I live in a property which I am told my apartment is a Market value and cannot be reduced in rent. I detical apartment across the hall is 200 dollars

Asked by Coop6908, 77013 Thu Jul 21, 2011

We have lived here for 7 years and been told over and over that this is a market value apartment although it is physically identical to other units renting much cheaper. I was going to seperate from my wife and was told I am 54 and could not live here even though I have paid for 7 years . My wife is 61 however they said I could stay at full market price. I am on disabilty at 54 and feel this is very wrong. Market value seems to be determined by age and income at this property

Answers

5
Despina Gian…, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Dear Renter,

According to the Fair Housing Act, discrimination based on your disabilities is illegal. As for income, many properties require you to make (through work, income) a certain percentage more of the monthly rent per month. They may be wanting to make sure that they will be receiving rent from you every month. If there are identical properties renting for less, they are definitely over charging you, and I would just find a new place that is less expensive to live in. If you need any help with this, let me know if I can help you.

Despina Giannakis
Keller Williams- The Metropolitan
Main: 713.202.6444

http://www.ANewView-Houston.blogspot.com
Diane Schrak…, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Hey Coop6908,

If you are in an income restricted property, I can see how this would be correct. Are you in an income restricted property?

Diane Hermis
Total Real Estate Services
832-620-6304
dianehermis@yahoo.com
Coop6908, Renter, 77013
Fri Jul 22, 2011
oH YES i COULD ALWAYS MOVE AND BE A QUITTER BECAUSE RULES ABD REGUALIONS ARE MADE UP AS THEY GO A LONG. yES iT IS FUNDED BY hUD BUT i HAVE ALWAYS PAID MARKET VALUE FOR THIS BUILDING.
Sorry for caps......I sent them a certified letter last year telling them that income had dropped and approached them a positive way only to be given the run around. Also I just noticed my name as not been onthe lease ever since the first lease seven years ago. Hah but they cash my check. Could this be that with only my wife on there they get a kick back off HUD for lower income. hell I am not even listed as a resident. When asked if I needed to sign was told no your wife is on the lease we only need one.. Nowhere does it list me living here for the last 6 plus years Moving is the easy way out. A message needs to be loud and clear that market value is not determined by level of income. So I guess as long as people like this ride a system and make rules accordingly but wont put them in writing I will stay and pursue this. The bottom line is How much money they can squeeze. Me being told I had to leave without a resident over 55 but I could stay if I paid full market price while age 53/54 on disability . Is a double standard they are creating
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jul 21, 2011
The general lease market is down as so many homes are coming on the market for lease as those owners cannot sell them. This includes town homes and condos. That being said, rental markets are very local. You are doing the right thing in checking to see what other units in the area are leasing for. I would think they would want a steady renter to stay VS them leaving over a price increase on the rent. Your age might be an issue if it is a 55 and over community. Note, I was told by law they cannot discriminate on age and 15% of the community can be leased to those under 55.

In negotiating, you need to know what the competition is doing...you have done that. Now show them the proof and tell them if they will not work with you, that you will leave. At that point you need to be prepared to follow through. It is easier for a business to keep a client than to find new ones. Hopefully they will not increase your rent if you agree to a long term committment. Keep in mind the cost of moving, hooking up utilities, etc in your calculations. If we can help, let us know.

Mark McNitt
Bernstein Realty
m# 832-567-4357
Dana Mathews, Other Pro, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jul 21, 2011
many of the complexes are on 'yieldstar' systems now. the rates change daily and hence are called 'market rates' for THAT DAY. so, you can only compare rates for the specific day and specific year the same unit was leased out. (I know this probably makes no sense...) for you to get an apartment on your own, if your wife is the primary one on the lease and you are an occupant- for you to change from an occupant to the primary, you will have to meet the rental qualifying criteria all new applicants must meet (it's a fair housing thing). if you need help getting an apartment on your own... give us a shout! our attorney completes the entire application process for you and provides a rental guarantee on your behalf to the landlord.