marcixiii, Other/Just Looking in 53090

My father built this house in 1949 or 1950...not 1959.

Asked by marcixiii, 53090 Sat Aug 3, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/homes/Wisconsin/Milwaukee/sold/657918-…

Answers

6
Hi Marcixiii,

All of the information that Trulia (or Zillow, or any other real estate search page) gets comes from the public tax record from the local municipality. This information is coming from the City of Milwaukee public records data base. I did a search in the tax record for the address on Mill Rd and here's what it reads:

Building Square Feet : 2774 Year Built : 1959 Township : 8N
Bedrooms : 3 Year Remodeled : Range : 21E
Full Baths : 3 Effective Year Built : Section : 30
Half Baths : Air Conditioning : Quarter :
Total Rooms : Fireplace : Yes Pool :
Number of Stories : 1.00 Number of Units : 1 Attic : No Attic
Building Type : Ranch Basement : Full Basement
Exterior Wall : Heat : Exterior Condition : Garage :
Land Use : 8810 Single-Private Households School District : 3619 Milwaukee
Zoning : RS3 Residential Single-Family Historic Designation :

So as you can see, the City of Milwaukee tax record says the house was built in 1959; Trulia gets their information from the tax record. So to resolve the issue, you will need to contact the City of Milwaukee and have them correct the tax record.

Good luck! Please contact me if I can be of any further help with your real estate needs!

Kris Plechaty @ First Weber Group Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 4, 2013
We did not live in the basement. All walls were up when I see pics of my brother who was born in 1951. I know in 1950 the walls were all up, the doors were all in and my parents and 3 oldest kids lived in the "finished rooms". I was born in 1956 and the rooms were all done . I am still thinking a typo or that when Milwaukee took over Fussville or Granville which ever it was, they were put on the tax rolls and the mistaken year was put in the records. I know when they moved in the walls were not painted , just sheet rock with the white splotches. It was just for nostalgia I looked up the home and noticed the year built discrepancy.
Excellent and thorough answer by Kris.

I know you stated that you have memories and pictures of the construction going on, but I want to add that during those years many home owners purchased land and built a basement and were allowed to live in the basement until the main floors were completed. Is it a possibility that this is what happened? I know that very often the year listed in the tax records is the year the home was completed and occupied.

Just a thought.
Yes, all information comes from the city database. You can see your property here at MyMilwaukee Home http://assessments.milwaukee.gov/remast.asp?taxkey=1499926100

One quick walk thru would show 1949 or 1959 as construction was very different in during those 2 eras.

Good luck, Mark Dallmann @ Shorewest
Construction was different in those eras...but my Dad was very exacting, a perfectionist and ahead of his time. He found a plan and made it his own and with the design plans he implemented I would love to be living there now. This is not my property...I was just confused when looking it up and saw the date listed as I know it is so wrong.
Flag Sun Aug 4, 2013
Is 1959 the year that Milwaukee took over that area? I was little, only 3 but I believe it was called Fussville or Granville. Could that be why records are messed up? I have pics of my parents and my 2 oldest brothers building the house in I believe 1949. They were like 8 and 9 but helped out. I think it was ok'd for occupancy in 1950.
Get the facts correct...11121 W Mill Rd Milwaukee was built in 1949 or 1950 by my father and mother. It was built before my brother was born in 1951 and I was born in 1956 and the house was already there...answered my own question...but why do you and Zillow both have the date wrong?