South Lake Tahoe

Asked by Wing, Sunnyvale, CA Fri Oct 19, 2007

My wife and I were talking about getting a vacation home in South Lake Tahoe. Could anybody give some information about the market there, like price trend, inventory level, transaction activities, etc? Also, what about the time sharing option?

Thank you so much.
Jason

Answers

11
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Fri Oct 19, 2007
Many of the people who lost homes in the big fire this summer have purchased homes in neighboring SLT communities, I think this might have kept the inventory in SLT from mushrooming as it has elsewhere , and kept prices in SLT from dropping percentagewise as much as in the foothill communities and Sac Valley. There are many different time sharing options ranging from single or double weeks up to fractional ownership.
To research this reply, I went on to MLS and read about a 9 week fractional ownership of a 2900 square foot house listed at $199,000. (Reduced from original $299,000 asking price)
Condo's (full ownership) start around $299K and single family houses start around $399K.
At the top end of the market is the Tommy Hilfiger (famous fashion designer) estate listed at $105 million
Tahoehighsie…, Home Owner, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Sat May 5, 2012
Also in reference to Jim Walker's post, the link to a page on on the South Lake Tahoe real estate site is now updated to...

Web Reference: http://tahoehighsierra.com/cgi-win/rei/ListSrch.exe?BrAgent=…

Or go directly to http://MyLakeTahoeInvestment.com
Sat May 5, 2012
The South Lake Tahoe real estate web site has a new website name.

It is now http://TahoeHighSierra.com/rei/

The site still includes the MLS search updated daily as well as secure private signup for automatic notification of new listings.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Realtor who would assist you would need to determine what you are qualified for in order narrow the information for you. Are you paying cash ? OR lender ? Agent would need have you qualified for a mortgage which governs how they can assist you in your search

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Jamison and…, Agent, Tahoe City, CA
Thu Dec 23, 2010
By now you have seen the attraction to Having a Lake Front Tahoe Real Estate Home? Tahoe has a lifestyle for every season. The summers and summer crowd bring an incredible atmosphere and the winters bring a kind of life you won't find anywhere else. The Real Estate Market has always been a sure bet. Recently we found many buying multiple properties because of the great pricing, short sales and foreclosures coupled with great rates. If you havent yet bought in Tahoe its a good time to think about it. If you have and are looking for another great investment this is a good time for that too.
Jc Gomez, Home Buyer, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Sat Nov 15, 2008
Jason:

My wife and I just bought a second home there about a month ago and we have been enjoying it to the fullest. We have been watching the market fro a year and half and the prices are so low now that we could not resist the temptation, I think the prices now are depressed but this is a promising market that will not remain like that for long, it is close to very big population centers like the bay area, greater sacramento, reno and it also offers evrything you could want from a second home: skiing in winter, great beaches in summer, great hikes, fishing etc.....

We bought in Christmas Valley and so far the experience has been great....
Serena Russe…, Agent, FREMONT, CA
Mon Nov 10, 2008
Hello Wing,

You received a lot of useful information from other Realtors. I wondered if you bought your home in south lake tahoe.

I bought my second home there 10 years ago and it has doubled in prices.

I love my place and enjoy spending time there. I also rent it out as a seasonal rental all through the year.

Let me know if I can assist with your decision.
Brent Johnson, Agent, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tue Feb 19, 2008
Jason,
I'm glad that you are thinkig about a vacation home in South Lake Tahoe, Great Choice! Our market has remained stronger than most, due to the fact that most houses in South Lake Tahoe are second homes. The second home market is a stronger and more stable market. Currently we have 427 single family homes on the market in South Lake Tahoe, 48 of those (11.2%) are currently in escrow. Our inventory should rise this spring as it usually does, because many people wait to list there homes until the snow melts and there yards show better. Regarding transaction activities, 2007 saw a 14% decline from 446 units sold in 2006 to 385 units sold in 2007. So far in 2008 there have been 25 single family units sold. The average price of sold homes went up 3% in 2007 from $562,693 in 2006 to $578,627 in 2007. The increase in price was mainly due to the fact that home sales over $1,000,000 are still strong.
Now It is a great time to buy in South Lake Tahoe. There are some good oppertunities from motivated sellers and REOs. I would love to help you find the perfect vacation home in South Lake Tahoe!
Sharon, Home Seller, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Sun Feb 17, 2008
Jason;
My husband and are going to relocate. We are going to put our house on the market this Spring. We are in the Lake Tahoe Country Club area. Our home is newly painted inside and out. It sits on a corner lot and the utilites are all underground. The golf course is down the street, we have open forest across from our home and there is park at the other end of the street. The homes in our neighborhood and cal due sac are all well maintained. We bought the house new and raised our family here. Our home is 1820 sq feet. If you are still looking in south Lake and would like to take a look at our home before we list, please email us at sopoor@sbcglobal.net.

Sharon
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Sat Oct 20, 2007
The STAR {South Tahoe Association of Realtors) MLS is generally searchable by Realtors. Their MLS allows the public to search for posted open houses, which is very limited. -- However there are dozens of SLT agent web sites that allow searching. Some are set up to capture you as a lead, some allow anonymous searchng. You can also search Trulia (about 14 listings) Realtor.com (668 lisitngs) or my MLS http://www.metrolistmls.com (also about 14 listings)

The link below seems searchable and did not require me to register.
Wing, Both Buyer And Seller, Sunnyvale, CA
Sat Oct 20, 2007
Thank you Jim. I tried to search properties in SLT and got confused sometime. Many ads on the websites on checked didn't provide enough (and basic) info like whether it includes land, whether it's fractional ownership, etc. Could you recommend any good websites for house hunting?

Thank you so much.
Jason