Renting out our newly purchased condo/townhome - Advice on rent amount and if external rental management is needed?

Asked by rgabula, Dublin, CA Fri Apr 26, 2013

Hello Experts-
We just purchased a new 4 bd 3.5 bath ADA compliant townhome at Dublin near Dougherty and Dublin Blvd.The townhome is new with $39K worth of upgrades.We want to put up the property for rent for a year before our kid goes to KG and our current apt lease expires.We are first time homebuyers .Should we go with any rental property mgmt agency or by ourselves in the process.Our current mortgage nears $4500.

Answers

3
JoAnn Wheeler, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Sat Apr 27, 2013

I am a local Real Estate agent in the Tri-Valley and I also am a leasing agent for the fastest growing Property Management Company in the East Bay, Park Place Property Management . We have over a 150 properties that we manage and I will be happy to talk with you off line and let you know what we do.
We do extensive background checks on all tenants which our clients love. We take the stress away and do all the work.

Please contact me
JoAnn Wheeler
joann@joannwheeler.com
925 699 3337.
Barbara Wils…, Agent, Danville, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
read books on managing rentals, and check out your state rules. do it yourself if you live anywhere near the property and if you take the time to read the regulations about being a landlord. the laws are important, but the costs of paying someone are great too. only you know if you are willing to take the time to become informed, and save the 10% or so that paying someone else will cost. you may not break even at this poiht, but you are close...
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Fri Apr 26, 2013
It is smart to use a property management company starting with their resources in prequalifying renters, showing the property, maintenance, checklist regarding condition when renters move in/out, eviction if necessary, etc.

But if you prefer to rent this out yourself, check out Rentometer.com to see what are the rents in your immediate area. https://www.rentometer.com/