What do you think will happen to Chicago's Southside if and when we get the Olympics?

Asked by Jocelyn, Chicago, IL Thu Feb 14, 2008

Do you think we will see the Southside neighborhoods turn into the next Northside? What are your opinions? What neighborhood will turn hot?

Answers

3
Mike Long, Agent, Naperville, IL
Fri Feb 22, 2008
If we get the Olympics you will see a difference in the South Side. Even without the Olympics we've seen drastic changes in the past 5 years. A lot for sale and not enough under contract....which you can say about a lot of areas but really the case in the South Loop. Inventory is way up so my guess would be that the Olympics would help. Tough to judge anything in this market. Movement in certain areas is easier to judge when the market is more normal. By the time they announch who is hosting we should be talking "normal" market. Sorry if I wasn't much help.
Jim Gramata, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Feb 22, 2008
We will get the Olympics and you bet the entire area along the lake will go nuts due to the massive invested capital. I already see a difference in savvy buyers who are asking the same questions. There was a recent announcement of a massive commercial and residential development just south of McCormick Place which will include restaurants, housing...an instant neighborhood. It will be a great area for investment regardless of the Olympics if that development starts because of the convention traffic needing a place to walk .

Bronzeville, South Loop Lake Meadows and Prairie Shore....its a great questions and I would recommend a long term investment in that area.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Thu Feb 14, 2008
That would be so cool.

First the Southside St. Patrick's day parade, and now the Olympics.