There's a lot of grousing about the diesel train line in Glen Head, Glen Cove area. Is this a deal breaker for a city commuter? I work in Midtown.

Asked by Kevburke77, Albertson, NY Wed Jan 30, 2013

Answers

4
Kevburke77, Home Buyer, Albertson, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
Standing would not be tolerable for an entire trip. A one hour commute is doable however. But I assume you mean standing from Jamaica to Penn. I've rode the subway my whole life so that's not too bad if its only 15 minutes. Then again it looks like there are express trains that Don't require a switch at rush hour. Thanks!
Joseph Lauri…, Agent, Garden City, NY
Sat Feb 2, 2013
A diesel train line takes longer if you live past the point at which they switch from the electric train to the diesel. This is do to there being no third rail for electricity past that point. That being said the schedules are accurate and account for the switch. Your tolerance for commuting is the question to be answered. Keep in mind you may have to stand the whole way or at least part
Ellen Caruso, Agent, Glen Head, NY
Thu Jan 31, 2013
I myself have been a commuter for many years in my previous career. The train line in Glen Head is a double decker, cozy and quiet during the commute. You usually have to change trains in Jamacia but its not a big deal as the rest of the ride is relaxing. Also, Glen Head has the option for Busses to commute to NYC. They are a cost effective option as well as a very comfortable less than 1 hour straight drive and drop off on certain streets, thus avoiding Penn Station all together.

If you have any questions feel free to call me
Jeff Stone, Agent, Port Washington, NY
Thu Jan 31, 2013
I haven't heard a lot of 'grousing' by commuters in these areas. People always want an easier, quieter + perhaps less disruptive service. Glen Head + Glen Cove are desirable read to live + raise your children. There is always a give + take with all things in life. If you are looking to live in a great commuter friendly town, why not look in Port Washington. This train line is a straight shot into Manhattan. I came from Queens where daily life was a challenge, but we got used to it.
Contact me if you wish to expand your options.
Web Reference:  http://www.laffey.com/jstone
Thanks Jeff. My brother-in-law lives in Port Wash as do some of my friends. Great town. Looking for a little more of a country feel, more property but still a reasobale ciommute. I hear the diesel trains break down a lot and are slower, plus the change at Jamaica. But I agree that there's always a tradeoff. If it's quiet I can get work done or read a book and enjoy the alone time.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013