Why aren't there more foreclosures and cheap properties in Fairfax--the so called "laid back hippy?

Asked by Summer, Sausalito, CA Sat Aug 15, 2009

town"? I don't mean to be evil--but I really want to buy a house in Fairfax, or even a tiny condo, and I can'tafford it on my salary, and was thinking prices might drop more aggressively in Fairfax during this downturn. I'm surprised that they've barely dropped at all. I thought Fairfax was a hippy town--at least it was when I was growing up in Marin. It was the CHEAP place to live. What's happened?

Answers

4
Nancy’s answer
Nancy, , 34949
Sun Nov 14, 2010
Sorry, but the days of Dead Head groupies hanging around in painted "peace vans" are lonnnnnnnnnnnng gone. Only well-heeled, successful hippies-turned-capitalistic-pigs can afford to live here now.

Fairfax is more of an attitude than a destination.... moving here is a lifestyle choice. I've lived in diverse places... from Manhattan to St. Bart's, and can say with conviction that Fairfax is the ONLY place I want to be.
Kelley Eling, Agent, San Anselmo, CA
Tue Jun 22, 2010
Summer, if you are still looking for a home in Fairfax, I have a great listing at 35 Ridge Road and I'll be open this Sunday, June 27, 2010 from 1-4pm.
Tristan Cela…, , Marin County, CA
Mon Aug 17, 2009
Even though there has been and continues to be a drop in prices as the housing market crumbles "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". So, even though prices are lower than in years their still higher than before, in the good old days. Prices will get lower but the rate of decrease is decreasing before the turn. So finding a best deal is the best deal one can hope for.

I hope the attached link helps. RSVP if I can help. Keep you eye on the MLS, align your financial ducks, be ready to act when your opportunity arises.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sat Aug 15, 2009
Sorry, Summer. Fairfax housing price went up like the rest of Marin, hippie town or not.

The majority of the short sales and foreclosures we have seen so far are in the least expensive parts of Marin county, such as Novato and certain parts of San Rafael. We are seeing some of the short sales and foreclosures start to occur in Southern Marin but they are still far and few in between. If there is any good properties with lower prices, they are pretty much 'googled up' quickly - with multiple offers also.

The other thing that's in play is the stimulus plan where first time homeowners can get up to $8,000 tax credit if they purchase by 11/30/09, the interest rate is low, the government is really encouraging the lenders to work with homeowners on loan modifications and delaying foreclosures. Those initiatives are having an effect on the market and we are seeing a shortage of short sales and foreclosures during the past few months. Two of my clients just successfully modified their loans, which means their houses will not be one of the distressed properties on the market. These are all parts of the equations.

You really need a good Realtor who knows how to advise you on purchasing short sale and bank owned properties to keep an eye out for you, advice you and guide you through the process when a good property comes on the market. I have been very successful in chaniing my focus and helped my client sell / acquire those properties.

I like to tell my clients that if they try it, they will at least have a chance of getting a house and if they don't even try it, they will never get it. Staying on the sideline will just be that.

I will be happy to get you started. just email me or give me a call.

Sylvia Barry
Frank Howard Allen Realtors