Susan Nugent, Real Estate Pro in Katy, TX

Looking for Builders in Houston!

Asked by Susan Nugent, Katy, TX Fri Apr 8, 2011

Why purchase a new home? Do you save more money purchasing a new home vs. a resale! Which is the better value.?

Answers

5
Vickey Wacht…, Agent, Katy, TX
Sat Apr 9, 2011
There are many reasons why buyers choose a new home over an existing one here are a few:
1. It's all new and they are the first to live there!!
2. Energy rating and that is a cost savings in the long run
3. Builders inventory may save you some money

Reasons for buying exisiting homes
1. Established neighborhoods so there is no surprises as to what will be built down the road
2. Trees, you can't get large shade trees in new neighborhoods very often
3 The buyer can make changes to the house to make it theirs, up dates and up grades...(kindda hard to justify knocking out a wall or ripping out flooring in a brand new home)

These are just a few of the reasons, my reason for moving into a new neighborhood is that it is much easier to make freinds in a new neighborhood. We have done both several times and it has always been the case, when everyone is new around the same time everyone tries a little harder to get to know each other. Although that may not be a money saver it sure is a sanity saver.
Kar Wai Lam, Agent, El Segundo, CA
Sat Dec 22, 2012
Hi Susan, some new home have energy efficent finishing to the property that are great saving. The realtor and the builders will be able to help you understand them better. I have a builder that was pretty confident that their new built have utitlities bills from clients showing a very good saving on their monthly bills. Whereas the older properties or the resale properties are slightly different. Some older properties with a good puchase price may required more of your atttention and time. You may need a expert to check, roof, plumbing and all. But if the resale is relatively new the advantage is the neighborhood are more settle in, you can see right off the mature landscaping surrounding the area. I strongly suggest to drive by the property in the evening a couple of times and even ask neighbours to see what their comment maybe. Hope this helps :)
George "Loca…, , Houston, TX
Wed Aug 22, 2012
the answer to this question depends on a few factors. if the resale home is in a neighborhood that is not even half built out then the new home may be the better deal because the resale home may be very close in price since it is not that old. but on the other hand a resale home may have a lot of upgrades the seller put into it, like a pool and outdoor kitchen and many other things inside and when the sell the home many times they eat the cost of those improvements when they sell.
Jewel Johnson, Agent, Cypress, TX
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Buying a home should be more of a lifestyle decision as well as an economic decision. But here are a few other things to consider.

Location - New homes are typically on the outskirts of town and offer newer schools but most likely a commute to work is inevitable.

Price - Existing homes may be less per square foot depending upon your market and price is generally easier to negotiate. Builders normally have some incentives to overcome the pricing objective.

Neighborhood - In older neighborhoods, home values could change drastically based upon the population, the conditions, renters, etc. However, a new neighborhood/development offers a particular lifestyle.

Living space/design - new-construction homes often employ more efficient, innovative uses of square footage and property.

Customization - In a new house, you can pick your own color schemes, flooring, kitchen cabinets, appliances, custom wiring for TV's, computers, phones and speakers, etc., as well as have more upgrade options. Modern features like media rooms, extra-large closets and extra-large bathrooms and tubs are also more attainable.

Safety - Builders have to follow very strict guidelines in new-homes.

Landscaping: An existing home offers mature trees, vibrant shrubs, gardens, rose bushes and perennially well-watered lawns - these are some of the rewards of an older home, while most new homes are most likely to offer baby trees, little to no walkways and light vegetation. Landscaping is expensive today for the cost-conscious home builder.

Energy Efficiency - Advantage of new construction.

Amenities - Many new subdivisions offer neighborhood clubhouses, swimming pools, playgrounds, bike and jogging trails and picnic venues for residents.

Maintenance - An older home has an increased tab on maintenance but with a new home be prepared to shell out a few bucks after the warranties expire.

Taxes - Newer homes are most likely in less-developed, outlying areas, which may garner higher taxes because the municipality is subsidizing fewer residents than the metro area.

There are a lot of really good builders who stand behind their product but beware because there are some who do not offer a great product and will not stand behind it.

In any event, buying a new or resale home without an experienced real estate professional or real estate attorney is very risky.
Shehnaz Bidi…, , Katy, TX
Fri Apr 8, 2011
It all depends what you are looking for, what area and how soon you need to move. I have gotten some really good deals from my builders recently, since I do specialize in new home sales. More homes I sell, better discount I am able to get from my builders to help my buyers. So I do have leverage. Please, feel free to call me on my cell at 832-563-2709 if you need further assistsnce.