Would converting a 2 family home back into a single family in Winchester make it more sale-able?

Asked by Shirley Mason, Salem, NH Thu Jan 17, 2008

Answers

6
Q’s answer
Q, , East Aberdeen, MS
Wed Mar 30, 2011
It really depends on the area. In our area it has become more difficult to have a legal two family home. Since it is more difficult, having a two family home is more valuable. I would recommend meeting with a realtor to discuss your options. Best of luck!
Danielle DeV…, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Hi Shirley,

It really depends on the area?

Give me a call and we'll talk. I have a feeling I know the house you're talking about.

Danielle DeVarne
Century 21 Commonwealth Winchester
508-769-9455
Peter, Home Buyer, Massachusetts
Tue Mar 18, 2008
Dear All,
I have better question: why New England is building out of plywood? Why not brick&mortar or at least AAC? I know - it's freedom, so if the LAW is not prohibiting buildings made out of cardbord, everyone will be offered, like it or not, cardbord houses or condos. There will be even more plywood sold for repairs every other year, plywood with time (specially on roofs) looks like wet toilet paper. What about all that ASBESTOS you offer around heating pipes? That is so precious, so we have to pay in MA hundrets of thousands for the technology abandoned 60+ years ago in country side in the 'rest of the world'. Not to mention that cities became all-brick around 17 century. Well that's way we have so many fire departments (more work places!) and pharma-comapnies with allergy medicines (hollow walls filled with dust producing fiber-insulation). It is just great. My advice: tear down your nail-glue-and-plywood building and build something more sustainable to make it more 'sale-able'. I would call it (using a 'high-tech' vocabulary) 'Intelligent Building' -> long lasting, energy saving. Of course it has to be called 'french' (have no idea why). I would call it STOP-the-DEFORESTATION in South America and in Canada too. This will of course limit the number of rodents, termites and squirells other species living in your house, but do not worry - they will not extinct, not yet.
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Sun Mar 16, 2008
It would really depend on the quality of the work done, the size and features. Also in Winchester it also depends on which part of town it is. You should consult with a local agent/broker familiar with this type of project. Also research other properties of like type in same or similar neighborhood and see the changes & work done, find out how much they spent. A conversion that isn't done right can actually drag down the value of a property. You'll also need to square it with the town as well. Best of luck, let us know how you progress.
Web Reference:  http://www.Medfordhouse.com
Sun Mar 16, 2008
No, Shirley. I think that a 2 family is Winchester is such a rarity that it would sell immediately.
Web Reference:  http://www.lauriefallon.com
Pete, Both Buyer And Seller, Aurora, IL
Thu Jan 17, 2008
Shirley, Does the City offer incentives to help you revert it back to a single family, or is it a zoning benefit to the neighborhood (which increases property values)
There are many things to consider.
Do you plan on contractors or will you do the work?
Do you have a bnuget for the conversion or an idea of what you really want to do with it when you do 'take it back' to Orignal.
I am on a city board that has a couple of people that buy these for reversal to single family, for profit.
If you need a few questions answered , let me know, I can put you in touch!

Pete