Question removed

Asked by Norma Williams, California Sun Oct 28, 2007

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

3
Jen, Both Buyer And Seller, USA, Mobile, AL
Sat Nov 3, 2007
Something to consider is that the price of wheat has gone up drastically in the last couple of years. The price per bushel was steady at under $2 / bushel for decades. Now it is up to about $8/bushel. Land that has been used for pasture is usually ideal for the raising of wheat. This being the case, the land value would increase as the price of wheat rises. Land in this area is commonly being purchased by hunters for a premium price, especially land with features that will attract wildlife, such as the ponds you mentioned. Additionally mineral rights are now becoming more valuable as the price of imported oil rises. You can check on websites such as United Country, Land and Farm, etc. to help you see what the approximate value is. Hiring an official appraiser is expensive but often pays for itself. I can sympathize with you, wanting to know the value of your share of the property and that you would like to get a fair price for it, should you sell to either your fellow owners or to others. Although I feel it is better to keep family farms together, this has to happen by everyone being fair. That means that the other owners will take into consideration all factors that may increase the value of the property; then offer you a fair price for it. It all too often happens that people lay the blame unfairly at the feet of the person that does not wish to retain ownership of their share of the family farm when said property ends up being divided and sold off to strangers. If they would be fair to you, of course this would be unnecessary. If is very common for buyers to feel that something is worth less than the seller does. This happens in most dealings. There can be some back and forth and usually a compromise is reached. There are many many farms that are owned under the same circumstances that you describe. Let's see the people of this country show that they are honorable and treat the fellow members of their family fairly without compromise of the dignity and trust that are so very valuable in keeping families together. In doing this, we can keep everyone happy and help in preserving the American Family Farm.
Nick, , Oklahoma
Wed Oct 31, 2007
Norma, I'm surprised to find this post, and I'm not exactly sure why you are defining this as prime property, but your share of this property is an undivided 1/3 of 160. By naming the property specifically here, I'd be concerned that you are publicly implying that you are selling the full acreage. I understand that you are looking to sell your undivided interest, but I would suggest that you take this post down immediately and end any communication that you may be having with the prospective buyers of the full acreage. Please contact us when you want to discuss the sale of your interest.

I should also make it clear to any prospective buyers that the other 2/3 "Claud B. Williams Family survivors" are not interested in selling, now or in the future.
Larry Filmore, Both Buyer And Seller, Norman, OK
Mon Oct 29, 2007
Market isn't great right now in this part of Oklahoma, it sort of depends on the property. But as a rule if there are usable horse facilities, barns, stables, or any habitable home that will help the valuation. Ponds can be a downside sometimes, it just depends. Assessed value will be 10-15% of the actual, you can get that value from the county assessor. Are you looking to sell the plot? If so, are horses part of the sale?