feel free to contact me at anytime. I have great apartments for rent all over Manhattan.

Hope to hear from you, William

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 22, 2012
Christopher Pagli answered:
Sat Dec 22, 2012
Christopher Pagli answered:
Legislation is being worked on to standardize the coop process in Manhattan at the moment. They are all run differently and yes the application process is par for the course. Unfortunately the boards can deny you for any reason and not have to disclose why either, legislation has been in the works to change this for a very long time.

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 22, 2012
Fern Hamberger answered:
Happy Holidays Tom,
Whatever you purchase will depend highly on your requirements your budget and your financials.
There are a lot of available apartments in various buildings in NYC and they are all different.
Just as somone will try to find out how much you are qualified, pre-approved for?
YOu would also want to know if the building is financially sound.
So bottom line, interview a few brokers and hire one. She will show you the process and at the same time pre-qualify you on which building you maybe able to purchase apartments in.
Good Luck!
Fern Hamberger
Vice President Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 17, 2012
Kris Mars answered:
I have a bunch of short-term and long-term apartments all over the city. I'll find something for you. Furnished, unfurnished, plenty options, with a simple process. Give me a call at 347 921-3707. My name is Chris. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 19, 2008
Jesse C. Turnquist answered:
You will probably have to pay your broker the difference in lock period...typically .125% of the loan amount but can vary depending on the investor where they sent the loan. You should talk to them about your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you are having difficulty communicating clearly with your broker. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice