do areas zoned for short term rental lower property value?

Asked by Gina, Orlando, FL Mon Jan 14, 2008

Answers

1
Dirk Knudsen…, Agent, Hillsboro, OR
Mon Jan 14, 2008
Well they could to the exent there is a lot of them and the area is noisy with lots of interim tenants. Otherwise I say no. My beach home, which I no longer have sadly, was really one of the best rentals we had. It did not always throw off quite enough cash to pay for itself but it was close.

In Oregon the beach is only a hot spot in the Summer and fall anyway. So it worked for us. Our neighbors complained a few times as we had a group or two get out of hand but we had their VISA cards and hit them for damages where we could. It was good fromt he standpoint that we used it as a vacation spot for us too.

So I say no. There is a demand for this type of property form other owners and I think in most markets the short term rental zoning or designation brings with it a slight premium investment element. Better make sure if you are zoned for this as it is often the case that there is special zoning for such things!

Great question.... good luck with that.

Dirk Knudsen
Re\max Hall of Fame
#1 Rated Team in Oregon
"The Real Estate Doctor"
Web Reference:  http://www.nwhomecenter.com