Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

How To... in Middlesex County : Real Estate Advice

  • All17
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying9
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 13
Thu Jun 2, 2016
Stephanie Krein asked:
Mon Mar 7, 2016
Mgrieb01 asked:
I know I can not "update" the picture of my house, but the one that is posted for my house is not correct and want it taken down please. I am the owner - I would prefer no picture…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 26, 2016
Legra001 answered:
My father owned four duplexes on a street here in San Diego that was built as a street full of duplexes next to a neighborhood of houses. Over the past 50 years I have seen numerous conversions. They all started out as 2 bedroom 1 bath units approximately 806 sq. ft. each side with one water meter, two gas and two electric meters.
I have seen three bedroom, one bath and one bedroom one bath. Single mom with three kids split her duplex and rented out the single side to a single male. Several 1600 sq.ft. 4 bedroom 2 kitchens, two baths where all they did was cut the wall connecting the joint units, this one my father bought and just put up new dry wall, taped and painted separated them back into two units. and another duplex where the person tor down the center divide wall and put a huge fireplace in the middle between the two units, too much work. So my suggestion is to make sure it will be a simple conversion, single wall, have a carpenter throw up the two x 4's drywall it and paint it. But if there was massive changes to support walls, it might turn into an expensive project that justify the outcome.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 5, 2015
Javier Montiel - Top Local answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Aug 10, 2012
MaryAnn Riel answered:
Check with the assessors office in your town and see if tax savings are likely if the conversion were completed. Two condos are usually more valuable than a two family and if you ever need to sell a unit down the road (retirement) then what ......also call your attorney. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 22, 2012 answered:
Depends on what you are building. Just ask your contractor / builder. The septic will need to be approved by the towns building department.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 21, 2011
Tom and Joanne Team answered:

That totally depends and is a great question for the building inspector in your town. Best
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu May 6, 2010
William Patterson answered:
Hi DK,
First, speak with an attorney. You will need to go through a few legal steps before doing anything.

Next, bring some agents in to look at both units so you can get prices.

Pretty easy stuff here. Good luck!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 14, 2010
Tom and Joanne Team answered:

If your not going to do the project yourself you might be best to sell the property as is and keep it a two family. There is such tight financing in today's market that you might find it very difficult to sell the condos in this market. If I were in your shoes and the property had a low mortgage I would keep it and continue to rent the home. It would become an income stream and when the market recovers then convert to condos. Best. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 23, 2009
Lisa Coates answered:
Dear Home Buyer,

I would like to personally and professionally endorse Think Preservation Properties, they have a proven track record for property management in the Newton area. Think Preservation Properties and Ed Lyons team of experienced real estate professionals has been servicing Newton and Surrounding town investment property owners for over 20 years. He has two offices in Newton and to my knowledge the largest market share in the rental segment of real estate. When people are in need of a reputable real estate company to hire when seeking rental properties Think Preservation Properties is the one more people choose and more Property owners hire. Just my 2 cents! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 3, 2009
Christopher Lawton answered:
One question! Why? Remember a realtor is NOT paid by you AT ALL but is paid by the sellers realtor out of the commision they are charging the seller........ Make sure someone is looking out for your best interest! ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 24, 2008
DebOnTheWeb answered:
Hi Pam,

Congratulations on asking a question that I haven't heard in my 17 years of selling real estate around Somerville! Yes, you're right that a new deed would need to be drawn up for the house as a 2 family instead of as 2 condo units. There is also normally a Declaration of Trust recorded at the Registry of Deeds in Cambridge which sets up the condo association as a legal entity. This was done when the 2 family was originally converted into condos and this would need to be dissolved.

You'll also need to inform the Assessor's office of the change. (Taxes as a 2 family are normally less expensive than the taxes for two individual condo units.)

I'd say the best place to start is the Somerville Condo Review Board Somerville has many regulations to turn a 2 family house into condos and they might have some regulations on converting the condos back to a 2 family.

What it boils down to is you'll need an attorney to dissolve the condo association and draw up the new deed, but it should be much less expensive to convert back to a 2 family than it was to turn the house into condos.

It's nice to hear that you're so happy with where you are that you want to stay long term.
... more
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 19, 2008
Bill Anderson answered:
You should ask Tammy Hornung. I am sure she can recommend one.
Good luck
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice