We are moving to San Antonio for 2 years and would like to live in Alamo Heights...what is rental market like there?

Asked by Jenn P, Colorado Fri Jan 28, 2011

Would consider buying and hold for a rental property when we leave.

Answers

3
Stephen Fost…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Feb 24, 2011
Alamo Heights is considered one of the most prestigious areas to live in San Antonio. You will pay a rental premium to live there because of the superior schools.

Typically, I tell my clients that if they have children that are going to attend public school Alamo Heights should be a consideration. If you don't have children, there are other areas that are very good or better where you might get much more for your money.
Jason Campbe…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Ok.. I'm a goof-ball.. you said "FOR 2 YEARS" not "IN 2 YEARS"

Ok... the rental market right now is as follows:

Statistics Total Properties: 31 properties rented in the past 12 months

Minimum Rent: $520 per month
Maximum Rent: $3,500 per month
Average rents collected: $1,652 per month
The average days vacant or on the marktet were: 45 days

Translated into English... depending on your price-range, you will be able to attract a wide variety of renters. Your home won't stay vacant very long, as usually, people lap up those rentals as fast as they can. As of this writing... there are only 3.. that's right.... ONLY 3 homes for rent in Alamo Heights... They just go way too fast!

I would say you are barking up the right tree if you are only looking to live here for 2 years, and then hold the home as a rental. Obviously, the cheaper you go on your purchase the better... but you will have no problem at all making a good income over and above your payment, and your vacancy rate will be very low as well.

Hope that helps... for more specific info, shoot me a quick e-mail, and I will e-mail you a very detailed report with the stats and the demographics.

Besides... it's always good to welcome the new neighbors ;)
Jason Campbe…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jan 31, 2011
The rental market is great in Alamo Heights. It is a bit competitive as the High School is such a good school.

No telling what it will look like 2 years from now... but for right now.. it is a great place to buy a home to hold as a rental. Homes don't stay vacant long, and you can get some good rent in the area.

If you would like... I can pull you a full rental report and e-mail it over to you... just shoot me a quick note, and I will e-mail it right back to you. Indicate what your price-range is, and I will get you the stats to match.

I have lived in Alamo Heights for 10 years now... and I may never leave!

Jason C Campbell
Realtor / Loan Officer
(210) 389-5266