I need to find out how much houses in my area sold for in March 2008. How do I do this?

Asked by Tsully, Oakland, CA Mon Feb 23, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lisa Cartola…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Tue Feb 24, 2009
Hello Tsully,

There are several avenues you can use to find the information. As mentioned already you can use several different online resources to access this information. In addition you can employ an Realtor to help you pull this data from the MLS and tax records. As also mentioned if this data is being used to reassess your property taxes you can contact the Alameda County Assessors office directly at http://www.co.alameda.ca.us/assessor/

If you would like information regarding sold properties, please let me know.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Lisa Cartolano
Alain PInel Realtors
Web Reference:  http://www.LisaCartoalno.com
1 vote
Krista Miller, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Hi Tsully,

Zillow can be a good source for finding this information as well. You simply plug in your address and then on the left hand nav bar there is a section called "recently sold." Then you can edit it to show the last 3, 6, or 12 months, etc. However, I do need to caution you that Zillow is simply a tool and if you are looking to find out what your house is worth, Zillow should only be used as a guideline. But to find out what a house sold for, it is a great resource.

Good luck,
Web Reference:  http://www.kristashouse.com
0 votes
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Feb 23, 2009

Lately, we've seen, and I've received several requests like yours. At first, the requests were a bit perplexing. But after asking a few questions, it turns out that the folks who are inquiring are seekiing to have their property taxes adjusted.

Is this the same question for you?

As such, there is a methodology to determine what the comps are. And engaging your realtor to help you is one of the steps you can take. I don't charge to help my clients, so I hope your realtor won't charge a fee for this service either.

Just getting a list of houses in a zip code won't help since the true comps will have to based on your immediate area. The difference could be night and day once you cross MacArthur, for example,.

Start by identifying the type of property you have (house? condo? townhouses?), how many bedrooms, what square footage (house/lot), condition of the property, And most important, property address or location.

Then we:

*Search sold properties in the vicinity of your property within a certain period of time (for our purposes, we can even go 6 months prior to end of March 31, 2008)
*Select a few possible comps
*Select the most recent and most comparable properties and choose three for the comparison
* Then using $/sq ft, making adjustments for condition, upgrades and improvements, we recommend thr market value of the property as of March 31, 2008.

Then your realtor can complete the form you can download from the Alameda County. Some folks know where to go, how to proceed. Some need a little help. As a service to folks in Alameda County, CA, here is a good start:

Assessor's Office http://www.acgov.org/assessor/assrinfo.htm
Assessment Appeals http://www.acgov.org/clerk/assessment.htm
Assessment Appeals

Good luck!
0 votes
Peter McMahon, Agent, Farmingdale, NY
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Try searching for sale information at the property tax assessor's web site for your area.
Web Reference:  http://www.petemcmahon.com
0 votes
Eric H. Wong , Agent, Albany, CA
Mon Feb 23, 2009
The information you seek will be more useful if you are more specific. What kind of home? how many bedrooms? What square footage? What neighborhood in the 94601?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more