Blank, Other/Just Looking in Blanket, TX

Which is a better source for income, Rentals or Homes?

Asked by Blank, Blanket, TX Sat Feb 2, 2013

I have heard that the market in the Northern New Jersey area isn't very good for home sales but is doing very well in the rental market, but I am unsure if this is true. I am considering a career in real estate and want to know whether I should pursue home sales or rentals as my main source of income.

Answers

4
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Do both as a newbie. As you get more experience, you might find you may not want to do rentals at all.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
http://www.jnationproperties.com
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Feb 10, 2013
You can do both. Many agents who list and sell homes work in teh rental market for quicker income.
Emil Veltre, Agent, Clearwater Beach, FL
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Dominique,

It depends on the market that you are in as rentals in the Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City areas command higher rents. As the rental cycle is much shorter than the sales cycle you can make money doing rentals while you are waiting for your sales to close. Therefore, if you work with the right company who has the inventory and the traffic you can make a good living on rentals alone. However, with that said, I would pursue both sales and rentals.

I hope this helps!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Feb 2, 2013
This isn't NYC, so residential rentals, for an agent, are not as lucrative.

If you're going to become a residential Realtor in NJ - imo - go into sales.

Best wishes.....