Question removed

Asked by Mitchell Mote, Hot Springs, AR Tue Dec 9, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

8
David Barnas, , Weymouth, MA
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Hi Mitchell

The New York Times had a great positive article a few days ago, which I heard about via one of the blogs on this site. Here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/business/yourmoney/06money…

I have since e-mailed it off to the folks in my office as well as my buyers; hope this helps!
Web Reference:  http://DavidBarnas.com
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Wed Dec 10, 2008
Dp2, thanks for the link, it was a LOL.

Mitchell, the media did not create the job losses, foreclosures, RE sales price decline or bank failures to sell newspapers. With all due respect complaining about how reporting these things makes it hard to sell RE is a little strange. People are losing their jobs and homes! They come to Trulia for advice and help.
In a number of answers I've given I have stated that there are good agents and I based that on seeing many agents here not sugar-coat things and give honest answers to questions without self-promoting or complaining. IMHO they understand that doing so will build a base of trust for Trulia and themselves. When the Market stabilizes they will be the ones who profit as those they helped return to Trulia ready to buy.
I've heard RE pros blame the uninformed buyer (then tell buyers to trust them, it's a good time to invest) blame the Goverment, blame the banks, blame the mortgage brokers (who blame the RE agents) and now the media.
It's called good PR, help those who come here with questions/problems, be honest, promote Trulia as the place to get real answers and stop adding to the already growing perception of RE pros being more interested in selling than honesty. In times like these people begin to mistrust, you must counter that with proving you can be trusted. If any pro thinks they will get by in this economy because they are so much more clever than the public then enjoy being a pro now because you will lose in the long run.
Blame whoever you want for the tough times but if you do not begin to build a reputation as the site (Trulia) that has RE pros who will bend over backwards to be helpful and honest without trying to self-promote and turn every question into a sale then Trulia will fail and so will you. Just my opinion!!!

Now I will return to answering questions about school menus and lost class rings.. Dunes
Dp2, , Virginia
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Ignorance isn't always bliss.

Most people--whether or not affiliated with the media--don't know much about the real-estate business; however, many of them presume to be real-estate experts simply because they bought a home. Similarly, most people don't know much about computers, but presume to be experts simply because they installed a program before. For the lack of a better label, I'll call this the "All you have to do is . . ." Oversimplification Theory.

I believe many of the pundits mean well, but they don't always know what they're talking about or what they're doing. How can you expect for pundits to understand what's going on in the real-estate business when several industry insiders don't know what's going on too? Pundits get paid to talk or write about various topics--whether or not they know anything beforehand about those topics. Many pundits--and others--tend to harvest what they perceive to be the low-hanging fruit on a bush--totally ignoring the other bushes and trees in the orchard.

The pundits aren't the only ones at fault here. For better or worse, there are some real-estate industry experts that keep feeding some of the pundits that bad information. Although other real-estate insiders continue to challenge/rebut that bad information using other data, most outsiders--including the pundits--get lost in the arguments and subsequent translation. All the general public wants to know is when will all of this be over, and right now nobody knows. Although "I don't know" is a perfectly valid answer, many people are to proud to admit when or that they don't know something.

Hence the dance will continue. . . .

Before slamming the media, why not take a moment to do some housework. There are still some real-estate pros out there who remain in denial (see the URL below) about the current market conditions. Most professional investors would see the content of that post for what it is: marketing copy--basically fodder. IMHO, the only thing worse than the fact that a real-estate pro wrote that piece is that he-- cowardly--opted to not open it for comments. It's posts like that one that inspire many pundits to SHINE A SPOTLIGHT on the bad stuff, so that everyone can see what's going on. I applaud them for that. I wish the media would also report on the good things going on in the real-estate market to present both sides of the issue fairly. However, I don't think that will--or should--happen before the real-estate pros in denial extract their heads out of the ground.
Susie Shatley, Agent, Southlake, TX
Tue Dec 9, 2008
How often does the media report anything good?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Dec 9, 2008
My solution......don't buy the newspaper (it's on the internet anyway) and watch less television.
The problem with the media is much greater than negativism....

My hope is that something will be to fixed this during my lifetime
Tina C. Wong, Agent, SAN BRUNO, CA
Tue Dec 9, 2008
We would be the one to take on that responsiblity for our clients with positive altitude by believing the real estate is always a good investment regardless of the market condition becuase it is a long term investment. I usually use statistics from local association to proof them wrong and ask my clients when was the last time you heard a good news from newspaper or TV.
No one could ever tell us accurately what the next year market is but one thing we know that is the interest rate is low right now. We as the professionals are able to help our clients to create wealth thru real estate.

Mr. David Barnas, thank you for sharing the good news article.
Web Reference:  http://tinacwong.com
Mike Kelly, Agent, Fayetteville, AR
Tue Dec 9, 2008
8:00....."World Ends in 1 Hour!!!" ......"Details at 10:00"
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Dec 9, 2008
Positive does not sale media, only negative reporting.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com