I just received my new property appraisal which of course has increased. I would like to obtain some comps

Asked by Jmo, Lubbock, TX Wed Apr 16, 2008

from the last 6 months to see if I would be able to appeal the new estimate. Any advice on who to obtain the comps?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jim Johnson, , 78233
Wed Apr 16, 2008
You should contact the agent who sold you the house. Be candid about your motives and remember to give him/her a referral. You can also get a general idea of the values by searching for properties for sale in your neighborhood on realtor.com. Use the median price home as a basis for your comparison. The difference between homes for sale and sold properties will amount to pocket change worth of difference in your taxes.
1 vote
Jmo, , Lubbock, TX
Wed Apr 16, 2008
Thank you for the responses. The reason I feel I would benefit from a lower estimate would be to pay less. I don't plan on moving anytime soon and didn't think the county's appraisal would be that influential in the sale of my home. It was already appraised higher than I bought the home. I didn't use an agent for the sale. It was a for sale by owner.
0 votes
Paul B. Perez, , Austin, TX
Wed Apr 16, 2008
I understand that you want to dispute your estimated taxes, but are you going to question them every time your property appreciates? Most folks would be ecstatic to know the value of their property increased. Just want to understand your motivation? Cheers. Paul
0 votes
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Wed Apr 16, 2008
Jim's answer is great. The agent who sold you the home should want to keep the relationship alive and this is part of the service involved. Check with your assessor to see if they need an appraisal or if a market analysis will do. You will pay for an appraisal but this may be required. The leg work by the agent could save you time and money if the value can still be justified. (dont appeal in this case)
0 votes
Gary Owen, Agent, Lubbock, TX
Wed Apr 16, 2008
I can help you with that. Send me an email directly with your address, and I'll be glad to help you with that. My email address is gary.owen@coldwellbanker.com.
Web Reference:  http://www.Lubbock4Sale.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more