I purchased my house in Woodbridge in May last year. Has the value gone up or own and by how much?

Asked by Woodbridge, Woodbridge, CT Fri Aug 14, 2009

It's 4 bedroom, 4 full bathroom, 2 car garage(connected) and 3,500 nsf plus a 1,200 nsf unfinished basement on a 1.7 acre lot( creek in the backyard). Has the value gone up or down since then?

E-mail address is: lars.branden@yale.edu

Answers

4
Chris Lovejoy’s answer
Chris Lovejoy, Agent, Woodbridge, CT
Thu Mar 7, 2013
The value of your home depends on the buyers in the market. During the past year, values have trended down in Woodbridge, however certain homes have defied this because of their unique qualities. For instance, if there happens to be a buyer(s) looking for a certain architectural period, and yours is the only property for sale from that period, you can charge a little more for your home. In addition, if a person is looking for a ranch in good condition and there are no other ranches in good condition on the market, that allows you to sell yours for more.

Woodbridge appraisors are very understanding of the value of uniqueness in Woodbridge and the offer itself can serve as evidence of the value of the home (especially if there was more than one offer).

I cannot tell how this pertains to you without looking at your property.
Harriet Coop…, Agent, Woodbridge, CT
Thu Sep 19, 2013
It's difficult to make an assessment without seeing your home. Have you made any improvements, updated appliances, roof, furnace, septic? Your sq footage is a plus. In general home prices in Woodbridge have not appreciated since last year. However if there is something unique, location or style about your home you really just need one Buyer to appreciate it. Not knowing where your home is & the condition of the home I can't really predict the future.
Margaret Shea, Agent, Cheshire, CT
Fri Sep 4, 2009
All things being equal, unless you have made major renovations and additions to your home, the value has gone down since May 08.
Appraisers are much more conservative when preparing appraisals for sales and are using comparables no older than 6 months, preferably 3 months if possible.
Here is the link to get to the field card for your home which will tell you what the town of Woodbridge is using as an appraised value for tax purposes. http://data.visionappraisal.com/WoodbridgeCT/search.asp
Please feel free to contact me for more information.
Margaret Shea, e-PRO, CDPE
Jack Mulroon…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Aug 17, 2009
Hi Woodbridge, Unfortunately, it is likely your house has gone down in value in a big way. Maybe as much as 30%.

Facts such as condition and curb appeal are major factors that can effect the overall value. Also, many of the homes on the market today are not up to snuff with competition in surrounding areas. When buyers looked in specific towns Woodbridge had special things to offer. Now with new buyers willing to commute a little and shop a lot, Woodbridge has to get more competitive with surrounding towns.

Without knowing your specific house, I can say that in Woodbridge, most homes would do better with targeted improvements and upgrades to match what is selling in the market.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions.