I am thinking about appealing my NJ real estate taxes. Does anyone know how much it costs to hire an appraiser for this task so that i can appeal by?

Asked by Suburbangal, 10001 Fri Jan 29, 2010

myself? OR, do you think it's a better idea to pay some lawyers to do this? Their fees are 25% of the savings achieved from the appeal. Otherwise, if i don't win the case, then they don't get paid.

Answers

4
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Apr 6, 2010
Lou (Sorce) and I go back a long time and have been in the business the same amount of time............he is a pleasure to work with.......feel free to give him a call Suburbangal.

If you want another opinion, call Chris Healy of Metropolitan Appraisal in W. Caldwell......another "old timer" in the business! (I am showing my age!!!).
Monroe, , Red Bank, NJ
Tue Apr 6, 2010
Louis Sorce, SCRREA,CTA (908)273-2412 has about 25 years in the appraisal industry and specializes in tax appeals in Essex County.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Hi Suburbangal

If you email me, I will be happy yo give you the name of an experienced appraiser from Essex County who can help you with this. I am not sure what his fee would be, but, as you mentioned, it is usually a % of the savings. You don't need an attorney to file an appeal.

In order to have a strong case for appeal, it is my understanding that you would have to show your home is assessed, for tax purposes, at least 15% higher than similar homes in your area. Of course, with home values dropping, that may factor in,too.

There are also time constraints as to when you must file .............April 1 used to be a cut off date, but that may have changed.

Good luck, and as I mentioned, email me, and I will send you the name of the appraiser I know.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Weichert Rea…, Agent, Watchung, NJ
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Suburbangal: Have a look in the yellow pages and call around. Will you sell and relocate within New Jersey? Regards,