Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Marshfield : Real Estate Advice

  • All58
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying9
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 17
Tue Sep 26, 2017
Katherine answered:
Hi Cindy, One of the small windows has to be full size for it qualify as a room with a window. I am not sure if the bunkdoor exit qualifies as an egress. I have the exactly same situation. If you have received more information, please share. Thanks! ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 24, 2015
David Charette asked:
looking for a lead cert. home inspector in Marshfield area please...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 9, 2015
MaryBeth Mills Muldowney answered:
Depending upon the complex the issue could be financing the condo. Lenders are very specific and the lender will have a condo questionnaire to be completed in order to determine whether they will fund the loan on the condo. What we have run into lately is that the FHA has made certain requirements of the condo association to collect a certain percentage of their condo fees to be held in "reserves" so although they condo complex may be solvent the % of budget collected for reserves may not be sufficient to meet their standards, if any are in a pre-foreclosure or sometimes "short sale" situation then the condo monthly fees may also be in arrears and that is something that the lender will see as a negative as they ask if any condos are in arrears. Another big item for lenders is whether the condo complex has more owner occupants than investors or non owner occupants - another double edged sword - as the prices dropped and the lack of the lenders willing to lend in some condo complexes - investors purchased with cash and thus the ratios on owner occupancy were not meeting the criteria. Condo financing has been a big issue but we are seeing a good improvement in lenders agreeing to finance, some local banks who control their own funds are more inclined to make the funds available in the past. Most importantly in the larger complexes is the agreement of the condo association and property management company to provide the necessary paperwork whether the documentation needed to be FHA approved or completion of the condo questionnaires - If I may be of future assistance in discussion of condo purchasing or if you need a good lender I could recommend for the condo purchase in the area please give me a call 781-826-9300 or my email is . Wishing you well in your new home! ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 9, 2015
MaryBeth Mills Muldowney answered:
Hi The new Marshfield High School is up and running and is so state of the arts! You can learn more about the High School here and if you would like to learn more about Marshfield and Duxbury real estate I would be most happy to assist you.
My office is 781-826-9300 and our website is, please reach out with any questions or concerns, I am here to help. MaryBeth
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 9, 2015
MaryBeth Mills Muldowney answered:
Good evening I see you had been interested in land in Marshfield - highlighting the Macker Terrace land offering in Marshfield. I did not see any new tax records since April of 2014 and the original listing is no longer an active listing in the area. If you are interested in purchasing land in the area, please give me a call and I would be happy to take you through the process. Land prices are increasing - if you are seriously considering doing a build now is the time to investigate your options as inventory is extremely limited but financing is loosening up for new construction. My office is 781-826-9300 and website in honor of our New England Patriots Look forward to hearing from you. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 23, 2013
Heath Coker answered:
If you have a Roth, you probably have a planner or accountant that can more personally and professionally answer according to the details of your personal financial situation - one that you can rely on.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 17, 2013
Sandra Mostyn answered:
Just tell the agent what is wrong and require her to fix it. She is representing you. Maybe she is not aware she has something in the listing incorrect. I'm sure she will be glad to change things. As agents we really do work hard to get things right but we are not without our flaws. I'm sure she will correct your problem. I wish you the best. Sandee ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 10, 2012
David Seymour answered:
The cost of a private on site sewerage system is dependent on many variables. The repsonses are spot on, but keep in mind, that the negotiations all hinge upon the buyer's willingness to assume the risk and the seller's calculation of value. There is a good potential to get a better price on the property as many buyers will not consider purchase with Title V issues and the potential for construction.

My advice - gain advantage through education and flexibility. I visit each town's Department of Health to gain knowledge of the code requirements. Many towns have a list of sewerage system engineers and installers (engineers and installers must be separate). The thought is that these professionals know their business and many are willing to share some ideas about the particular neighborhoods and comments on percolation tests in the past and soil composition (ledge, gravel, clay, water table etc) give a rough idea. Also keep in mind that the number of bedrooms dictate the size of the system - it may be worth while to install a four bedroom system, even if the property has three in the event of future expansion.

Other considerations - a mortgage lender that spells out the criteria tailored to your financial profile. 203K loans, rehab, may be available and considered. This essentially builds the repair or replacement costs into your loan. A real estate attorney, from my vanatage point, is needed before an offer is made to spell out the potential liability issues for you as the buyer and also the seller.

A bit of work, hence a Title V issue detracs many buyers giving you potential for better financial negotiations. Fully understanding the technical side is very important and with the right homework and advice from professionals will provide you with the risks associated with a major decision!

Final point, an agent willing to spend the time to help you map out a plan as a culmination of your research will help your negotiations - A well informed consumer with knowledge of the Title V requirements should make it more likely to introduce your offer in the best light possible.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 25, 2011
Raymond Garcia answered:
Building codes require 2 (two) forms of egress.

If you have a very old house and are planning some kind of renovation, you may be required to provide an additional means of egress to comply with the new code. It' may be impossible due to the original design of the building, in which case you may have to seek a variance.

Hope this helps!

Ray Garcia
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 23, 2011
Lenny Rowe answered:
We just ran into this question on a recnet sale of a townhome in Pembroke, MA. We scoured many websites and other sources. We also spoke directly to a licensed appraiser in MA. All the answers pointed us to the following; In Massachusetts a bedroom must be a minimum of 70 square feet and no closet is required. Although Newburyport may have different regulations, or its' own interpretations of the code.
Good Luck! Cheers! Lenny Rowe, Realtor
Boston Connect Real Estate Services
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Christopher Pagli answered:
Hi, A short sale takes place when the homeowner owes the bank more then the home is worth or going to sell for. This process is subject to bank approval and can be a very lengthy process. Most of the work is on the sellers side, they need to first prove a hardship to the bank. The banks are specific about what a hardship can and cannot be. Once that is done the bank will review all of their finances, etc and determine if it will be easier to short sale rather then eventually foreclose. Keep in mind a short sale is typically a pre-foreclosure measure.

As a buyer, you don't normally know if the bank has accepted the offer you made to the seller until there is a fully executed contract and full workout package submitted. if you proceed with a short sale doe yourself a favor and continue looking at homes and also have low expectations.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Joann Christmann answered:

As previously stated it is no longer available. Invest in your home. Be sure you have a vested interest in your home. I suggest you save as much cash as you can. Keep your credit squeeky clean. If you are lucky enough to have family that can help with the down take the gift and a gift letter from them. This is a great buyers market. Many sellers are willing to help with closing costs. Prices are low as are interest rates. If you are one of the lucky people that can buy now do it.

Best wishes
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 19, 2010
Kate Hannon answered:
You should check with the building department to make sure there haven't been changes, but I believe this is fairly current.

An emergency egress window is required when the basement is going to be used for liveable space. No bedrooms shall be built in basements without emergency egress and sufficient light and ventilation. Sill height of window above floor: Not to exceed 44". Minimum opening area: = 5.7 sq. ft. Minimum opening height = 24" . Minimum opening width: = 24". Double hung windows used for emergency escape shall be permitted to have a net clear opening of 3.3 square ft ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 29, 2010
Kate Hannon answered:
Wed May 12, 2010
Richard Power answered:
It may be impossible to give you an accurate answer without more information. Marshfield zoning requirements, as they relate to frontage and lot size, vary depending on which part of town you are located. An R-1 zone requires 125' of frontage along with specific side and rear yard setbacks. I have 11 years of Zoning experience in Marshfield as a member of the Zoning Board of Appeals and I'd welcome the opportunity to review your information and provide some guidance.


Dick Power
J. O'Gara Realty
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 2, 2009
Susan Costa answered:
Yes, for a room to be considered a bedroom, it must contain a built in closet. Can be small, but need to be in the room. Thinking of listing? I would be glad to assist.

Give me a call.

774-264-9117, 774-526-2457
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Buying in Marshfield Zip Codes