I'm interested in purchasing in Malden. Is this neighborhood due for an upswing or is it going downhill?

Asked by Jodi Andersen, Boston, MA Tue Aug 25, 2009

The reason I am concerned is I have family ties to the town from my perspective it has started to look more and more seedy over the years. However, the proximity to Boston suggests that it will gentrify like virtually every other neighborhood in the Boston area has (e.g. Jamaica Plain, Somerville, Dorchester, etc.). According to online statistics it does seem to have a higher crime rate (both property and violent crime) than Boston overall. This certainly concerns me. The schools, however, are supposed to be great.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Answers

6
Jay Devens, , Bradenton, FL
Sun Mar 28, 2010
I am not a realtor or agent, just a person who used to live in Malden back in the 90's. Really liked it when I first moved there but after several of the downtown stores closed and rent control ended in Boston, sending those people into Malden, I felt that it became less safe to live in (suddenly we had gunshots, scary looking transients, etc.) I'm sure there are nice parts of Malden but I'm currently looking to move back to the North Shore and Malden isn't on my list (although it's in my price range.) My suggestion is this: Go to a target neighborhood in Malden and talk to the people who live there. (You can also ask the local mailman, as he goes through many neighborhoods in a day.) See if you see parents and kids out playing. Do people loiter around who seem out of place? Check crime statistics online. Call the Malden police and ask about local crime. Go into local stores and see if people seem friendly. Take the Orange Line in from Oak Grove or Malden Center and observe. Drive through Malden at night and see what you observe.

I do these types of things myself when scoping out a new neighborhood to move into. Hope this helps.
Mandad80, Home Buyer, Lynn, MA
Mon Oct 12, 2015
Malden is a mildly unsafe city, even though it is nice and sunny as a picture. The only surrounding community that is still very safe is Stoneham. Safer parts of Malden are Forestdale, Oak Grove, and the West End. On average, the more north or west you are the better, yes closer to Stoneham. However, the Linden section is decent. Some parts of Melrose are also safe, except that I would avoid the parts near Melrose Square.
Shawn Sulliv…, Agent, Medford, MA
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Jodi,

Being a resident and builder of some properties in Malden, I feel this is one of the best places to live for sheer dollar value. We have two T-Stops, all K-8 schoools are less than 12 years old, 3 High Schools, the best YMCA in the state, parks, reservations, and the proximity to Boston is fantastic. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or if you would liek to see what the homes are selling for in Malden
Web Reference:  http://www.ShawnsMyAgent.com
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Fri Feb 5, 2010
Hi Jodi- Here is some other good info on the town in general.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Malden-Massachusetts.html

and schools at-
http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?state=MA&…

I lived in Malden for 2 years; its definitely a decent town to live in; also coached sports there.
If I can be of any help, with financing or anything else, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
Shawn Sulliv…, Agent, Medford, MA
Thu Feb 4, 2010
Jodi,

Having lived in Malden for 20 years and grown up in Somerville. I feel the value for properties in Malden with the logistics and proximity to Boston give it excellent value. Are you familiar with the Time magazine article as one of the Best Places to live in Massachuseets? Please feel free to contact me and I can go over this in detail.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Aug 25, 2009
I would pay attention to local politics & to the success/failure of the local schools. Proximity to the city, quality of schools and development opportunities tend to be the three key factors that drive gentrification and a corresponding rise in real estate values. It sounds like you know the town so you probably have as good a perspective as anyone. Also certain locations have been more negatively affected/infiltrated with foreclosures and short sales since the markets crashed so perhaps this is what you are physically seeing in the last year in parts of Malden. Very few markets are insulated from down turns like these (back bay, beacon hill, wellesley, brookline, areas of cambridge, etc). I can tell you that from my perspective we see lots of young professional families considering Malden.

Here is a link to everything on the market (foreclosures and short sales are marked):
http://www.bostontre.com/results.aspx?keyword=malden&utm…