Where in the lower 48 would one find the best values, 3 to 4 seasons, sense of community, walking, recreation?

Asked by Debera Reiley, 98119 Fri Jan 11, 2008

and where prices are realistic? I just moved from Alaska after 30 years and am currently in Seattle, Wa. Can't afford to live here and in fact, it is too rainy and too similar to the climate I left. I do like the urban living but need access to hiking and outdoor type activities, blue skies help. At the moment, I can easily afford around $200K but also want to garden so condos are out and I have a sweet dog.
Wouldn't mind a university nearby. Of course, I want it all but have no idea where to start looking. Bought a VW Eurovan so I could exploring the US this spring and summer. I can move just about anywhere, I think. Oh, I need a friendly place.... DJ

Answers

1
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jan 11, 2008
You might want to look in the Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina areas. I'm more familiar with Northern Virginia, which is pretty much out of your price range. What you have is a moderate climate--very nice springs and falls. Summers can be a bit warm and sticky, but winters are pretty moderate...at least compared to Alaska! So the climate shoudl work.

As far as hiking and outdoor activity, you'll have the Blue Ridge Mountains on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other, and lots of activities inbetween. Lots of universities and university towns in that area, too--University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, etc. So you have a somewhat sophisticated environment, often a small-town or medium-town feel, but you can get as rural as you want in a 15 minute drive. And the people are friendly. Plan to spend a few weeks, ideally in April or May, just driving down the coast from Virginia. (Lots of touristy things to do, too!) I think you'll like it.