Jeanc819, Home Buyer in Doylestown, PA

Was someone killed in this house ?

Asked by Jeanc819, Doylestown, PA Sun Dec 29, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/1084175403-2918-Snake-Hill-Rd…

Answers

6
Dan Golden, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Sun Dec 29, 2013
If someone was killed in a house, you are probably going to have to find out for yourself, because the real estate agent representing the seller is not obligated to disclose that information to you. A state court ruled on that issue in 2012, and it won't change unless the Pa. Supreme Court rules otherwise at a future date.

But that doesn't mean you can't find out information like that yourself. Ask. Ask the agent representing the owners. Ask the owners. There is a difference between disclosing something to you and lying when asked a direct question. Ask neighbors. Ask the person who delivers the mail. Check with police. Check the local newspaper to see if anything criminal occurred on the property. Go on the internet. You might have to dig a bit, but the information is out there.

It comes down to this. Let the buyer beware.
Dan Golden, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Thu Jan 9, 2014
Hello Mike,
Thank you for your answer. I also believe disclosure is the best bet. It's the right thing to do.
Meaning what Dan? Please expand.
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
Nancy Willia…, Agent, Doylestown, PA
Thu Jan 9, 2014
I think as Realtors we have an obligation to serve the community despite what the law says. If I knew of a death and was asked directly by someone concerned, I would treat it as a material defect and disclose. If I represented the seller I would tell them my intention to do this and let them decide if they still want to hire me. Didn't anyone see the second season of American Horror Story? Every house has its history.
Being honest and forthright isn't opening myself to litigation. It's treating people's questions with the respect they deserve.
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
Good luck. Opening yourself to serious litigation.
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
By the way, I don't know the answer to your question about the house on Snake Hill Road, but suspect that I would have heard if something had happened there recently. The house that is on the property now is slated to be torn down.
Flag Thu Jan 9, 2014
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Most states it does not have to be disclosed but if the question is asked directly if anyone had, then at least here in NH it has to be answered truthfully if known.
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Great answer Dan so I do not want to repeat. PA disclosure law does not require this to be disclosed. If you want to research it on your home and it is important to you, you can try to find out on your own.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
Ranked #1 In The State of PA in 2012 For Affiliated Coldwell Banker International Realtors
2012 Coldwell Banker International President’s Elite Award
2010-2011 Coldwell Banker International President’s Circle Award
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Noah Seidenb…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sun Dec 29, 2013
I agree with Dan Golden and he wrote a good answer. Does it really matter? If you are a buyer and it suites your needs then go for it.