When staging a house should u Use a small amount of furniture or make the the house look like it is being lived in with its usual furniture?

Asked by wantyouropinion, 10314 Mon Aug 26, 2013

Answers

8
Bev West’s answer
Bev West, Agent, Greeley, CO
Wed Aug 28, 2013
You have been given a lot of good advice and the only thing I can add is that is that there are a lot of variables to consider and consult with your agent or some stagers give a free consultation. Remember the rule of thumb: Less is more!
Gary R. DeFi…, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Aug 27, 2013
When stageing a house the most important part is to clean up clutter and minimize personal decorations. You want the home to look lived in but show off the space. Buyers want to be able to imagine what it will look like when the decorate it.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Aug 26, 2013
It is very difficult to "see" the real size of a totally vacant room and one that is filled with furniture looks even smaller.

Less is ALWAYS more.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Aug 26, 2013
Design issues are answered differently, WYO. What we'd do is to look at the space in it's setting, figure out our resources, and then do the most to make the space welcoming to visitors.

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Aug 26, 2013
Your agent can better answer the question as/she is familiar with the property; too many factors/unknowns need consideration for an accurate answer....
Deborah Brac…, Agent, STATEN ISLAND, NY
Mon Aug 26, 2013
I always give my clients the same advice and it seems to work well: THINK MODEL HOME!!!
By the way, I hope you're using a licensed real estate professional to help you with the sale of your home. If not, I'd be happy to help you......
Jill Subes, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Aug 26, 2013
multi- purpose the room. You want to make it look like there are separate designated rooms or spaces
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Mon Aug 26, 2013
Depends on what you consider "usual" furniture and how big (or small) the space is! Some people are pack rats and cram in way more than they need! Use common sense. Or hire a stager or a Realtor who also does staging.

I think a moderate amount of furniture is good. It helps people get a feel for how big (or small) the room is.

For example, in the living room I'd put a couch (or loveseat), maybe a chair, a coffee table and maybe a lamp and some accessories. I wouldn't fill the space with more furniture like end tables or sofa tables, or multiple couches.

For a small bedroom you wouldn't want to put in a king size bed, plus side tables, plus dressers! I'd put in a queen bed and a nightstand and that's it.