Is there a reason why some land is really cheap in Hawaii?

Asked by Li, Connecticut Tue Apr 1, 2008

I noticed that you can buy land for really cheap in some parts of Hawaii. I've seen prices as low as $10,000. Why is this so? Is there something wrong with the area? What would be an advantage of buying a piece of land like that?

Answers

16
Jayney Arden, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Hi JLIC!

Patrick is correct, and I will add that there are many other factors as well, most importantly amenities and location. The least expensive land in Hawaii is on the Big Island and most likely in Kau, the southern tip district. Lots in Ocean View are primary on catchment water systems. Farther south to Na'alehu and Waiohinu you will find county water available. Also, there are a number of lots that are 'off grid" meaning no power at this time. That's not to say it wont' be available in the future, it just isn't ready now. Living on solar is quite commonplace in these parts and not considered a hardship at all, same goes for catchment water.

Also, one needs to consider that many lots are covered with lava with little to no vegetation and require machined site work before one can build. Heavy equipment operators are quite used to this and lava is easy to manipulate. Actually, in many cases, site work on a lava lot can be less cost prohibitive than some of the very steep more densely planted areas.

The farther you go from a populated town, such as Kona or Hilo, the less expensive lots and properties are going to be. HOVE is over an hour to town in either direction.

Then there are the Lava zones, too. HOVE is in a higher risk area and Na'alehu and Waiohinu are not. That being said, the views in Kau are some of the best on the island. It just depends on your priorities.

Good luck in your search!

Jayney Sharpe
Coldwell Banker
Licensed in California & Hawaii
I have been living in Hawaiian Acres for almost 6 years now...I literally LOVE it here! My home is totally off-grid, yet very upscale...your paradise is what you make it!
Flag Thu Aug 25, 2016
...so many "chicken little" characters waiting for the sky to fall...
Flag Thu Aug 25, 2016
mosquitos, rats, putrid water, no power, meth heads and thieves, vog, and lava. Hauling water will ruin your rig, wild pigs will root your garden, the locals dont like howlies. I lived there for 7 years, glad to be stateside.
Flag Tue Mar 29, 2016
Hi, , Virginia
Tue Apr 1, 2008
you probably have to walk to it because there are no roads
no electric
no water
maybe a volcano next door

anyways

good luck
Lorri, Home Buyer, Sarasota, FL
Mon May 8, 2017
If it's the Big Island, it is subject to Volcano eruptions and earthquakes. Black Sands beach completely disappeared during an eruption. You take your chances on the Big Island. That being said, it is my favorite island.
L. A. Swann, Home Buyer, Pahoa, HI
Wed Jan 11, 2017
Old thread but I am replying! yes land is cheap here because it is raw land. You must plan well if you wan to buy land here in Hawaii. I have submitted 2 offers on 2 different parcels. One is side by side, but seller wants to sell both parcels, so he will probably no accept my offer. You must clear you land. You can hire a guy with a D9 and he is about $200 and hour. He can clear your land how you like it. Personally I would hand clear it to see if there are any native plants, you don't want to kill them. Once you buy, you get permitted for septic system about $4000 and set up your catchment tank. I am using a swimming pool since it is more affordable, yes it works great. Then I will put up what is called an Ag shed under 700 sq ft. This is non permitted. If you want permitted you will have to deal with code enforcement office and pay a lot of fees. It still is cost effective especially if your nice and patient with them. Homes 800 sq ft and over require permits and inspections too see if your up to code. Yes they will come out and check on you.
Carlt1947, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Jun 16, 2016
Most subdivisions in Puna district do not have water or sewers. Most people have a catchment system that drains from their roof into a huge tank. Usually they do not drink it. They fill jugs at county water spigots.
Instead of sewers, we have cess pools which are nothing more than deep holes pounded in the lava. Cess pools have recently been banned for new construction, and a septic system will cost thousands.
gpend1942, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Apr 15, 2015

Your question is valuable. Because of non worthy place, the lands are so cheap when compare to other. For example, if you looking for land in main area, it's have high rate. On other hand looking for land in rural area the land will be cheap rate and nobody looking for that. People preferred flexible area. So this is a cause for every area like Hawaii. Well Hawaii is a famous place, of course it has huge tourist place. But People doesn't have interest on buying the Hawaii land. There are some land is really cheap in Hawaii. http://www.mandmbangalore.com/
Aziza Young, Home Buyer, Pahoa, HI
Fri Feb 28, 2014
you get what you pay for also Hawaii has the highest number of meth users in the nation and a lot of the people here are poor and get various government assistance
Yes true but you don't have to live on their road or hang out with them. Get big dogs trained well to secure your area. Put barbed wire around your fence so it looks like a prison camp, use runway lights that's come on automatic on motion sensor to blind them. All kinds of ways to deter bad kine people, they eventually give up and look for an easier target. They dont want to get shot or bit by a big dog
Flag Wed Jan 11, 2017
Aziza Young, Home Buyer, Pahoa, HI
Fri Feb 28, 2014
Aziza Young, Home Buyer, Pahoa, HI
Fri Feb 28, 2014
a lot of the land is lacking infrastructure such as county water or electric poles and there is little dirt and most of it is zone for agriculture and the cheap ones are close to the volcano which mean you may have to deal with vog , and lava flows and a lot of it isn't suitable due to lava tubes and caverns
Mimran188, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Hi,I am Pakistani and want to settle in Hawaii,I want to buy a land anywhere in Hawaii,can I buy in 10000US to 15000US Dollar.This is my range to buy the land,tell me please,can its possible and after get the land,can I live hawaii for long time
What is wrong with you people? Have we really fallen so low that we are rude to people on these types of forums. Our country was founded on diversity. Let it go already. Yes, you can buy land on the Big Island for mega cheap...whether it is developable or not is in question. There is a large amount of poverty and lots of tourists. Plus...it is an active volcano.
Flag Thu Mar 20, 2014
what is wrong with you just staying in pakistan, If you move to hawaii you will lower the real estate values
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
No, you cannot by land here cheap, for 100,000 or 150,000. Too expensive here. Very high prices here.
Flag Thu Oct 24, 2013
Wendylani, Home Buyer, Silverdale, WA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Many of these properties are "undeveloped"; meaning uncleared, usually lava covered that requires bulldozing. Many of these properties have no water lines, sewage hookups and electrical poles. Many are in the Puna area, which can be dangerous at times.
K. Kemper, , Phoenix, AZ
Sat Jun 30, 2012
no utilities. Near lava tubes and flows.
this area is very close to the world's most active volcano. But the flow changes direction
every so often--ONE B and B has onlly one way to reach it--by helicopter--if it has not
burned down yet.

I am going to be building in that area but I am not doing so, blindly!
Kimo Stowell, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Thu Oct 16, 2008
Aloha Li,

The Big Island is where you will generally find the least expensive land in Hawaii and for good reason, volcano's. The closer you are to an active volcano the less financing is available and the higher risk that your property could be affected by an eruption.
Mike Gallagh…, Agent, Honolulu,, HI
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Aloha:
My name is Mike Gallagher and I am Broker in Charge at RE/MAX Honolulu.
For many of your Hawaii Real Estate answers please view the latest data at my site: http://www.hawaiirealestatestatistics.com

I can also be reached at mikeg@hawaii.rr.com

Land Values are directly proportionate to population density, utilities available and Views available.
Many buyers choose to retire to the 'Big Island' of Hawaii as the land prices per square foot are much less expensive than say almost anywhere on the Island of Oahu.

Much Aloha,
Mike G.
Patrick Lamb…, , Waikoloa, HI
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Hi, Just Looking in Virginia is not correct. In most cases there are both roads and electric... thought here area few that are lacking those amenities. The island is made up of 5 volcanos, there is no escaping them. The area is very beautiful, very desirable, and very affordable. Quiet, peaceful and a great place to retire in Hawaii or live with a family ... Ka'u is the most perfect place on Earth. Really.
Patrick Lamb…, , Waikoloa, HI
Tue Apr 1, 2008
You must have been looking at my web page! Well, the reason some land is cheap is because there is so much of it in some areas. In HOVE, which is one of the largest subdivisions in the world there are over 400 available vacant lots for sale. So, you know that's not a typo I will repeat myself. There are over 400 available vacant lots in HOVE. Some of the lots available, like for $10,000 are so high up on the mountain it takes over 20 minutes from the main road. The higher up in the subdivision the cheaper the lot. It is a beautiful area and many of the higher ups still have an awesome view. If land in the Ka'u area is what you are looking for I promise you wont be disappointed if you call me for service. Send me an email of what your needs and desires are and we can take it from there. patjlambert@aol.com
Hi Patrick. I am interested in purchasing some inexpensive real estate on the Big Island of Hawaii for retirement. I am not ready to purchase anything yet but if you have any monthly publication with real estate possibilities that you could send I would appreciate it. My email address is

Dave
Flag Fri Mar 3, 2017

Dave Taft
Flag Fri Mar 3, 2017
Hi, nice to read a factual review about Hawaiian real estate from someone who is there as apposed to comments from people who have never been there. I am hoping to make my retirement home in Hawaii.
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013