3 BR house with 2BR septic

Asked by Foleyjkc, Providence, RI Sun Dec 2, 2012

Hi, Can you sell a house as a 3 bedroom when you are installing a state approved 2 bedroom septic system?

Answers

3
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Dec 2, 2012
With a 2 bedroom septic it has to be listed and advertised as a 2 bedroom home. If you are installing a new system it would be an advantage to do it properly as a 3 bedroom if there are 3 bedrooms in the home. Having too small a system can lead to problems down the road if the system is being overused it wont work properly.
How does this effect the resale value? Is it common to see a 3 bedroom home with a 2 bedroom septic system? How hard would that be to sell? The home we are thinking about purchasing is a 2500 square foot 3 bedroom that is technically a 2 bedroom because of the 2 bedroom septic system and lot. Thanks!
Flag Wed Oct 16, 2013
Kristen Viner…, Agent, MEREDITH, NH
Sun Dec 2, 2012
When you list your home for sale, it will have to be listed as a 2 bedroom if the septic is a 2 bedroom system. It cannot be advertised as a 3 bedroom. I agree with Joe, if you are upgrading the system, it would be a good idea to bring it up to a 3 bedroom system.

We run into this quite often here in the Lakes Region, let me know if you have any further questions.

Kris
Thomas Beauc…, Agent, Bedford, NH
Sun Dec 2, 2012
You can sell a home this way as long as it's disclosed on the Property disclosure and listing information, hiding this type of information is wrong and possibly illegal, As long as the Buyer knows and is okay with it. If the person is putting in a new system, now would be the time to bring the system up to a three bedroom for minimal cost.

I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you need help finding a home or selling one as well, 603 488.6272.