Amy, Home Buyer in Laguna Niguel, CA

Relocating to Boston and was wondering what you think is the best place to buy in/around Boston and if it is a good time to buy?

Asked by Amy, Laguna Niguel, CA Wed May 9, 2012

Also, are there foreclosures in Boston and the suburbs?

Answers

13
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Wed May 9, 2012
Check out our previous answer on trulia on the below link. We listed the best boston suburbs with links to everything on the market in each place:
http://www.trulia.com/voices/General_Area/Best_Boston_suburb…

Here are links to fantastic Boston neighborhoods:

Back Bay http://goo.gl/R5B6C
Beacon Hill http://goo.gl/cUVfw
Charlestown http://goo.gl/uEE6L
North End http://goo.gl/E71xn
South End http://goo.gl/ya4fB

And then there is:
Brookline http://goo.gl/IzzNn

Great time to buy although this is a very active time of the year so beware of the stiff competition resulting in multi bid scenarios.

Hope that helps!
Good luck :)

Territory Real Estate
Boston's Premier Destination for Home Buyer's
Web Reference:  http://territory.com/
Julie Joyce, Agent, Dorchester, MA
Sun Nov 24, 2013
Hey there,

Not to be biased, but Dorchester is becoming more & more desirable by the day. Not only are we on the water but we're super green, have lots more parking than many other areas & the Dot is commuter friendly.

Julie Joyce, Realtor
Mac Chinsomb…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sun Nov 24, 2013
Different people like living in different areas. It comes down to your personality and likes/dislikes. I have clients that swear by their areas and wouldn't consider any other. I suggest you pick a neighborhood, find a coffee shop, and sit there watching people come and go - those people will be your neighbors if you lived there - can you see yourself enjoying the interaction and feeling at home? Do that for a variety of neighborhood that you can afford to live in. Consider distance to transportation, need for parking convenience, distance to work, friends, etc. Some clients need to be close to a subway stop and can give up parking, whereas others need specific subway lines, and others want proximity to the financial district, or will pay for a water view but give up space for it, etc. There is no one "goto" because everyone situation is different. Foreclosures are very rare now (used to be more common in some areas, but rare downtown and in highly popular areas because those markets move too quickly). I sold a rare foreclosure condo in Beacon Hill this past summer, a 1 bedroom condo for $360K - they said they had approx 10 total offers - and it was the only foreclosure I saw in the downtown area all year.
djliney, Home Buyer, Arlington, MA
Sun Nov 24, 2013
It's a great time to buy. Prices have dropped but will go back up in the spring
Mac Chinsomb…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sat May 12, 2012
Amy, it depends. Yes, I said it "it depends" - people are in different aspects of their lives - the same answer may not be relevant for everyone. I say this because for some, it's not a good time .... for others, it is a good time ... and yet for others, it's a wash. Of course, this doesn't answer your question, but I suggest you sit down with a financial planner and look at your life goals, your job, your age to retirement, any possibility of shifting jobs/markets, and a whole host of other nebulous things. I'm happy to refer you to some planners in the Boston area, if you need them. I'm trying to convince you one way or the other - it's all about what's the "best fit" for you and "for you NOW". I'm not here to sell you anything, but only to try to give you the best advice I can, based on the situation and your circumstances.

Enjoy!

- Mac
Associate Broker, ZipRealty, Inc.
mac.chinsomboon@ziprealty.com
omac@alum.mit.edu
Lynne Hagopi…, Agent, Framingham and Southborough, MA
Fri May 11, 2012
Hi Amy,

I work the Metro West area which covers the suburbs west of Boston and I have been in and seen many multiple offer situations in this fast moving Spring market. So it is a good time to buy because rates are low but inventory is lower than previously stimulating the market somewhat.
There are foreclosures all around Metro West and new ones coming on daily...There have been multiple offers on well priced lender owned as well..My office is in the Framingham area about 20 minutes from Boston.

If I can be of help, please give a call.

Lynne Hagopian
508 648-0393
Sarah Goulart…, Agent, Plymouth, MA
Fri May 11, 2012
Amy,
I just read your notes. Within a longer commute to Mansfield the world is really your oyster. I would do some research on the following town. Keep in mind that the commute could be full of traffic depending on timing so just using mapquest or the like won't give you a complete picture. That said, I like the following towns/areas:

South Boston - awesome restaurants, lots of parks for kids, many young families with younger kids but a mix of young and older professionals also.
Newton - lovely little downtown and easily accessible to the city on Green Line
West Roxbury
Milton - basically at the end of the Red Line, easy access to the city and also still affordable in your budget to get into even some of the more expensive areas. Has some outside 'non city' stuff to do in the Blue Hills area also (hiking, etc)

Good luck in your search!
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu May 10, 2012
In general the response is it is a good time to buy, for two reasons if you have a solid employment, and a good credit score, home prices are low and the interest o h m y are ever so low, take advantage of it, especially if you intend to live in Boston for quite a while...
The best would be to connect with an area Boston Realtor who knows the town well and can guide you to the right property for YOU, in a good area with access to what is important to YOU and then
help you negotiate the very best PRICE and terms once you find the right home.

If you do not know an experienced Boston Realtor feel free to contact me and I gladly recommend one
or two or three to you...

Good Luck to you! It is truly a good time for most to buy a home now when it comes to price and
interest rates.
Edith YourRealtor4Life! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients! Buyers and Sellers and relocating buyers alike....
Your Chicago / Northern Illinois and North Shore Connection providing all clients with the very BEST
services, detail oriented, pleasant to work with, and honest when pricing a home for sale, or showing you a home to buy, once you make an offer Edith will provide you with the best Comps to make a
reasonable and competitive offer
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
Yuan Li, Agent, Carlisle, MA
Thu May 10, 2012
Amy,

Sorry that I was not able to track your messages, therefore just responded... Feel free to email me directly so that I don't miss out on your comments again. I can help guide you. And no worries. No obligations to work with me if you don't think my team can best help you.

Yuan's Team Realty
Sarah Goulart…, Agent, Plymouth, MA
Wed May 9, 2012
Hi Amy,
You have received good advice so far. The market is most certainly heating up and it is a great time to be in it. There are sonmany great areas in and around Boston, what you may like depends on so many factors (your budget, schools, walkabout, commute, etc). Do some research on some areas and make a trip to visit and get the lay of the land.

There are most certainly bank owned properties in and around Boston. A good buyers agent will have access to those and traditional sales so interview a few in the area you decide to target and you will get a ton of help.
Here is our situation. I work out of the house and my husband will be working in Mansfield and flying out of the airport frequently. He doesn’t mind having a commute. We love the energy in the city, but the space and quietness in the suburbs (probably like everyone!). We do not have kid’s rights now, but are planning on a family within the next year. We will probably be in Boston for 4-5 years so we are looking for something with a good resale value. We got pretty cooked in the real estate marketing in Southern California about two years ago so we are looking for a home that will retain its value and not lose value in the next few years. We have two small dogs and would love a fenced backyard and garage for cars and storage. It would be nice to be in walking distance to shops, restaurants, a park, etc.
We have looked in Franklin, Wretham, Foxborough, etc. and liked the quite nature, space and backyards, but we don’t really need the space that all those homes provide and it seems
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
like there is nothing going to do at night or on weekends. We are looking for a home between1,500-2,500 sq.ft. is plenty of space for us at this point. We also looked a bit in Cambridge and South End which were great, but we have heard that South Boston is up and coming.
We like going out to restaurants, finding unique cuisines, being close to a market, golfing, running….I am light sleeper and we like privacy….so we are torn!
Our budget is between $400K-$900K. We would like stay around $600K or $700K if possible but would go higher if we found the perfect place to live.
What are your recommendations?
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Kevin Vitali, Agent, Tewksbury, MA
Wed May 9, 2012
It seems like the market is leveling off and heating up this spring so I think it is a good time to buy. Asking where to buy is a loaded question without knowing all the variables, with the most important one being price range.

Interview several agents and have a consultation so you can narrow down your search to what is reasonable.
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
We have looked in Franklin, Wretham, Foxborough, etc. and liked the quite nature, space and backyards, but we don’t really need the space that all those homes provide and it seems lik
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Yuan Li, Agent, Carlisle, MA
Wed May 9, 2012
Hi Amy,

A few things to take into consideration:

1. Where do you work? Driving distance? Taking T or train?
2. Do you have kids? Is school important?
3. What's your budget? How big a home are you looking for? Some towns are more pricy than the other.
4. Do you prefer suburbs or closer to city?

Those can help you decide what to do. As for buying time, definitely, right now is still buyer's market. If you are sure about your job stability, at least for a couple years, buying is a better option...

Let me know if we can help you further. You can view more info about my team here:
http://www.recommendedlocalrealtors.com/page/about-us

Yuan's Team Realty
Hi Amy,
Sorry I just noticed that you responded under my post, therefore the delay in answering.

Have you thought about looking in Norwood or even Milton. They are good towns (so resale and school will be good as well). Cambridge might be too far for your husband to commute. Dover is another affluent town to buy into. Also, compare to Foxborough, they are closer to Boston, so you can have both the nature and night activities.

Feel free to shoot me an email so that I can track and respond to you quickly. Once I know exactly what you are looking for: number of bedrooms, price point, etc., I can help guide you better.

Yuan's Team Realty
Flag Thu May 10, 2012
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Matthew Urci…, , Boston, MA
Wed May 9, 2012
Foreclosures and Bank owned properties are in the suburbs. Mainly in the less valuable areas where home prices are lower to begin with. In Brookline, Cambridge and parts of Boston. The foreclosure would sell near it's market value regardless of the bank situation. The demand is still high enough and there are plenty of people shopping with cash. In other areas we find many foreclosures that remain on the market for months.
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
What are your recommendations?
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Do you think that it's a good time to buy in Boston? We don't have kids yet, but have two dogs, and are trying to decide if we should live in or around the city or out in the suburbs. We are also looking for good resale value as we might not be in Boston more than 4-5 years. What do you think?
Flag Wed May 9, 2012