how do i find out what my home was worth in 1994?

Asked by Jean, Venice, CA Tue Jun 10, 2008

Answers

4
Endre Barath, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Tue Dec 27, 2011
Jean, the most accurate way is to pay for an "appraisor" to give you a "retrospective appraisal", the information will include all resource data, not just the Multiple Listing Service data.
Endre Barath,Jr.
Coldwell Banker Beverly Hills-South
homes@endrebarath.com
Web Reference:  http://www.endrebarath.com
Kim & Kristi…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Nov 8, 2010
Hi Jean,

That is a fascinating question. I'm preparing a 20 year history of the real estate market. Can you believe it has been over 20 years? I remember 1984; lots neon, shoulder pads and Eddie Murphy!

If you'd like a copy of this report, please email me info@kimandkristine.com so I can send it to you as soon as I'm finished.

Kim
Aaron Mirsky, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Sep 15, 2009
A retrospective appraisal is an appraisal that gives the market value at another specific time other than when the appraisal is done. The retrospective appraisal utilizes information only up to the retrospective date. A good example for the need of a retrospective appraisal is fire, or the belief that a home was over appraised at an earlier date.

You can have your agent or a title company search property records for sales in the area that occurred around the time of your father's passing using a comparative market approach. You can also hire an independent appraiser to do a retrospective appraisal. It should not be too difficult to find sales records for that time period.

In 1994 the Los Angeles real estate market was experiencing a downturn so your tax basis should be quite low.

I hope this information is helpful.

Aaron Mirsky
Coldwell Banker, Brentwood West
310.270.7548
Jodie Franci…, Agent, Studio City, CA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Hi Jean,

You can ask your realtor to have the title company pull the records, or they can see how many homes are still showing up on the mls. The Westside MLS (CLAW) does keep their records for quite some time, but I am not sure how long that policy has been in effect, so don't know if going back to 1994 is accurate. If you don't have a realtor, feel free to call me and I can get the information for you.

Jodie