Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Mecklenburg County : Real Estate Advice

  • All12
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 11
Tue Oct 25, 2016
Virginia Scanlan answered:
We have lived in a Sto stucco house for 30 years, had it inspected four times, and have never had any water problems. The problem with Sto stucco was in its application by builders who did not know what they were doing. Ours did. The stucco was applied over Densglass, which is used to back brick houses. Therefore, when you press on an exterior wall, it is hard as a rock. Further, we used vinyl windows. Builders who used wooden windows, set the owners up for moisture intrusion. Furthermore, the house is perfectly sealed and the flashing is well done. The bottom of the house was "cut out" and Flexl installed, so that you can easily see any termite tracks. Since we have regular termite inspections, we have never had a termite problem. The overhang of the roof is substantial which keeps moisture off the surface. So we have never had any problems.

Regardless, we cannot sell the house now that we are empty nesters. In the marketing brochure prepared by our most recent realtor, she inserted a sheet detailing all of the problems with Sto stucco directly in front of the most recent inspection report, just four months old, that listed every problem with Sto stucco. After consulting with an attorney, we tore the page out. She was in breach of contract. Her job is to sell the house. Our job was to present an inspection done by a certified inspector with 30 years of experience.

So I would advise you to re-clad the house, regardless of the cost. Selling a house is a lot of work, under the best of circumstances. When you have an entire industry lined up against you to protect their hides, you are behind the eight ball regardless of the quality or condition of the home.
... more
1 vote 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 29, 2016
Mgestatesinc asked:
I have a home free and clear (no money owed). The current tax value of home is $300K. The value after renovations will be $600K. I am looking for a hard money loan for $200K for no less…
1 vote 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 15, 2016
Ellievdavis55 answered:
I think that it's very important to make sure that you look into multiple companies. Once you have your options, you should consider meeting them, but at the very least get quotes from them. That way you can make an educated decision about who to hire.
... more
1 vote 16 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 25, 2015
Victory Property Management answered:
Much depends on the type of homes that are in your price category. Having pet friendly upscale floor coverings could be a selling point. The look of hardwood without the maintenance. It is a viable option. Another option is to invest in hardwood flooring with a top coat that is durable enough to withstand your dog's nails. Since many property owners have hardwood floors and dogs, there must be a product out there that can protect your floors. ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Feb 19, 2015
Ron Krauch answered:
Hi Deborah!

That's a wide open question!

In addition to my real estate company, I am partner in a general contracting firm in the Chicago suburbs.

There are so many variables involved in your question that it's impossible to answer to any degree of accuracy, even if you said the house was just down the block from mine (or any other reputable contractor.)

So here are just some of the considerations:

1. Was any past work done without permits? If so, will this work have to be redone to the inspector's satisfaction?

2. You say it has good bones... even so, are you sure there is no hidden damage from a roof leak in the attic? Are there termites or other wood-destroying insects lurking around? In other words, have inspections been performed to ensure there are no latent defects that will need to be corrected?

3. Are you going to do any of the work yourself or will this work be performed by a licensed contractor?

4. Are you going to use high quality materials or builder grade?

5. Does the 1970's electrical system need to be upgraded? Is it copper or aluminum wire? Is the main panel good or is it a fire waiting to happen?

I'm sure you get the idea... A project like this needs thorough investigation.

Even after over 35 years of remodeling homes and learning a few expensive lessons along the way, I still employ inspectors, architects and interior decorators to make sure the project is a sensible one for the neighborhood.

I wish you luck, if you'd like to talk, contact me at the address below.


Ron Krauch
Emerald Estates Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 21, 2014
Eugene Dean answered:
You really should get several quotes before hiring anyone. Every contractor is going to recommend themselves. You might want to ask your neighbors for a recommendation. Price is not the only factor to consider.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 17, 2014
hrrtprince asked:
I already have a ramp for my walker, but need to know if it is right slope and width for wheelchair.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 24, 2014
Wes Woodin answered:
My name is Wes Woodin and I used to flip houses. I have a contact for whatever you need. I also have grade A contractors and builder grade contractors.It really depends on your budget. I have attached my linked in profile that has a few of the home flips to shoe you what my contractors a capable of.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 6, 2014
Terraceunderwood answered:
Thu Aug 19, 2010
Robin Faison answered:
You have the cost of demolition as well as the build. You can call Kola Construction- google it. Or call Centaur Construction at 704-622-2126. Or call Jim Potter at 704-455-6572. Tell them that Robin Faison recommended their services. Your cost is dependent on building materials used, foundation of the house, labor charge, etc. Would guess at least $80sq/ft- but after 3 quotes, you should have a general idea. Allison Pell is a good architect if you need one, 704-607-0454.

Robin Faison, Broker
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Remodel & Renovate in Popular Cities in Mecklenburg County