Maria.formen…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I would like to ask everybody tells me to stay away from the canyons, address similar to bowmont drive? If i could ask why, is it a health concern?

Asked by Maria.formenton, New York, NY Thu Jul 17, 2014

Answers

9
Blaine Richa…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jul 18, 2014
To answer your question, It is hard to know exactly what some people mean when they say stay away from canyon properties or those similar to Bowmont Drive. Properties in the canyons can be some of most desirable properties around, that is why so many celebrities love them.

However, this is also something to think about, properties located in the canyons can be subject to damage during extreme rainfall. We have seen this in the past and when we have had excessive rain these areas frequently experience mud slides. The canyons are usually most susceptible by their own nature. In some instances these canyon properties also have a great deal of trees and shrubs that provide a natural privacy barrier between neighbors, During times of drought, that can be a fire hazard depending on the exact location and several other factors.

I am a Realtor in the Beverly Hills area and I would welcome any questions you have. Please feel to call me any time. I would be happy to show you homes in the area that you will love. Best to you Blaine Richards - DRE # 01874909 310-817-9988
Silver Lake…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
The Canyons and any hillside property if you can find it is particularly ideal; at least from my buyers looking in the greater LA area - they are always scouting out options in the Canyons & hillside property first and then moving down into street level areas if they cannot meet price demands, etc.
From a value and appreciation standpoint the canyons & hillside properties in general are nice moving forward. -- Trey Hohman
Melchor, REA…, Agent, Orange, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
Hello Maria,

First and foremost, thank you for posting a question here at trulia. I appreciate it. One thing that you can do is contact the city in regards to their testing of air, water and any other test of interest. By doing this, you will get exact readings and make an informative decision. I hope this helps. I am here to help you.

Melchor Perez
Brian Byhower, Agent, Hermosa Beach, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
I think it's because 7-11 is so far away and it makes those late night beer runs difficult.
Mark A. Diff…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
Hi Maria,

The only "health concern" from living in the hills of Los Angeles would be from potential Radon Gas.
Some areas are known to have higher readings over others. Although Radon is not commonly found in Beverly Hills, I advise all of my hillside buyers to perform a radon test prior to purchasing the home.

If a higher than standard level of Radon gas is discovered, there are mediation systems that can easily be installed. Radon is found nearly everywhere across the U.S. and free home tests are available through the EPA. Learn more here: http://www.epa.gov/radon/

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mark A. Diffie

Lighthouse Properties
P. 310.486.7085 F. 310.427.7196
b.r.e. 01727235
mdiffie@gmail.com
http://www.MarkDiffie.com
rochelle tet…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
If anything the "air" in the canyons in better than the "air" elsewhere. You have lush foliage. Why would anyone tell you to stay away from the canyons? They are the most desirable in Los Angeles. Obviously, stay away from the main streets which have a lot of traffic, but you should make a point of living in the canyons, if you can.
Jim Malmberg, Agent, Burbank, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2014
I live at the top of Stone Canyon and love the area. It's like being outside of the city, but you are only a few minutes away from everything. You also have a much easier commute. I can get anywhere on the West Side or in the SF Valley in about 20 to 30 minutes even during rush hour. And I get to avoid the freeways.

The one thing that I would caution you on is that if you are thinking about buying anywhere in the hills of Los Angeles, you probably want to get a geological inspection first. You want to make sure that your property won't have trouble with landslides in the rain or in an earthquake.

Jim Malmberg
http://www.JimMalmberg.com
(818) 728-1100
jim@jimmalmberg.com
CA BRE# 01815608
Susan Bo'ur, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
I would ask those same people what their concerns are.
Many of my clients prefer the area for the seclusion and privacy..and larger lots.
Cell phone service can be an issue but there are solutions.
Please email the specific addresses your looking at, I can then give you any pros or cons.
Susan Bo'ur
Realtor/Coldwell Banker
Susan@BeverlyHillsLuxuryFlats.com
Chris Thomps…, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Thu Jul 17, 2014
Are you referring to Bowmont Drive in Beverly Hills? If so, some Angelenos would typically like to avoid canyons due to rain. Although it rarely rains in Southern California some streets in the canyons are severely affected when there are heavy rains. Mudslides, and debris sliding down hills are some of the main hazards. With that said, no canyons usually means no views. There are always trade-offs when buying a home, but depending on your price point, it is possible to find a home in the hills with limited exposure to these hazards.

We would love to help you find your perfect home.

Chris Thompson, Broker, GRI
Chris Thompson Realty, member of Siris Realty Group, Inc
818-279-2422