is mountain house a good place to buy?

Asked by Sally Duby, Bay Street Viaduct Area, Savannah, GA Wed Jul 16, 2008

With so many forclosures, is Mt. House a good place to buy a home?

Answers

13
Eric Garrison, Home Buyer, Mountain House, CA
Tue Aug 26, 2008
If you want a great place to live, then yes-it's a good place to buy. If its for an investment, it will probably not return an investment for another 10-15 years.

It's a great community that has great parks, and local events. We're getting a junior college next summer.
Guero, Home Buyer, California
Fri Aug 1, 2008
We have been looking and putting offers on houses in Mountain House for a couple of months now, and have finally found one. We are very excited and very lucky to have had a great agent who lives in town and mortgage person who will have us closed in 15 day.
Stefan Birnb…, Agent, Moraga, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2008
Brentwood is a better choice........far less risky, easier commute.
580 morning commute is sheer hell out of Central Valley
Gevon Polgar, Agent, Mountain House, CA
Mon Apr 25, 2011
Mountain House is a peaceful and beautiful place to live. I personally moved from the bay area to MH as I wanted a great community with good schools to raise my children and it doesn't hurt that the homes are newer, twice the size and for half the price! There are also a lot of activies for families. And the great thing is that all the commerce you need is only 5 miles away. I remember it would take me longer to get to all my shopping done in the bay area due to traffic, lights, etc.. Here it takes me less than 10 min. I decided to get opt out of the rat race and go straight to the finish line. I'll probably live a few years longer too. =)
Guero, Home Buyer, California
Sun Nov 16, 2008
Actually we moved in to our new home three months ago and are very happy. We got a great house, good price, fixed mortgage that we can afford and now live in our own home in nice, quiet family town.
Victoria, , Mountain House, CA
Sun Nov 16, 2008
We recently bought a house here and love the community. We got a great price since it's a buyers market. It has good schools, fabulous parks and trails, and is a tight knit community. This is a new community, so most people out here bought at the top of the bubble, and have lost equity in their home. But so what. Most are in it for the long hall, and just want a great place to raise a family. Eventually housing prices will go up again. If you are a single person, I would not recommend MH, unless you don't mind lots of kids and not many single folks/nightlife.

Victoria
Bcuthill, Home Buyer, Citrus Heights, CA
Mon Aug 25, 2008
I happen to own a Pulte home built in 06. I have a couple of issues (squeaky floors upstairs) and a little cracking on the stucco. Overall I would have to say it is well made compated to some of the other homes I have been in
Guero, Home Buyer, California
Thu Aug 21, 2008
I hope we dont run into any problems. We are closing escrow on a Pulte home in Mountain House right now. The home inspection went well, with no problems at all. We are hoping to move in soon.
Jeri, , Mountain House, CA
Thu Aug 21, 2008
I would hold off on buying in MH until you look into the builders. I urg you to go to HOBB or HADD. Go to google and type in the builder name and "defects". The results will astound you....I sure wish someone had given me this advise before I spent every penny I earn on a home that is not safe to live in.
Ciscokid, Home Buyer, Dublin, OH
Tue Aug 19, 2008
There are some nice properties in Moutain House but the problem is that the community is far away from anything in walking distance or a close drive to stores, etc. You won't have a hard time finding a home to purchase there because people stopped buying there and those that did either lost their homes or sold them so you'll have your choice. I would honestly look at Tracy instead. It's 5 minutes away and has MANY more amenities. You can also purchase larger lots and homes than most of what Mountain House has to offer. Good luck.
, , Mountain House, CA
Sat Aug 16, 2008
Mountain House is a great community, just be wary of Pulte Homes. They have had many complaints of construction defects in their new communities.
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Its a great place to buy. Home values will go up as the market bottoms out. Brentwood is a cesspool. Have fun on Vasco road in the fall and winter.
Sj209, Both Buyer And Seller, California
Thu Jul 17, 2008
Yes, it is a wonderful area but it is a new community and fairly close-knit. Not all civic services are offered locally. There is not an awful lot of public transportation in Mt. House. Personally, I prefer most of the other towns over Mt. House. I would easily pick Stockton, Lathrop, Manteca, Tracy, Brentwood, Discovery Bay, Antioch and others over Mt. House just because public transportation, civic services and shopping proximity is important to me but others would prefer Mt. House for many reasons such as peace and quiet, beautiful environment, new community, etc. Timing the market is very difficult and no one really knows the what the future may hold when it comes to pricing.