What’s Behind Falling Housing Inventories? The Wall Street Journal recently highlighted several reasons behind the dropping inventories, including:

Asked by Jan Baer, Littleton, CO Thu Jan 24, 2013

1. Sellers hesitant to sell
2. Not enough equity to trade up
3. Investors continue to snatch up properties
4. Banks are slowing down foreclosures
5.Builders are doing less building
I believe the market is rebounding in Colorado, but we still have the basic economics of Real Estate 101 SUPPLY and DEMAND! Need more properties on the market (Inventory) to keep up with Buyer Demand!

Answers

2
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Jan,

Those are all good answers. But even the sellers who have equity are hesitant to sell for 3 reasons. They are not aware of the significant price increases all over the Denver area that could make this the best time for them to sell. They are not aware of the supply and demand issues that make it a quick and easy time for a seller to get a home sold often with multiple offers. Also, the sellers thought is "what if I do sell my home quickly and there is nothing out there for me". We will see what happens next as we get to spring. there are still buyers and sellers who have the old thought process of waiting to springtime to buy or sell.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Sean Wooten, Agent, Peoria, AZ
Thu Jan 24, 2013
I agree with your current assessment on the current market and your reasoning behind it, however, another shoe may drop on the market this year as another round of layoffs become from major corporations becomes more frequent and it is stating to happen now. I know a lot of engineers that have gotten laid off in a sector. Whole departments.