what do you hear about the altessa in Union City, NJ?

Asked by Dlbates21, Union City, NJ Tue Aug 25, 2009

Answers

122
Joedimare, , Union City, NJ
Thu Jun 24, 2010
I can see everyone on this board is very frustrated and rightfully so...moving into a new construction condo building is always difficult to coordinate. You have to understand that after the building is finished the state of NJ and the city of Union City have to come in and inspect the property to verify everything from the garage to the roof is up to code. There are many parties involved that must work together for the the common cause of opening the builing, including state and city inspectors, appraisers, buyers, sellers, attorney's, lenders, etc. If anyone has any questions regarding the building please feel free to contact me anytime at 201 239 0254. In regards to those closing being canceled: they are not canceled but are being rescheduled due to the fact that the 10 year home owners warranty, which is provided by the state for the protection of the buyer hasnt come in yet. We can not close without this.
Joe DiMare
jdimare@altessanj.com
201 239 0254
http://www.altessanj.com
Pepe, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun May 30, 2010
They told you "good faith"??? That is hilarious when the Max Spann rep told me that contract was signed and in her hand. A few days later when I received a copy of the contract again unsigned, supposedly because she sent it in error but again assured me it was signed. Then a few more days, even after my check has been CASHED, I get the call that the contract "will not be signed." How was it in the first place that I was told it was signed??

Remember the old rule about something being too good to be true......in this case, it was the low price being the bait that drew us in and then the old switcheroo.

Glad I'm out anyway. Too many uncertainties especially when they lie to you from the start.
Josh Bagley, Other Pro, Union City, NJ
Thu May 29, 2014
Does anyone have any more recent updates regarding this building? I am looking to rent a unit and was wondering if the conditions/management have improved at all
Looking to rent too. Any new info? Is the neighborhood safe? Is the management good, etc?
Flag Thu Dec 18, 2014
-, Renter, Union City, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2012
Just moved into this building, 4 days after my lease started due to storms and the aparment was a mess and light fixtures didn't work. The whole move in process was a disaster. Hurricane Sandy delayed the process but that wasn't a bad part. Dealing with the one person who works for the managemnet company is near impossible. She is unresponsive to emails and phone calls and does not follow through on what she says.

The staff is very very nice. The building, units, pool and gym are all nice. However, getting ANYTHING done in a timely fashion is like pulling teeth. Other residents I've spoken with in addition to building staff have all made comments that this is typical from the management "company", i.e the one person working there.

I'd caution living in this building, the management company is painfully understaffed. My realtor said this was the most painfull process she had ever seen.

Renter beware!
-, Renter, Union City, NJ
Wed Oct 24, 2012
I am in the proccess of moving into this building. It looks great, unit is beautiful. However, dealing with the mgmt company has already been a real issue. The women who works in the office, Luz, I believe has not followed through with one thing she says she'd do. I am scheduled to move in 2 weeks and haven't received ANY information on it. My realtor said that besides Luz the only other person is the actual building owner. Seems it will be difficult to get anything done if they only have a 1 person office staff.

While the building is nice, if I had known the hoops you'd have to jump through just to speak with someone I wouldn't have signed a lease here.
Cas, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Tue May 24, 2011
Hey guys I know some of you have already bought your place at Altessa. I was curious as to how much you were able to negotiate on price. I know the market has been horrible but I'm possibly putting in an offer this weekend and I need some input! Thanks so much! kazziec@aol.com
Tatiana77, Home Buyer, New York
Thu Mar 3, 2011
We are considering to buy in Altessa, UC, NJ. Our broker told us that on MLS there was one maintenance fee listed and when we got in touch with the seller, the maintenance fee was different and higher by more than $40 than the one they have on MLS for the same unit. We've been told that supposedly there was an assessment in 2010 and the maintenance was increased. Can someone who lives in the building tell us if it's true? Thank you in advance for your response.
Lesgomets, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Tue Nov 16, 2010
Jeff,

my name is mike, been in the building since august, couldn't be happier. any questions email me at mtilleli@aol.com.

dont have any regrets buying here, its everything i thought it would be, plus more
Jeff, Home Buyer, Home, KS
Thu Oct 21, 2010
Are there any more recent comments from buyers. How about from residents ...this looks like a great building that I may buy into now in october november - and would like to get more recent feedback

jeff
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Thu Sep 16, 2010
I have been "officially" in the building for a little over a week and I couldn't be happier. The shuttle to the Path in the morning is quick (15 minutes, as stated by UCResident, was right on the money). The other residents I have met so far have been really friendly. Everyday, I see somebody vacuuming, or doing some type of cleaning. The doormen are nice, though they must be extremely bored. I still have yet to really take advantage of the gym or the lounge, but I know I will soon. As far as I know, the roof is still not ready. Last I heard they were waiting for final inspections, but I'm not sure anymore.

As I've already said, I've only been here for a short amount of time, but I would recommend this place to anyone. Large grocery store a few blocks away, smaller grocery stores within 1-2 blocks, a farmer's market just opened (I have to check it out though) 2 blocks away, and for those with cars (or a short cab ride) a large shopping area is about a five minute drive away. Movie theatre, furniture stores, clothing stores, restaurants...I can't think of the name of the area (Harmon Cove or something like that). I wish the area had a better nighlife, but I guess that's what the city is for.
Hvasquez, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Congratulations, Lesgomets. I'm still waiting to close on my apartment., just waiting on the State Warranties...seems like someone forgot to apply for these...
Lesgomets, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Tue Sep 14, 2010
just moved in, couldnt be happier, roof is great, dunkin donuts a short walk away, grocery also
Hvasquez, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Thanks for the response, Ucresident. I hope the bus schedule works for my commute. Regards.
Ucresident, Both Buyer And Seller, Union City, NJ
Mon Aug 23, 2010
@ Hvasquez the shuttle has been working for 2 or 3 weeks now and the driver is very reliable and professional. I takes 15 minutes to get to/from the path station.

@ Real State Savvy the area is safe - I go in and out pretty much at all times and I have never felt threatened. As for grocery shopping, I don't have a car either but there are many little stores around and the closest large supermarket is about 4 blocks away.
Real Estate…, Both Buyer And Seller, North Bergen, NJ
Mon Aug 23, 2010
UCResident,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm also living in an old coop right now on Blvd. East and wanted to upgrade to something new but affordable. This does seem like a good solution but I know very little about the area. How is the shopping, groceries, surrounding neighborhoods? How is the commute via ferry, bus or path? I don't own a car so safety and convenience are my top priorities.
Hvasquez, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Ucresident, I hope to close on my apartment by the end of this month, do you know what the status of the shuttle bus to the PATH is? it was not in service 3 weeks ago when I went to visit the building?

Thanks for any info.
Weichert Rea…, Agent, Watchung, NJ
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Ucresident, thanks for sharing. Regards,
Mon Aug 23, 2010
@ Real State Savvy, I moved about a month ago and I'm very happy here. The staff are all friendly, polite and helpful, the management office are on the ball on any issues that may arise and any questions that I may have. The pool is still not open but, overall, I'm very glad I moved to the Altessa, coming from one of the old coops in the area this building is such a breath of fresh air.
Sat Aug 14, 2010
I'm also interested to hear about people's experiences with this building. Has anyone moved in yet?
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Aug 1, 2010
TKS KRS71...sad to hear that you were not able to snatch a unit @post auction. they had an open house on Saturday so you might still have a chance as that indicates they might be having another auction.....good luck!
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Sun Jul 25, 2010
Congratulations UCresident. I hope to close this week. I've been dealing with an FHA as well. I want to enjoy that roof before the summer is over. I don't think they've opened the pool yet though.
Thu Jul 22, 2010
@ Lifeinmypocket: I closed on a FHA loan last week, they asked for a lot of paperwork but I finally got approved. Can't wait to move in next week!
Lifeinmypock…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Jul 22, 2010
Has anyone closed with a FHA Loan as of yet?
Krs71, Both Buyer And Seller, Parsippany, NJ
Tue Jul 20, 2010
Congratz J71, it's good to hear people are enjoying their new homes. It was a great price at the auction, wish the seller accepted my post auction price.
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Jul 18, 2010
We moved in and closed on July 1st and were able to spend July 4th on the roof top to see the spectacular fire works. Many other tenants have closed and moved in. Anyone that is interested in buying at Altessa it's all well worth it as the original price for the units were starting at 406k and most 3 to 2bed/2bath sold at the auction for around 245k to 355k!!!!!
Tue Jul 13, 2010
@Cbrown, you can see what people paid at the auction:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=27603&ipp=50

I was going to pick up a unit at post auction price which was around 40K less than what you're looking at paying so you'll have to see what is reasonable for the place.

I don't know what other people people payed pre-auction, but I think your price is less than the regular price they were selling at.

Good Luck.
Hvasquez, Home Buyer, Union City, NJ
Tue Jul 13, 2010
Has anyone moved in, yet? Just curious.
Cbrown0528, Home Buyer, Paterson, NJ
Mon Jul 12, 2010
My Fiance' and I just went to The Altessa today and we absolutely fell in Love with it. This will be our first home purchase but we are really excited. I was wondering about the pricing of the units now (2bd 2ba starting at 280k) is this reasonable in comparison to what everyone has paid??? Thanx in advance for ur responses....

Excited in NJ
Lifeinmypock…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Jul 7, 2010
@G2 you should check with your lawyer cause people have closed... My bank is retarded and is keeping me back but i should close soon
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Wed Jul 7, 2010
Anyone have any recent news?
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Fri Jul 2, 2010
Good to see some people are closing. That's encouraging. Are you allowed to move in? If so, good for you that you get to watch fireworks this weekend from the rooftop. I still have not heard anything, which sucks for me. I hope I (and others) hear something soon.
Linden Moe, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Thu Jul 1, 2010
Hey Pepe,

I can understand your frusration and it is valid.

I am in no way a fan of buyers using listing agents or sellers agents directly.

In some state dual disclosed agency is illegal (Not in NJ).

There is a good reason for that. For whatever reason lots of you chose not to use a buyers agent.

Thats cool, however I would never try to represent myslf in court, nor would I use the attorney of the person on the other side of the courtroom.

Thats like 1 coach coaching both sides in the superbowl right?

I can say with 100% certainly that Joe Dimare is one of the good agents, because I represent mostly buyers.

I do not work for Joe, heck I'm not even in the same office or city as Joe Dimare.
You deserve answers. PERIOD.

I think it was cool for Joe to come on here and give his cell number out to you guys and not hide, like most agents.

I dont see any other realtors like Maxx Spann and others on here.

And yes Joe does represent the seller but he's fair and honest. I stand by that.

I would always advise any one to get thier OWN representation.

Pepe, I wish you thebest of luck and hope to see you at the rooftop pool party.

Drinks on Joe Dimare :-)

Contact me if you want your own representation who 's only fudiciary responsibility is to the buyer and NOT the seller.

Or give Joe a call, he is a good guy. I believe he left you his cell number.

P.S you guys will all feel better when you move in your new luxury building , get greeted by the doorman and relax by the pool overlooking manhattan. SWEEEET!

Hope that helps,

Linden Moe
Citizens Premier real estate
Direct 201-839-4927
http://www.HudsonCountyRealEstateChat.com

Web Reference: http://www.HudsonCountyrealestateChat.com
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Jul 1, 2010
We are closing today in roseland NJ for our unit....good luck to you all...
Asmileisfree, Home Buyer, North Bergen, NJ
Thu Jul 1, 2010
Hi... I actually closed yesterday along with two others I saw at the sellers attorney's office. I think there were too many variables involved with this process which made it that much more difficult to get answers and there was way too much finger pointing. If we all weren't rushing against a tax credit deadline it would have made it a lot easier on us all.
Ba729, Home Buyer, Jersey City, NJ
Thu Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone closed yet? I cant find the listings online any more. Did they pull this off the market?
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Wed Jun 30, 2010
Not that anyone needs or wants to hear this, but I've been dealing with Joe for the entire time, and (IMO) he really is a good guy. That doesn't take away from the fact that I'm frustrated, but the issues are way beyond Joe's control. It's the banks and the builder that have had the most issues. Joe is a realtor, and makes his living off of selling units. I genuinely believe that he pushed as hard as he did because he thought the builder and the banks would come through for all of us...himself included (remember, the lowered prices at the auction likely reduced his commission). Like I said, it doesn't take away from how upset everyone is, and as a buyer I want answers too. But I don't think he's the one holding out. I agree with Linden Moe, if you call Joe, he'll tell you what he knows.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion about Joe, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Bottom line, buyers want answers....buyers want to move in...buyers want to get what we've been promised...buyers want to spend some time this summer on the roof having a good time.

Has anyone closed yet? Has anyone gotten new closing dates?
Pepe, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Jun 30, 2010
Linden: You specifically say that Max Spann represents the seller but doesn't Joe also represent the seller?

He was hawking the units the times that we were there. What's your point?

You say he's a "good guy" to a fellow agent like yourself, so how do you know he's a "good guy" to the buyers????

Are the sellers trying to play "good cop, bad cop" with Max Spann as "bad cop" and now Joe as "good cop"?

BOTTOM LINE----BUYERS WANT ANSWERS!!!!
Linden Moe, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Wed Jun 30, 2010
Hey Guys,

I definitely hope that everything turns out ok, and you guys can move in its an awesome building for the price.

Regarding Re agents, if you went with Maxx Spann , please remember they do not represent you the buyer.

They have a legal, obligation to the seller. Joe Dimare is a good guy and there are probably things beyond his control.

If you bought through Maxx Spann or any agent who stands to earn a commission, you deserve answers.

If you are considering buying anywhere without your own legal and buyer representation, be careful.

I am an agent and I still use agents when buying and selling investment properties.

Again, Joe Dimare is a good guy, and if you have issues with the building give him a call.

Think about how awesome it will be when you finally use that new pool.

Happy Homehunting Guys

Linden Moe
Citizens Premier Real Estate
201-839-4927
http://www.hudsoncountyrealestatechat.com
Pepe, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Jun 30, 2010
krs71: The House of Rep approved the extension but the Senate still has to vote.
Lifeinmypock…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 29, 2010
@ Sean try Bank of America
Tue Jun 29, 2010
http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/29/news/economy/homebuyer_tax_c…

Good news the rebate is extended..... cheers
Tue Jun 29, 2010
you should be able to get a new rate, if not with them go with someone else, but you'll have to go thru the whole process again
Sean, Home Buyer, 07087
Tue Jun 29, 2010
On top of all this BS I think I'm getting taken by my mortagae broker. I know i should have just gone to a bank but some idiot refered me here. Any help on the below subject would be very useful

I locked in at 5% about 45 days ago. My lock expires June 30th, since i'm obviously not closing shouln't i qualify for a better rate? My broker keep telling me its complicated...WTF does that mean i'm stupid? I have perfect credit so there should be no other issues? Any help would be appreciated.
Lifeinmypock…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 29, 2010
FINALLY!!!!! I heard the COs are in.... But not in time for the home rebate (no surprise) well hopefully i can finally close sometime this week...
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 29, 2010
Even though some closing were cancelled many others are closing as the home owners warranty are trickling in and CO is given within 24hrs of submission of the HOW, so on that note good luck to the rest of us....
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 29, 2010
We're are actually happy with our unit and the price we paid, just dissappointed that we won't be moving in to lord knows how long.
J71, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 29, 2010
They did not receive the CO as all closing were cancelled and no date give. I'm f/u with union city to investigate if they even indeed filed and application for one.
G2, Home Buyer, 07023
Mon Jun 28, 2010
@asmileisfree, I knew about the upgrades. When I originally looked at the place, they did mention that there was an upgrade for $4k. Sorry you hadn't heard about it. However, the extension seems dead. So we're all SOL when it comes to that. I think we all need to face the fact that we won't get the credit. It sucks, but now we have to hope we close soon, so we can enjoy the summer in our new place. It's frustrating as hell, and the fact that they touted the credit is shameful. If anyone can figure out legal action, I'm in. Guess we'll see what the next couple of days bring. Hopefully, they'll reimburse us, but I doubt it. Good luck to all of you.
Mon Jun 28, 2010
I went to the walk-through on Saturday as well and the building was a mess...construction was still taking place and my floors are still not completed. Was anyone aware of the apartment upgrades prior to their walk- through? This was the first I heard about having the closets customized and the installation of shower and tub doors.
The only thing we can hope for now is that the Senate will pass the extension to the tax credit, we shall see in two days!
Sean, Home Buyer, 07087
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Oh thats great news!!! I expected nothing less...The walk through was even worse, my floors where completly warped. I haven't heard anything from my attorney about not closing but i take your word. I'm def gunna look into legal action if we don't get compinsated. What a joke this whole process has been!!!
1 2 3