Should I buy a house in the better part of a "not as nice" suburb, or buy a house in the "not so nice" are of a better suburb?

Asked by Katie, Mon Feb 22, 2010

I could buy a nice house in the nicer area of Bensenville (or so I have been told) or a not as nice house in Elmhurst, Villa Park, or Lombard.

Answers

6
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Which do you like best and where will you be the happiest--a decision only you can make--if unsure, revisit the areas more than once and at different times of day, look at everything of importance to you and make a determination--where will your comfort level be reached best.
Maggie Coakl…, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Tue Feb 23, 2010
Three simple words....location, location, location. You can update a kitchen or bathroom in time, but you can't change the location or schools. When the time comes for you to sell, your buyers will be considering the same criteria. You really want to buy the worst house in the best neighborhood for a return on your investment. Good luck!
Maggie Coakley
Web Reference:  http://Maggiecoakley.com
Debra B Albe…, Agent, Port St Lucie, FL
Tue Feb 23, 2010
Katie,
This answer is purely subjective that is to you. What schools and parks are nearby...how about your favorite grocery store. Resturants and movies? What else is in the area? Where would you and your family be happier. It is always family first when deciding housing.
Ron and Debbie Albert
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference:  http://www.ronanddebbie.net
Brian McMurr…, Agent, Tawas City, MI
Tue Feb 23, 2010
In general Location should be a key criteria for a home buyer. Everyone has a different perspective about what makes a location work for them. Previous answers are solid.
Katie, ,
Mon Feb 22, 2010
I just found out that Bensenville, IL was just named #1 on the fastest declining towns in America! Is this super horrible?
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Size, location, price. You can get the best of any two. Which one will it be for you?