Our home was reassessed and taxes shot up. We cannot sell it for reassessed value, is there a way to get the taxes lowered? We want to downsize.

Asked by Val, Willingboro, NJ Mon Jan 31, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jerry Barker’s answer
Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Tue Feb 1, 2011
The assessed value will not stand in the way of you selling the property. The higher the taxes are the less people will be interested in the property so a tax appeal may be worth trying in any event whether you stay or sell.
Web Reference:  http://www.sjrates.com
1 vote
Dp2, , Virginia
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Yes, you need to contest the assessment. You'd need to obtain a CMA (based on recent sold comps) and an appraisal. Afterward, you could submit copies of both with your request to contest that recent assessment.
1 vote
Valerie Pres…, Agent, Medford, NJ
Tue Feb 1, 2011
Hi Val,
Call the Willingboro Tax assessor at (609) 877-2200 option 4, option 7. You will need three comparables to show the value of your house. Which park do you live in? I'm a realtor who lives and works in Willingboro. I'm very familiar with Willingboro homes and can help you with a CMA. Call me at (609) 284-3825 or e-mail me at valeriepressley@kw.com.

Valerie Pressley
Keller Williams Realty
1 vote
Larry Sarlo, Agent, North Wildwood, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
I am assuming the re assessment happened last year... and now you have received your tax bill or escrows and you noticed the increase.
If you have just been re assessed you will have an opportunity to to appeal their decision now. Set up an appointment with the assessing company or assessor. If the assessment was last year then your appeal process is now. Do not wait.
The assessment figure is based upon the market value of your home. Each town uses that number differently with an adjustment or without an adjustment. It really depends how they are figuring their tax base. I can;t tell you Willingboro's but you can call the tax assessor ask the rate and what the multiplier is if there is one. If the assessment is based upon 100 % market value then the assessment is their determination what the market value is.
April 30 is the last day to file your appeal.
Get 3-4 comps sold comparables... also get together some actives do not use foreclosures unless foreclosures represent 50% of your areas sales. Do use family transactions use fair value transactions. There is a list of non usable deed transactions on the state's tax revenue site.
Talk with assessor without any flaring emotions. They are doing their job and you will have to provide some proof why your home is valued less than what they are saying. After your talk if you get no where, which I suspect you won't, file your appeal. They will have a packet there for you. If you need comps call me... I have access to them for you.

If you have problems with the appeal process, because it can be confusing but it is not hard, you can purchase a program that helps you with the process every step of the way. You can go here http://goo.gl/aZ6wB read a little and go to the site where the program is. There many out there but it is the best Ive seen. $39.00 Video Walk Through on how to proceed + Presentation Format + Forms + How To Step-By-Step + Lifetime Updates. It's been around a long time. I spoke with author a few times and I have used the same format for my appeals and have won all except one. That was because of the conspiracy they create when you go to the tax appeal itself. But I ended up winning in tax court with the very help of this program.

You also have other options, so while you are looking into appealing you can look to your alternative options.

Have any other questions or assistance
Larry Sarlo
Weichert Realtors
1 vote
rich and vir…, Home Seller, New Jersey
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Most towns have an appeal process. I am sure you can call your local tax assessor and ask how to start the process.
1 vote
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Hi Val,

First you need to determine if your home is being taxed unfairly compared to other similar homes. If it is (which is unlikely), than you can proceed with a tax appeal. Contact your local assessor and follow the procedure to the letter, especially with respect to deadlines and required paperwork. If it is not (which is likely), then you are out of luck.

A tax increase that is caused by a general township-wide reassessment is not something you can fight as an individual. It is a political problem. Your option in the short term is simply to pay or leave your home. Your option in the long term is to vote for smaller, more responsible government.

A tax increase caused by a specific assessment on your property is something you can fight. But only if the tax on your home is excessive compared to other similar homes. This is fairly rare, but worth researching just in case.

Good luck!


Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
201 Route 10 East
Succasunna, NJ 07876
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Coolest map-based home search: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote
Joseph Manci…, Agent, Sewell, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
The assessed value generally has little to do with the "market value". The important question is, can you sell it for market value?

Joseph Mancini
AVALAR Atlantic Properties
office: 856.256.1250
mobile: 856.275.6433
fax: 856.879.2024
email: Joe@landmanNJ.com
1 vote
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Thu Feb 17, 2011
Here is the information on filing a property tax appeal in New Jersey. You need to do it by April 1.
Good Luck!
0 votes
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Tue Feb 15, 2011
All good answers. If you think you have a case, then pull together your comps and march down to city hall. A tax appeal attorney will be helpful. An agent can help you gather the info from the MLS which is the best source of data.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
0 votes
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Wed Feb 2, 2011
The assessed value is not an indicator of a homes' true value. You have the assessed value, an appraised value, and the price you received as suggested by a comparative markeet analysis when you go to sell a house. The appraised value will be the most accurate indicator of your homes true worth. A town will will assess a value and there is a ratable by which they multiply the assessed value to come up with your tax rate.
There is a way to get your taxes lowered and that is with a tax appeal. It is the time of year to apply. A tax appeal attorney can be a big help.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Feb 1, 2011
Lower your taxes best confer with the county .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Lynn Thomson, Agent, Moorestown, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Hi Val:
I have helped sellers appeal their real estate taxes many times. I would be happy to assist you with this process. I had a recent case where the Twp assessor agreed to reduce the taxes over the phone just by sharing the current list price of the home and a projected sales price.
Ultimately, it depends on the Twp you are dealing with and their requirements.Please feel free to call me and I will walk you through the process. I can provide the comparable sales that will be required.
Good Luck!
Lynn Thomson
0 votes
Ines De La C…, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Hi Val,
Yes, you can contest the taxes you are paying within the time Willingboro allows. Call them to find out that part.
Then, have a Realtor to show you comparable homes in your area so you get an idea of what those taxes are. Then do your paperwork with the Township.
I think you have to try to fight your taxes and see what happens.
Good Luck,
Web Reference:  http://www.inesdelacruz.com
0 votes
Helen Cocuzza, Agent, BayHead, NJ
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Hello Val,
Having appealled my own taxes, twice-- I hear you loud & clear, we were't looking to move just be in a decent tax assessment bracket, I didnt feel that they had assessed us properly so my first step was to talk with a lawyer that does this specifically! You should have one in your area. They can get you started & represent you as well & it is not as difficult or as expensive as you'd think, (I thought the same thing). You can do it yourself but the first time at least speak to the professionals so that you know the proper procedures & filing fees. Then you or your lawyer will get comparables of the properties that are as similar to your as possible the closer the better that have SOLD in the past 1-2 yrs, your area may have different guidelines which is why you need to talk to a lawyer first, they do a report & will let you know if indeed your property was assessed to high OR NOT, then you go to either mediation to work out a deal or right to court to remedy this with the court advisers/judge,etc. This will take some time, but I suggest you get this done if it is going to help you sell at a better amount, A Buyer would most definetly consider the taxes when buying so your being smart about it! Good Luck, Helen Cocuzza Realtor Associate Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Mary Holder. (732)232-1614 Email: hcocuzza@maryholder.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Market Conditions in Willingboro Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more