what square foot costs would be reasonable for expanding a bath, adding a new master closet and reworking a guest room into a master bedrooom?

Asked by stb, Santa Fe, NM Sat Jan 12, 2013

Answers

8
Spence Ralst…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Tue Apr 30, 2013
Gee ed, I spoke with 2 contractors and they agreed with everything I said. Guess you're the only one who knows what he's talking about….. "Expanding a bath…." per se does not mean replacing or adding a bathroom, with all that entails. As one other responder said, moving/putting up interior walls to expand a room, add a closet, etc. can be quite economical. That's why virtually all of us have advised the poster to call in contractors to discuss the scope of the project and get bids. I've done a ton of remodeling, and I do know what I'm talking about. Aside from your unwarranted slam, I agree with the rest of your advice.
ed_87504, , Santa Fe, NM
Tue Apr 30, 2013
If you can get Spence@greatsantafeproperties.com to do a bath remodel for $50 to $75 a square foot - DO IT!!!! Seriously, that is not a realistic price. He has no idea what he's speaking about.

A bathroom is one of the most expensive rooms in any home. Take a moment and think about it. Tile, faucets, sinks, tubs and/or showers, toilet, plumbing re-work, electrical re-work, etc. The only other room that could be more expensive per square foot is the kitchen.

Have a set of drawings OR at the very least - written specs that you can give to three builders. That way you have everyone bidding on the same thing and no one can say "I didn't include that in my bid".

I wish you well and good luck.
Nancy Lewis, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Fri Feb 22, 2013
I have done many bathroom remodels and I do not believe that a square foot cost applies. Your basic costs are going to include fixtures and a tile tub surround. Costs that are not affected by the size of your bathroom. My remodels have cost as little as $2,000 for a new vanity, sink and spigot, and new ceramic tile in the tub surround. That also included a new toilet. I did the demo myself but I did use a licensed contractor for the install and the tile.
Anthony Atw…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Sun Jan 13, 2013
I would obtain 3 bids from licensed, bonded contractors.
Tom Fitzgera…, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Costs are often determined by the previous work done that needs to be tied into or changed. It sounds as if you want to create a master suite. You would first need to decide what needs to be torn down and what needs to be added, materials needs and finish level required along with fixture package. Until you know the details it hard to venture a guess but the more detailed your plans are to start the more control you can have of your budget, Get a set bid from a contractor based on complete plans with payment based on completion of different stages. If you get a bank loan for the construction, they will send an inspector to check on progress before releasing additional funds. Get more than one bid and don't get involved in a cost plus contract.
Greatsantafe, , Santa Fe County, NM
Sat Jan 12, 2013
This is a question best answered by a contractor after you've discussed the scope of the project with her/ him. If you need the names of some, write me privately and I'll send you contact info.
If you twisted my arm for a ballpark figure, I'd say $50-75/SF, but there are so many variables....
Spence@greatsantafeproperties.com.
Linda Gammon, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Dear STB:
This is a tough one to answer without knowing about the existing property. As you may know, bathrooms are concentrated expense areas in the home, but moving walls and enlarging living/sleeping spaces can be some of the most economical areas to renovate. Your best option is to get a licensed contractor out for an estimate. Most contractors will give you an estimate at no charge, or if they do charge, it can be applied towards the job when you go forward. As well as being a Realtor, I am also a builder/remodeler with my husband. Would be happy to consult with you about your specific situation. Just give me a call, or email me --
Linda Gammon
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Realty Santa Fe
505.699.3260
LindaSantaFe@kw.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Jan 12, 2013
For an accurate picture of costs contact a few local licensed experts and ask for free estimates; too many variables for guesswork...