We're trying to figure out when to put our Squirrel Hill home on the market? Now? April? We live north of Forbes near Forbes and Murray.

Asked by Sheira Greenwald, Fri Dec 27, 2013

Answers

11
Anesha Nesbi…, Agent, Wappingers, NY
Mon Jan 6, 2014
Hi! I'm glad you asked. I think you should market your lsiting as soon as possible to take advantage of the fact that there are very few listings in the area.

May I ask, When are you looking to leave your home and would you be willing to move out earlier if I were able to sell your home?

Francell

Francellshomes@gmail.com
Donna Wether…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Hi Sheira,

I'm a Squirrel Hill neighbor of yours and am very familiar with your particular area.

If I can be of any help, feel free to call anytime. The best time to list is just after the first of the year.

Check out my website below.

Best wishes,
Donna Wetherbee
Blair W. Coh…, Agent, Monroeville, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Sheira,

That's a good question. I've been asked that many times in my 36 plus years selling real estate.

When would you like to have it sold? One thing is for sure, your house won't sell if it is not on the market.

That said the market is generally slower this time of the year and it usually gets more active in February provided the weather cooperates a little. I have been selling real estate since 1977 and in that time I have seen February as one of the more active selling times for me with the exception of 2010 when we had record snowfalls. March is generally even better. The market often slows a little from mid June to mid August as many would be homebuyer's are on vacation. So if you wait until April you may miss a large part of the most active selling time and the opportunities that go along with it.

It all comes down to what you want and when you are ready to have it sold. If you are ready now then why wait. The old saying, there's no time like the present has it's merits.

Thank you and good luck,
Blair Cohen
RE/MAX Realty Centre
housesella@aol.com
http://www.BlairCohen.com
Steve Mole, Agent, Murrysvile, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
The market seems to ramp up after the first of the year, as others have said. It increases until the spring market peaks in April and May. June usually has the most closings of any month of the year…and most houses go under contract 30-60 days before they close.

The East End has been a wonderful market for the last couple of years

Here's how many east end homes went under agreement last spring, by month:
January 84
February 101
March 132
April 152
May 181
June 135
July 122

Steve Mole
RE/MAX Select Shadyside Office
Steve@SteveJMole.com
Cell/text 412-956-2348
Web Reference:  http://SteveJMole.com/
Joe Yost, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Hi Sheira,

Like most have already expressed, the best time to list a property is when you are ready. With that being said the upcoming months are the most active in our market. The "North of Forbes" market is a very sought after area all year round. My office is on Forbes and Murray and I know first hand there is a lack of inventory with buyers waiting for new inventory to hit the market. I am Prudential's relocation specialist for the area and many future buyers are looking for our area year round, and now. I would love to discuss further market trends, what a potential sales price would be, and Prudential's marketing plan to get you top dollar.

Please let me know how I can help,

Joe Yost
Prudential Preferred Realty- Squirrel Hill office
412-889-5965
Doug Rees, Agent, Moon Township, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Hello Sheira,

After the1st of the year is usually a good time, as the Market has less inventory in the Winter months so there is less competition and the Buyers looking in the Winter months tend to be more serious Buyers. April is a good time as well because more people enter the Buying Market, however more Sellers will put their houses on the Market creating more competition.
You are lucky that you happen to live in an area that is always rather busy in the Market, so I would say to list your Home when it is most convenient for you.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. I would be happy to chat with you.
Good Luck with selling your Home.

Doug Rees
724 779-1009 Direct Number.
Joann Snyder, Agent, Coraopolis, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
The time is now! Several people will start looking for a new home right after the holidays. They want to move on and start things fresh in the new year. You should have your home on the market in time to catch the buyers eye. Listing is good the 30th. of December or the 2nd. of January. Good luck with your sale.
If you need any more help, I can always be reach at Prudential Preferred Realty.
Dale Swanton, Agent, Upper Saint Clair, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Hi Sheira,

The answer to your question depends on a lot of factors. What is your reason for selling? It is true that the market picks up in the Spring, but there are still plenty of buyers looking today, so don't be afraid to put your home on the market now if you are ready. While you may have more interest in the Spring (and hence potentially a higher offer), don't forget that you will still be paying taxes, making mortgage payments, etc. from now until then that may offset any potential benefit of a higher offer. Also, if you are planning on making any updates to your home you may want to get those done before putting it on the market. I'd be happy to chat with you about your specific situation. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Sheira,
Are you planning on buying after you sell? This would factor into your decision as well. Seasonal factors which help your sale, may hurt your purchase.
I would encourage you to start the process of finding the right agent to represent you. They can provide you with critical data, like the level of competition for the most similar homes both now and as time goes forward. A great one can also suggest any changes it may be beneficial to make to maximize your return. Finally a great agent will introduce you to a great lender who can begin to assist you with anything you need to know or do regarding your credit.
Kathleen Cun…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Sheira, now is the perfect time to list your home. It is a sellers market, meaning there are more buyers than homes in the marketplace. Interest rates are starting to increase, but are still low. Personally, I always get busy in January with buyers looking for homes so they can move in the Springtime. Let me know if I can assist you or if you have any further questions. Have a good night. Kathleen
Brian Teyssi…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
thanks for posting your question on Trulia.

there is no right or wrong answer and it would depend largely upon your motivation to sell. It's no secret that interest rates are the lowest they've been in decades. One should assume that they're going to go up soon. This means less qualified buyers. So, with this in mind, I would say sooner rather than later if that fits your motivation.
Web Reference:  http://www.brianteyssier.com