What's the average time for older (1950's) homes in 78704 to sell? Is there anyone wanting to buy a 3/1 under 1000 sq ft?

Asked by Ss1325, Austin, TX Thu Sep 29, 2011

We are thinking about putting our house on the market but with the market as it is right now we just aren't sure. I am afraid it may be on the market for a long time because it only has one bathroom and the kitchen is tiny. It's about 900 sq ft, and the rooms are small but it is hardwood floors throughout, a nice fence in the back, new paint, granite counters, stainless fridge and dishwasher and a brand new ac system costing over $9000. But still, do people buy homes with only one bathroom?

Answers

26
Marc Warshaw…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Feb 23, 2012
As others have said. 78704 is a very desirable area. You should have no worries about putting your house on the market. Absolutely it will sell. You just need to position it and price it right. For example, many people are interested in buying something in South Austin that they can expand. If your house and lot fit that bill, and it was marketed as such, it could be very attractive. You specific question of how long will it take. Of course no one can really say - but the market data in South Austin for January does provide some indications. 78704 is divided into two market areas: area 6 and area 7. In Area 6, DOM (days on market) were 86 days compared to 72 days 1 year ago; i.e. trending longer. But inventory is down (62 homes listed vs 93 1 year ago) and new listings in Jan were 39 vs 46 a year ago. What does this mean? The forces of supply and demand would indicate this is becoming more of a sellers market than a buyers market. And it's Spring in Texas ... well almost, when buyers start looking aggressively. Area 7 is very hot right now with DOM actually less (31 days) than they were a years ago (82 days).

Find a good realtor who can help you understand the market and recommend how to position and market your house, and how to price it to sell.

Feel free to contact me if you like. I specialize in the South Austin area and have done several remodel projects there and sold them as well.

Good luck and all the best,
Marc
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Dear Ss1325,
I just wanted to let you know my office is just up the street by Whole Foods world headquarters, so if I can help please don't hesitate to let me know. We specialize in central Austin and I personally lived in 78704 for many years. I can provide the most recent 78704 sales/comps to you at no charge.
Cheers,
Betina

Betina Foreman, Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
512.771.6318
Cynthia Matt…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Hello there! The demand for properties in 78704 is still very high. If its priced right and shows well, you should have no problem selling it quick. As a specialist in the 78704 area and a resident in the area aswell, I know many buyers that choose a home for the location and charming characteristics. Should you want to speak to an agent who knows the '04 area very well, please reach out and Ill be certainly glad to meet with you. For a fun video on 78704, check out my video on my website.. Link is below!

Best of luck!

Cynthia Mattiza, Realty Austin
cynthia@realtyaustin.com
http://www.realtyaustin.com/agents/Cynthia-Mattiza.php
512.940.5293
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Dear SS1325,
78704 is still a highly desirable area and sought after by many buyers. You said the home is updated so that is a plus. Size may not be such an issue as many choosing to live in 78704 are young single people. There are some families that buy in 78704, but typically I see more young professionals moving into the'04. It is also known as Austin's "Hip Zip" because it has such a strong draw for the younger 25-35 population. If you need more help or specific numbers just give me a call I am happy to help.

Cheers,
Betina

Betina Foreman, Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
512.771.6318
Cynthia Matt…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Yes, there are buyers that will buy your 3/1. I live in the 78704 area and in a neighborhood where there is demand for homes regardless of the # of bathrooms. I would love to meet with you to discuss specifially where your house is and to inform you on how that neighborhood is doing. Average days on market in 78704 is low and demand is HIGH.

Cynthia Mattiza, REALTOR®
512-940-5293 direct
http://www.cynthiamattiza.com
cynthiamattiza@gmail.com
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Mar 5, 2012
I find it surprising that agents from other states are chiming in on such a neighborhood specific question. How can someone in NY, KY, MI, IL, GA, UT, CA or FL know about a tiny Austin neighborhood? SS1325, your best bet is to contact a local Realtor that works in 78704. You don't have to contact me, but please get your information from someone IN Austin, as that will be your most reliable and accurate source. I wish you luck!
Cheers,
Betina
Michael McEl…, Agent, Iowa City, IA
Mon Mar 5, 2012
Make sure to make the space look as big as possible and price it according to fair market value. Typically, a buyer exists for a smaller home with one bathroom. You will want to adjust your marketing to fit that demographic and go after that niche buyer with effective pricing and removing any oversized furniture. Best of luck.

-Mike
Lori Huey, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Mar 4, 2012
Spring is a good time to put your house on the market if you have not already.

When considering putting you house on the market, get a market analysis done. Make sure you price it with the market. People love 78704 because of the shopping and closeness to downtown.

Have the Realtor assist you with staging or have someone come in and stage to make your 900 sqft look bigger.

You will need to get an energy audit done when you put your home on the market.
Marybeth Bea…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sun Mar 4, 2012
Make sure it is clean as a whistle! Upgraded kitchen is good, along with a very nice bathroom. Make sure it has curb appeal.
Sharyn Willa…, Agent, Blanchard, OK
Sat Mar 3, 2012
I know it's been a while since you posted this...did you ever sell it? I am sure it didn't last long.
Mark Kopanski, Agent, Land O Lakes, FL
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Location, upgraded features, a well maintained interior/exterior and competitive pricing will certainly make your home attractive to buyers. Your home sounds very marketable.
Kevin, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Feb 29, 2012
Location, Condition and Price are the primay factors, even within the "04" zip, with the north "04 (Bouldon, Barton and Travis) areas being the hottest. I would be happy to pull together a Comparative Analysis for your home and discuss the possibilites for getting it sold. I am south Austin based and work in real estate full time.

Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email with your address...

Kevin Roy
ERA Bettinger Reatlors
512-426-2689
Patricia O'R…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Location, upgraded features, a well maintained interior/exterior and competitive pricing will certainly make your home attractive to buyers. Your home sounds very marketable to those searching in the popular 78704 area!
Adrian Provo…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Feb 27, 2012
People will certainly purchase this property.. Price and the condition of the home will be important factors to consider along with market conditions.

Adrian Provost
Web Reference:  http://www.AdrianProvost.com
TyrenePasco, Agent, Detroit, MI
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Yes usually single couples or just a one person Buyer.
TyrenePasco, Agent, Detroit, MI
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Yes but at the same it's not rear!
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
I googled max home selling system, curious what that was and this was what I found. It is a franchised, trademarked terminology for common sense. I was thinking for my business, but these are the things any good agent will do for you.
http://www.daviscompany.com/selling.php
Sounds like an must do near future Fantastic ideal , looking forward John Walin.
Flag Sat Apr 21, 2012
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Just because it will sell fast doesnt mean buyers will overpay. Question is what is the land value and pricing the house at the land value is the best way to sell fast. Most buyers wouldnt want to do a major addition to an existing home and if they did, they need lot width to accomodate a normal 2-3k sqft house.
get a local agent you trust and price it at land only value, it will sell from all the positives about your location.
Michael Estes, Agent, Leander, TX
Thu Feb 23, 2012
Ss1325,
Marc W that answered below me did a great job of answering your questions, props to him! I will try not to be redundent. GREAT JOB MARC W.
Specializing in an area is only a very SMALL componet of choosing an agent. In fact choosing the good old local guy could cost you thousands. Did you know that less than 1% of all agents in America have access to a Proven system they use to sell their clients homes for 5 to 15% more money? Have you ever meet someone who does not want to sell their home for it's Maximum Value? I have not, they must be few and far between. Yet when sellers hire agents they don't interview 2, 3, or 4 canadiates to be sure they have partnered with someone who not only understands their goals and objectives but also CAN achieve them. Not through HOPE but through PROVEN SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES.

I would love to introduce to you The Maximum Value Home Selling System®, the only Proven Process to Sell Your Home for up to 5% to 15% more money

Get the Price You Deserve for Your Homeâ„¢

If you're like most people, you want the highest possible price for your home. The sad truth is that most home sellers cheat themselves out of thousands or tens of thousands in lost profits because few sellers (and few real estate agents) know the secrets to getting maximum value for their property.

The Maximum Value Home Selling System® is a proven home selling process that thousands of home sellers have used to sell their home for the highest price in the shortest amount of time. Did you know that there are over 100 steps in the home selling process that could impact the final selling price of your home?

I offer to send a free copy of the exclusive report, The 7 Secrets to Selling Your Home for up to 5% to 15% More Money with no obligation.

If you would like to see video testimony of how this system has helped clients right here in Austin click the link below to learn more. Don't Settle for less, get your Maximum Value.
Good Luck
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Feb 22, 2012
Dear SS1325,
Your 78704 home will sell. It is just a matter of time. This area is very sought after due to its proxemity to downtown Austin. Expect it to sell faster if you have a larger lot or have updated your home. Also if its an AD Stenger original there are people looking for those specific homes. 78704 has more Stenger homes than any other Austin neighborhood. Please give me a call if I can help.
Betina
Shannon Gard…, Agent, Saint George, UT
Wed Feb 22, 2012
There's always a market for every home. You need the advice of a Realtor in your area to give you the specifics about selling that type of home in your area.
Oroville Ren…, Other Pro, oroville, CA
Mon Feb 20, 2012
There is no exact time for something to sell your 50s home
its all about the asking price and the amount of qualified buyers
if the price is better then homes in the area and the home is cleaned up real nice you speed up the sale time
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Feb 19, 2012
Absolutely people will buy this home. The 78704 is considered Austin's "Hip Zip". Probably half the buyers I work with ask for '04. While many of the older homes are smaller there is still a big draw for this neighborhood. There are lots of single people living here so one bath is not necessarily a drawback. The fact that you updated the home may help it sell faster. The thing you need to be prepared for if your lot is very large a developer may buy it and tear it down to build two homes. The developers are creating condo associtations of 2-3 in order to more densely develop this area. They make far more money building and selling 2-3 homes where there was previously only one. I have seen some homes sell in less than a week, and others may take 6-12 months to sell. It is going to depend on the home and the lot. If your right next to South Lamar it may take longer, and if your street has access to one of the Gus Fruh trailheads or Zilker Park it may go faster! There are lots of variables to consider. If you need help please let me know I would be happy to help you.
Betina
John Cotten, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Oct 6, 2011
That area of town will always sell well because of its location. You will find buyers looking in the area that will overlook the bathroom and kitchen, especially since you have other updates to offer. The key is to price your home correctly from the start. You can visit our website to request a free comparative market analysis of your home that will include similar properties that have recently sold.

Feel free to call me with any detailed questions.

Best of luck!
John Cotten
Broker/Texas Capital Properties
512-587-3732
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Sep 29, 2011
Ss,
Phillip sounds like a good resource. Your home may have limitations, but it likely also has some potential. Most any home properly prepared, marketed and priced will sell. You need to meet with some local agents and find out what the market value may be for you to make a final decision. Best of luck.
Phillip Baird, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Sep 29, 2011
It is a very good time to sell your home in 78704. If priced correctly, your house should sell quickly. You are in one of the hottest neighborhoods in town. Most people would buy it thinking they will add another bathroom and otherwise expand the house. Give me a call or email me and I will gladly go over the comps in your neighborhood and give you an idea of what your house is worth in the current market.

Phillip

Phillip Baird
512-289-5738
fax: 512-623-6032
phillipdbaird@gmail.com