Dawn Wiley,  in Los Angeles County, CA

What is a great home inspector?

Asked by Dawn Wiley, Los Angeles County, CA Wed Jun 6, 2012

Agents, what do you look for in a home inspector? I have recently finished home inspection school and I want to offer services that agent are looking for...

Organizing Confusion
310-592-8568

Answers

5
Dorene Slavitz’s answer
Dear Dawn,

I really like a home inspector with contracting license or experience. They seem to be well rounded in their approach to a home. I also like one that carefully explains everything to the buyer, without over dramatization, and presents a written report of their findings.
It's not desireable to find additional defects after the inspection is over, and if that happens I would use another home inspection company.
The perfect home inspector knows everything about homes. He or she is familiar with building materials, every mechanical and electrical system that's ever been used, and every modification that homeowners can come up with. He or she is completely up to date on every new housing related product that comes onto the market and is able to anticipate the failure modes of every material and component. They also know how to evaluate these systems almost instantly and determine whether they are functioning properly.

Make sure the real estate contract includes an inspection clause. Typically, contracts allow home buyers 10 or so days after signing to have the property inspected. But that's not always the case, so it's important that the contract include a home-inspection clause. The results of the inspection can be used to ask the seller to fix trouble spots, or to adjust the selling price to cover the cost of necessary repairs.

Get references.

Lacy Burke
REMAX
310-666-9752
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Outside your market, but wanted to chime in. First congratulations and second since one of my pet peeves with a home inspector is the "alarmist" mindset. Geez, find the flaws but stay calm and unbiased. Most home buyers are very anxious during this time. Why the inspector wants to point out the nail pop in the roof as the end of the world is beyond me.

Again, best of luck!

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Exclusive Buyer Agency since 1999
Congratulations Dawn on finishing your inspection school. Agents and clients look for a reputable company with a well rounded knowledge and professionalism. I also look for inspectors who are articulate and able to explain the report in an accessible manner.
I think what both of these home inspectors is great.
http://mazzainspections.com/

http://jpinspectionservice.com/